Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I will be honest here. I don't know all that much when it comes to building your own website. But that's why I've come here. To ask what the best starting point is.

I used to use iWeb in the past. I know it was just a WYSIWYG webpage builder. But that's all I needed it for. This was years ago obviously. Since then and now I have stopped doing this. But now I am interested in making a new webpage. Just to share an online newsletter I am making with the local community and the world. I don't need a fancy webpage. I just need one that works.

In short I have a peroidic newsletter I am writing and need a webpage to share it. And maybe have an archive of all the separate articles from the newsletters. That's it really.

What would be the best way to accomplish this task today?

Would something like Blocs be the way to go? I've had a look at it and it seems to do what I need, but I don't know of anyone who has had actual hands on experience with it. To know if it is the best tool to complete the task I need done. So far this looks like the right way for me to go. What does everyone think?

Rapidweaver exists too. But not sure if that's the best way to go.

PS. Assume my HTML and similar knowledge is rather low. I know a little of that stuff but not enough to be considered even remotely good at it.

PPS. I'd prefer to do this on OS X, not iOS.

Last edited:

baruchsienna

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2016
Check out Sparkle.cx, available on the App store. Or, re-reading your post/needs, I think Wordpress might be the best solution for you as it handles archiving past issues more elegantly.

Reactions: 5aga

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sandvox is probably the closest to what you're used too. Its billed as an iWeb replacement. That means the learning curve is much lower.

I've used Rapidweaver in the past, it has a bit more of a learning curve, but the downsides of RW, is that you usually need to buy plug-ins to extend the app to the point where it works the best for you, which of course drives up the cost.

I'm looking at Blocs right now, this has a bigger learning curve but I'm liking what it has to offer, though this may be a bit over kill for your needs.

Check out this review, while its about a year old and most of the apps have been upgraded, it gives you an idea of each app.
Web design review roundup: Our favorite Mac apps for building a website
[doublepost=1465383057][/doublepost]
I think Wordpress might be the best solution for you as it handles archiving past issues more elegantly.

Good suggestion, Wordpress may very well be the best bet. I've not used that in eons, so I can't provide any insight in terms of ease of use, or complexity of ramping up.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Check out Blocs, may be a bit complicated at 1st but it's an extremely powerful tool for creating websites.

busterv

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2016
Tucson
I would like to recommend Sparkle. It has virtually no learning curve and is the closest to iWeb that I've found (after looking into Sandvox, Blocs and others. And after using Freeway Express and Pro since Apple announced they were no long supporting iWeb.) Sparkle can do pretty much anything, it's all drag and drop pretty much like working on a Pages document. All I needed were a couple of videos on YouTube and I was up and running. I really like it a lot and, as much as I liked Freeway, am sort of grateful I was forced to make the change.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
I will be honest here. I don't know all that much when it comes to building your own website. But that's why I've come here. To ask what the best starting point is.

I used to use iWeb in the past. I know it was just a WYSIWYG webpage builder. But that's all I needed it for. This was years ago obviously. Since then and now I have stopped doing this. But now I am interested in making a new webpage. Just to share an online newsletter I am making with the local community and the world. I don't need a fancy webpage. I just need one that works.

In short I have a peroidic newsletter I am writing and need a webpage to share it. And maybe have an archive of all the separate articles from the newsletters. That's it really.

What would be the best way to accomplish this task today?

Would something like Blocs be the way to go? I've had a look at it and it seems to do what I need, but I don't know of anyone who has had actual hands on experience with it. To know if it is the best tool to complete the task I need done. So far this looks like the right way for me to go. What does everyone think?

Rapidweaver exists too. But not sure if that's the best way to go.

PS. Assume my HTML and similar knowledge is rather low. I know a little of that stuff but not enough to be considered even remotely good at it.

PPS. I'd prefer to do this on OS X, not iOS.

iWeb is awesome! I've always really liked that app. Luckily, it still works on El Capitan. Do you still have it? If so, I'd use that. Everything else just seems clunky.

A lot of word processors, like Word, will export as web pages.

Or, the web hosting service likely offers basic web design features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.