Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
If I buy an ipad pro (getting a 2020 model when it releases) and go for the lte model, would i be able to just go to say america and swap out the sim and use an american data plan? Same question goes for iphones too but I am more concerned about the ipad

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Barring SIM lock, yes, you should be able to.

The 3rd gen iPad Pros (and presumably all upcoming models) also support eSIM so no need to even swap physical SIMs. You can sign up for a data plan from AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint directly on the iPad.

The iPhone, T-Mobile has an app to sign up for prepaid service via eSIM. The other carriers only support eSIM for postpaid.

Reactions: ruslan120

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Barring SIM lock, yes, you should be able to.

The 3rd gen iPad Pros (and presumably all upcoming models) also support eSIM so no need to even swap physical SIMs. You can sign up for a data plan from AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint directly on the iPad.

The iPhone, T-Mobile has an app to sign up for prepaid service via eSIM. The other carriers only support eSIM for postpaid.

Thats a relief. I wanted to buy next years ipad pro with data but since I am moving back in april 2021 I was worried it might not work. Also american cell phone companies offer so many more goods for less than japan that its unreal. I was just looking at the t mobile plan with netflix included. Sounds great to me

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
If I buy an ipad pro (getting a 2020 model when it releases) and go for the lte model, would i be able to just go to say america and swap out the sim and use an american data plan? Same question goes for iphones too but I am more concerned about the ipad
You should honestly just get an eSIM.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
Thats a relief. I wanted to buy next years ipad pro with data but since I am moving back in april 2021 I was worried it might not work. Also american cell phone companies offer so many more goods for less than japan that its unreal. I was just looking at the t mobile plan with netflix included. Sounds great to me

The Netflix on us is only if you have two voice lines I have a iPhone 11 and iPad Pro 11” and Apple Watch and I do not qualify for the Netflix on us oh and I also have a DIGITS line for my pixel4xl Just wanted to give you heads up on that

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
The Netflix on us is only if you have two voice lines I have a iPhone 11 and iPad Pro 11” and Apple Watch and I do not qualify for the Netflix on us oh and I also have a DIGITS line for my pixel4xl Just wanted to give you heads up on that

Oh. Well that sucks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.