Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
2023 update
For anybody still using this (16.04 v2) i created a tutorial with some extra files to extend the life of it. Basically we change the sources.list to Debians (since Ubuntu's repo is dead) and make a few changes to allow packages to be updated and installable again. Download it here, extract it, and read the README.txt for more info.

remix20.04-pb17.png

======================= Original Content Starts Here==========================

Updated to v2 (03/04/20)
Here it is. New and improved over the stock 16.04 release. You can use as a live dvd / recovery system, or install it. What's changed since the original release back in 2016?

Added SpiderWeb, SpiderMail, InterWeb and Arctic Fox (modern web browsers and email client)
Added wifi firmware, sound modules, and windfarm (fan) modules loaded by default
Added battery indicator for laptops
Added right click for ibook/powerbook users via 2 finger tap (PB) or left ctrl + click (IB)
Added inxi and neofetch cli system info scripts
Added midnight commander (mc) cli file manager / editor / ftp client
Added discord and facebook messenger plugins for Pidgin
Added custom wallpapers and better default theme
Added Libre Office 6.2
Disabled the annoying crash reporter that always ate cpu cycles
Added conky desktop system monitor with custom layout (menu -> run, type conky -b)

There might be more that i'm forgetting, but that's the basics anyway.
Download is roughly 1.5gb

Sound is enabled, but muted by default. Open terminal, type alsamixer, right arrow key until you highlight "pcm", up arrow key to set desired volume level, esc key to exit. If you have a laptop add pmu_battery to /etc/modules and reboot to get a working battery indicator.

Here's some known yaboot parameters to boot with:
The default option is 'live' (try this first)

Nvidia Geforce 6600 & FX5200 use
Code:
'live video=TV-1:d video=offb:off nosplash'

Nvidia Geforce 6800 use
Code:
'live video=TV-1:d video=TV-2:d video=offb:off nosplash'

Radeon 9xxx cards use
Code:
'live radeon.agpmode=-1 radeon.modeset=1 video=offb:off nosplash'

ATI Rage 128
See this post: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/lubuntu-16-04-remix-updated.2204742/post-29426690

Generic frame buffer drivers when all else fails
'live video=radeonfb:1024x768-16 nosplash'
'live video=nvidiafb:1024x768-16 nosplash'
'live video=rivafb:1024x768-16 nosplash'

ubuntu16remix.png

How to update 16.04 with more current software from Debian ports packages.
Download the attached guide above and you could get results like this.

powerbook-g4.png

Bootable 16.04 remix persistent USB: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvgazHau05-HivRRFsohswoPJbJXBQ?e=96x9PF
Use dd to write the .img to a 4gb or larger USB stick.
Boot with either: boot usb0/disk@1:,\yaboot or boot usb1/disk@1:,\yaboot (this works on my powerbooks)

NEW: Lubuntu 12.04 Remix-v4 (updated 04/15/20)
I did pretty much the same as i did for 16.04 remix. Updated the browsers, tweaked some configs, enabled sound, wifi, fans etc. This absolutely FLIES on my mac mini G4 and G5, and is probably better suited for G3/G4 machines. I decided to do this as the software and base OS are more "period correct" for the hardware, and it shows. Even the live DVD is fast (once booted).
Same as with 16.04, sound is enabled but you need to run alsamixer and unmute "pcm".
To block ads on the live CD or installed system: sudo cp /etc/hosts.deny /etc/hosts (now enjoy ad free surfing)
New in v4:
Updated the installer slideshow
Added new icons and default theme.
Added i2c-dev for keyboard backlight on powerbooks
Added youtube-dlg (graphical front end to youtube-dl)
Added new default wallpaper and icons
Added mouseemu for better control over the trackpad.
Added latest ArcticFox, SpiderWeb, InterWeb browsers and SpiderMail (thunderbird-like email/news/rss client)
Added updated 2019 ca-certificates
Added a bunch of extra useful software
Added an "extras" folder on the DVD with kernel 4.19.113 for G5 users. Also included greasemonkey for all 3 browsers, a modern theme for spiderweb, and viewtube for spiderweb.
I compiled and included the latest ffmpeg, irssi, screen, mtpaint, pidgin, uget, transmission, putty, scribus, bluefish and rebuilt, xchat, xournal and mplayer/mencoder (1.2.1) as well. Also updated abiword to 3.0.0 (couldn't get newer to build without rebuilding a ton of libraries).

Grab it here (about 1.2gb): lubuntu-12.04-remix-v4-ppc.iso
If the new ffmpeg got replaced during upgrade grab it here and copy both files to /usr/bin (as root)
Original 12.04 remix-v1 for machines without a dvdrom drive (about 670mb): here

Shown running live DVD on a powermac g5
lubuntu12remix-v2.png

BONUS: I built the latest kernel 4.19.113 for ubuntu12 64bit (G5's). Get it here.
BONUS: Here is kernel 3.13.0-170 for 32-bit ubuntu12 (G3/G4's). Get it here.

ANOTHER BONUS: (added 04/22/2020)
Macbuntu!

This is pretty much the same as 12 remix-v4. The only differences are i included gparted and mixxx software-wise. However this is aimed at resembling OS X Tiger/Leopard for that familiar look and feel. Also this DVD.iso includes both kernels linked above, and the README.txt has been updated to explain how to get youtube to work smoothly and set up docky (the dock) to your liking.
Download (about 1.3gb) macbuntu-remix-ppc.iso

My Powerbook G4 with MacBuntu
macbuntu.png

BONUS: I patched snes9x to bypass OSS and /dev/dsp and use asound instead on ubuntu12. It's attached below.

BONUS AGAIN: I built bitlbee-3.6 and the Discord plugin for Ubuntu12remix and macbuntu.

Updates for the web browsers can be found here and here.

Updated 2021 ca-certificates can be found here. (install with: sudo dpkg -i /path/to/ca-certs.deb)

Updated /etc/apt/sources.list for 12.04 to reflect ubuntu moving the repository to old-releases.ubuntu.com.
See this post: here

Cheers

Attachments

• snes9x-ubuntu12.zip
    941.8 KB · Views: 653
  • ubuntu-16-to-18-upgrade-guide.zip
    104.4 KB · Views: 958
Last edited:

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
Here it is. New and improved over the stock 16.04 release. You can use as a live dvd or install it. Live is semi limited in features vs full installation however. What's changed since the original release back in 2016?

Updated to 16.04.6 with security updates as of 10/07/2019 (not on live dvd)
Removed old firefox (not on live dvd)
Added SpiderWeb and SpiderMail
Added wifi firmware, sound modules, and windfarm (fan) modules loaded by default
Added right click for ibook/powerbook users via left control + click (not on live dvd)
Added custom wallpaper (not on live dvd)
Added a few more openbox themes and Shiki-Wise gtk theme
Adjusted swappiness to use 90% ram before using swap (not on live dvd)
Disabled the annoying crash reporter that always ate cpu cycles (not on live dvd)
Added conky desktop system monitor with custom layout (not on live dvd)

Download is 1.8gb. Please read the readme.txt in the .zip

Edit: Sound is enabled, but muted by default. Open terminal, type alsamixer, right arrow key until you highlight "pcm", up arrow key to set desired volume level, esc key to exit.

View attachment 868052

Cheers
This is cool, with all the updates and everything but why get rid of old Firefox, because now on 32 bit machines we don’t have a full web browser anymore... Firefox quantum doesn’t work on 32 bit yet.

lewis.donofrio

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
Is there a real mirror/repo that we can update sources.list to reflect this awesomeness? Does it address the install and then blackscreen issue?

Reactions: Andy1248

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
Because i replaced it with SpiderWeb. It's equivalent to FF60.9.
Sorry, didn't really know much about Spiderweb, I've heard of it many times and I was told it was a light browser and I kind of assumed it was like Odyssey Web Browser or the other incomplete non HTML compliant browsers.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@lewis.donofrio : Once installed, it will continue to use the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS repository for packages/updates until they drop support in April of 2021. If the live dvd boots and works on your machine (with proper colors/resolution), the install should also boot just fine. During install yaboot will update yaboot.conf to whatever parameters you gave yaboot to boot the DVD.

Also note if you are on a G5, the linux hard drive has to be in the upper bay, or it wont boot or just black screen as you mentioned.

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Thought of preload after the fact, and wasn't rebuilding for just that, and SW is more capable than AF. Once installed people can install them if they want. :)

Cheers
[automerge]1570645395[/automerge]
@lewis.donofrio No netinstall, but you could create a bootable USB stick :

Reactions: sparty411

lewis.donofrio

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
while I could create a usb boot, unless thing have gotten simpler usb OF booting of usb is 'not fun'

lewis.donofrio

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
can I install on one hardware type like put cdrom powerbook into target disk mode and use an ibook with firewire to target drive system and install that way?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@lewis.donofrio It's not that bad. Once in OF just type: boot usb1/disk@1:,\\yaboot or boot usb0/disk@1:,\\yaboot depending on which usb slot you used.
Not sure about target disk mode. Never really looked in to it. Might be possible.

Cheers
[automerge]1570646378[/automerge]
@MoerBoer in terminal type : scrot nameofimage.png or scrot -d 10 nameofimage.png (-d delay 10 seconds)

Last edited:

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
I selected the powerpc64 live version on boot and it's working just fine :)

Live boot working nicely.

On my 1.67ghz Powerbook G4 15 inch boots off a usb fine, I get to the desktop and as soon as I click on the menu it locks right up. Might be a hardware problem? OS X is however working fine on same hardware. Maybe I'll try another usb stick.

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
On my 1.67ghz Powerbook G4 15 inch boots off a usb fine, I get to the desktop and as soon as I click on the menu it locks right up. Might be a hardware problem? OS X is however working fine on same hardware. Maybe I'll try another usb stick.

Same thing happened on my 1.33 iBook G4.

minicm

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2019
Guatemala
Here it is. New and improved over the stock 16.04 release. You can use as a live dvd or install it. Live is semi limited in features vs full installation however. What's changed since the original release back in 2016?

Updated to 16.04.6 with security updates as of 10/07/2019 (not on live dvd)
Removed old firefox (not on live dvd)
Added SpiderWeb and SpiderMail
Added right click for ibook/powerbook users via left control + click (not on live dvd)
Added custom wallpaper (not on live dvd)
Added a few more openbox themes and Shiki-Wise gtk theme
Adjusted swappiness to use 90% ram before using swap (not on live dvd)
Disabled the annoying crash reporter that always ate cpu cycles (not on live dvd)
Added conky desktop system monitor with custom layout (not on live dvd)
Added HOSTS file to block most ads / malware (not on live dvd)

Download is 1.8gb. Please read the readme.txt in the .zip

Edit: Sound is enabled, but muted by default. Open terminal, type alsamixer, right arrow key until you highlight "pcm", up arrow key to set desired volume level, esc key to exit. If you don't see the volume icon on taskbar add snd_aoa_i2sbus to /etc/modules , save and reboot.

If you want to use the custom wallpaper shown with the live dvd it's located at:
/usr_2/share/lxqt/themes/Lubuntu/ubuntu-remix.jpg

View attachment 868052

Cheers
very interesting, i will try this on my PB 1.67ghz and my Ibook g4, this will be better than 12.04 haha

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
Has anyone got lubuntu working on any eMac model fine? I want to get a 1.25 or 1.42 GHz model to use Linux on but I was told eMac isn't supported due to graphic issues with the crt display.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Hmm, the installer refuses to execute on my iBook.
At all? Or just fails part way through the installer? I tested the installer for functionality (launched it, verified it displayed, then hit cancel), but I haven't tested actually installing on anything.

Cheers

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Has anyone got lubuntu working on any eMac model fine? I want to get a 1.25 or 1.42 GHz model to use Linux on but I was told eMac isn't supported due to graphic issues with the crt display.

You didn't buy one yet? Honestly, just get a Power Mac G4. It combines the best of the eMac and the best of the B/W. It'll serve you better in that it won't be restricted to OS X.

Getting modern Linux working on the eMac is a tremendous pain in the @$$, if it is even possible (I'm not current). Even Debian 7 and 12.04 are subpar experiences, thanks to the CRT's ever-shifting geometry with no way to change it via software.

To be blunt, eMacs are great machines. The last model rivals low-end iMac G5s, while everything prior went toe-to-toe with the iMac G4s. But if you plan on ever running anything besides OS X, looking elsewhere is strongly recommended.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
At all? Or just fails part way through the installer? I tested the installer for functionality (launched it, verified it displayed, then hit cancel), but I haven't tested actually installing on anything.

Cheers
It refuses to even open. I’ve tried clicking the desktop shortcut, as well as the application menu shortcut. No dice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.