Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Ahh, well this should fix the gfx issues. Boot with:
live video=aty128fb:1024x768-16 video=offb:eek:ff nosplash persistent

If that fixes it you can edit yaboot.conf to make that change permanent so you don't have to type it every time to boot.

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I'm unable to get the sound to work, even after booting with the "persistent" parameter and using the fix as suggested by @z970mp in the Linux Wiki.

I can only confirm the method's effectiveness when the OS is actually installed. When you do the upgrade, check out the dual boot section.

Expanding on @wicknix's suspicion, see if you can restore the image to another thumb drive from within the Linux Live environment on your iBook. I've never had luck with OS X DD; it's not necessarily out of the question it might have done something Linux DD would not, or vice versa.

That could be a path to explore.
[automerge]1574188294[/automerge]
Ahh, well this should fix the gfx issues. Boot with:
live video=aty128fb:1024x768-16 video=offb:eek:ff nosplash persistent

If that fixes it you can edit yaboot.conf to make that change permanent so you don't have to type it every time to boot.

I'm pretty sure Yaboot doesn't support emojis. :D

Jokes aside, I hope you realize that all these Yaboot parameters officially makes you the Yaboot man. That's a title with weight, you know. ;)

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I assume you mean this, sir? :D

Code:
live video=aty128fb:1024x768-16 video=offb:off nosplash persistent

No, he means this:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That will signal to Yaboot that the user is encountering insurmountable difficulties with the OS, so Yaboot will then adjust some special settings as necessary to counteract this. On the other hand, if you tell it:

o_Oo_O:mad::mad::mad:

Yaboot will interpret that as the user experiencing extreme frustration with the operating environment and is about to throw their computer off a cliff, therefore Yaboot must work fast to remedy the situation in order to save its life. In some semi-rare cases, it may also see this as brutal constipation. Whereas if it is told:

:D:)❤‍:cool::p:D♣✔

It will recognize that the user is having a good time with the OS, rates it exactly five point five stars, and wants Yaboot to post their review on Yelp.

...Or something like that, anyway. ;)

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I'm pretty sure Yaboot doesn't support emojis. :D

Then we need to fork it, make it do so and call it emojiboot - the boot loader that will make you and your computer go...

1195342_1.jpg

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Then we need to fork it, make it do so and call it emojiboot - the boot loader that will make you and your computer go...

1195342_1.jpg

Emojiboot System Requirements:

- iPhone 8 or newer

- Humans born in 2004 or newer

Last edited:

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I just tried installing to my Mac Mini. I booted the live image from a flash drive, using the specified command in the OP. I ran the installer, it partitioned the disk automatically. After rebooting, the mac can't find anything to boot from. So I booted to the flash drive again, only this time it didn't give me the option to put any commands in so I was unable to use this:
Code:
'live radeon.agpmode=-1 radeon.modeset=1 video=offb:off nosplash'
It just booted straight to the login screen, with the user I created during installation. Within 5-10 seconds, it freezes, and the screen starts to flash off and on.
I tried booting the USB again twice and this is what it does each time.
I can't tell if it installed anything to the hard disk or not, but the USB drive is no longer useable. I'll probably burn to a DVD so it won't be able to write to the flash drive during installation.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
No Problem, boot again, open Terminal...

This may help...
Thanks, I guess I didn't dig deep enough in the thread.
Thanks for your reply. May be i am doing something wrong. I attached the line

Code:
append="radeon.agpmode=-1 quiet video=offb:off nosplash"

to the end of the /etc/yaboot.conf, typed "sudo ybin -v" and rebooted.

Same Problem: the system locks up, the screen flashes a few times and remains frozen.

My Mini G4 is the same model as yours, late 2005, 1 GB ram, only 1.33 GHz and 32MB videoram.

I installed both of your images several times, did a p/r reset, but it`s always the same...

Edit: Yes, it works! Stupid me! I edited the "append=" line below the "image=/boot/vmlinux" and now everything is cool.
How exactly do I do this? I'm not able to reach the command line at all, it boots straight to the login screen and then shows the above symptoms.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Sounds like you mistakenly installed to the usb stick's free space rather than the hard drive. I'd recommend downloading the .iso instead if you plan to install. The usb.img was mainly intended for people who where too afraid to install or attempt a dual boot system.
On the other hand, if it DID in fact install to usb, you can still fix it. Right as it gets to the log in prompt, quickly hit CTRL+ALT+F1. This will drop you to console. Type: /etc/init.d/lightdm stop (it'll ask to enter password). This will kill the GUI thats freezing. Now type: sudo mcedit /etc/yaboot.conf and add the above to the "append" line (deleting whats there by default). Then hit esc+2 to save, then esc+0 to exit the editor. Now type: sudo ybin -v (this writes the changes to the bootloader). Now type: reboot. Upon reboot you shouldn't have GUI lockup/glitches any more.

Cheers

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Sounds like you mistakenly installed to the usb stick's free space rather than the hard drive. I'd recommend downloading the .iso instead if you plan to install. The usb.img was mainly intended for people who where too afraid to install or attempt a dual boot system.
On the other hand, if it DID in fact install to usb, you can still fix it. Right as it gets to the log in prompt, quickly hit CTRL+ALT+F1. This will drop you to console. Type: /etc/init.d/lightdm stop (it'll ask to enter password). This will kill the GUI thats freezing. Now type: sudo mcedit /etc/yaboot.conf and add the above to the "append" line (deleting whats there by default). Then hit esc+2 to save, then esc+0 to exit the editor. Now type: sudo ybin -v (this writes the changes to the bootloader). Now type: reboot. Upon reboot you shouldn't have GUI lockup/glitches any more.

Cheers
I’m not sure what happened. I just burned a DVD. I’ve installed it again using the DVD, now it boots from the HDD. However I still have the above problem. I dropped down to the command line, but after typing sudo mcedit /ect/yaboot.conf I get this:
B1BF0EFE-7D9B-4C29-8510-BF214CF5A4FF.jpeg
I tried the same thing using nano instead of mcedit and nano said that /ect/yaboot.conf doesn’t exist.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I’m not sure what happened. I just burned a DVD. I’ve installed it again using the DVD, now it boots from the HDD. However I still have the above problem. I dropped down to the command line, but after typing sudo mcedit /ect/yaboot.conf I get this:
I tried the same thing using nano instead of mcedit and nano said that /ect/yaboot.conf doesn’t exist.

The file is

/etc/yaboot.conf

(that's e-t-c) :)

Yours says /ect/yaboot.conf.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
God d*****. I guess I'm dyslexic now. Disregard my last post.
I'm not a complete linux noob, but this is definitely not the first time I've typed in /ect/ instead of /etc/. Probably the 2nd or third time over the years lol

I often read "etc" as "ect" too. ;)

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I often read "etc" as "ect" too. ;)

I read completely over his mistake the first time, in the several occurrences it was repeated.

Funny how the brain simply scans over meaningful details like that, oftentimes automatically replacing its perception of the mistake with something it knows is good, like etc, instead of instantly stopping and saying "Hey, there's a problem with that."

What a pain... ;)

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Funny how the brain simply scans over meaningful details like that, oftentimes automatically replacing its perception of the mistake with something it knows is good, like etc, instead of instantly stopping and saying "Hey, there's a problem with that."
The worst thing is proofreading something I wrote myself. I know what it's supposed to say and have to constantly tell myself to actually read what's on the page. Anyway, back on topic :)

chicago-joe

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Chicago, IL USA
Thanks. I had searched around and got it running. Even without graphics acceleration, everything runs well, the gears benchmark runs at 61 FPS. Only problem is that videos are playing in odd colors in Spider. Will try the PCIE 6600 this week and see how it works. Many thanks for the remix and help.

Joe

So I had some time to work with the 4x2.5 G5 system a little more, I was looking for a way to have accelerated graphics with the Nvidia Quadro FX4500. Searching around I found this thread:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/quadro-fx-4500-power-mac-g5-quad/11907

and the Yaboot parameter "live-powerpc64 nouveau.config=NvMSI=0" seems to work on the FX4500. I still need to figure out if I have true accelerated graphics, but the system seems very stable. This parameter did NOT work with either the 7800GT or 6600LE cards. It looks like nouveau driver has issues with MSI interrupts, the above link has much more information. This might be useful for anyone else playing with a G5 with PCIE graphics.

neofetch.jpeg

Thanks for all the help,

Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: z970 and wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@Project Alice : Just following up to see if you got it figured out. Attached is my yaboot.conf for 1 of my G5's with a FX5200 in it. Just edit the highlighted line with the boot parameters that work with your GFX card, save it, then run: sudo ybin -v and reboot.

yaboot.png

Cheers

Reactions: Project Alice

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
@Project Alice : Just following up to see if you got it figured out. Attached is my yaboot.conf for 1 of my G5's with a FX5200 in it. Just edit the highlighted line with the boot parameters that work with your GFX card, save it, then run: sudo ybin -v and reboot.

View attachment 878883

Cheers
Yes, thank you! I did get it figured out. It seemed to be working well, I didn't play with it too much yet as I got distracted by my MDD.

Reactions: wicknix

errorlog

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2019
Looks like my Mini G4 has a new Life. Pi-Hole is up and running. I had to compile the FTLDNS by hand, but all ist well documented in the links.

It`s just up a few minutes, but everything looks good.

Next thing on the list is WLan, so it can be used as an AP for my IOS devices.

@wicknix: tnx for your work and support. I had so much fun with my recycled mini G4.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-27 um 10.21.41.png Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-27 um 10.22.53.png

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Updated original first post. Just added a 12.04 remix also. It was LTS until 2017, so after install, and updates are applied, the software is still semi-current vs tiger/leopard. It's FAST. My mac mini G4 feels like my dual G5 now. I liked it so much i wiped 16.04 and installed it. Something to be said for "period correct" software and OS for the hardware. Download link in first post.

Cheers

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I'm unable to convert the iso to an img. I don't know why as it worked previously.

From Terminal with the iso on my desktop and the CD command with desktop so that it can see the file, I've typed the following:

Code:
hdiutil convert lubuntu-12.04-remix-ppc.iso -format UDRW -o lubuntu-12.04-remix-ppc.img

To which, Terminal responds with this:

Usage: hdiutil convert -format <format> -o <outfile> [options] <image>
hdiutil convert -help

It appears that I have used the command in the wrong order, so I then re-typed it:

Code:
hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o lubuntu-12.04-remix-ppc.iso lubuntu-12.04-remix-ppc.img

Terminal then outputs:

hdiutil: convert failed - No such file or directory

I then tried:

Code:
hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ~/Desktop/lubuntu-12.04-remix.ppc.img ~/Desktop/lubuntu-12.04-remix.ppc.iso

This also failed.

Where am I going wrong here?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I'm not sure i understand why you want to make it an .img. If all you want to do is boot from USB, just dd the iso to a usb stick. It'll then act just like the live dvd.

Cheers

Reactions: TheShortTimer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.