Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2015
On one of my Macs, the Mac App Store Update screen says all its apps are up to date, but they are not. On my other Mac, the update screen correctly shows several apps that need updating. The apps on the first Mac are older versions. When I search in the App Store on the first Mac for one of those apps, the app screen in the Mac App Store correctly tells me that the app needs updating, and clicking manually on "update" gets the update going. Oddly, I had set the App Store preferences to automatically update apps on that first Mac, but that wasn't happening either.

I keep my Macs updated to the latest MacOS versions. The problem began a few weeks ago, at some point after the Catalina updates rolled out. Don’t know which one.

Any suggestions on how I can get the Mac App Store update screen properly telling me what apps need updating? Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: sorgo †

Gpulvi

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Buenos Aires, Argentina
On one of my Macs, the Mac App Store Update screen says all its apps are up to date, but they are not. On my other Mac, the update screen correctly shows several apps that need updating. The apps on the first Mac are older versions. When I search in the App Store on the first Mac for one of those apps, the app screen in the Mac App Store correctly tells me that the app needs updating, and clicking manually on "update" gets the update going. Oddly, I had set the App Store preferences to automatically update apps on that first Mac, but that wasn't happening either.

I keep my Macs updated to the latest MacOS versions. The problem began a few weeks ago, at some point after the Catalina updates rolled out. Don’t know which one.

Any suggestions on how I can get the Mac App Store update screen properly telling me what apps need updating? Thanks.

I have the same issue, glad to know I'm not the only one... Maybe a fix is coming with Catalina 10.15.2

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I have the same issue. Does never check for updates. But when I'm looking for an app like "WhatsApp" it says i have to update it.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I have contacted the Apple support because of this problem but I only get answers like „Is it enabled?“, „Restart your MacBook“ and „Try with another account“. Why I have awaited more?

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
I have the same problem. I use MacUpdater and it tells me about App Store updates, long before App Store notifies me.

processexp10

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2020
You can try the steps below.

1. Open Terminal on your Mac
2. Type "sudo softwareupdate -ia"
note: remove ""
3. Press Return and type your password
note: you will not see anything when typing your password. After you type the password just hit Return.
4. Wait for the process to finish
5. Once finished, type "Sudo softwareupdate – -install – -all"

The steps above will install all available updates on your Mac.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
You can try the steps below.

1. Open Terminal on your Mac
2. Type "sudo softwareupdate -ia"
note: remove ""
3. Press Return and type your password
note: you will not see anything when typing your password. After you type the password just hit Return.
4. Wait for the process to finish
5. Once finished, type "Sudo softwareupdate – -install – -all"

The steps above will install all available updates on your Mac.
These steps will update the operating system but will not update apps from the App Store.
Also, “softwareupdate -ia” and “softwareupdate – -install – -all” (with 2 short dashes) are exactly the same command.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I forgot to shut down my MacBook over night and yesterday it showed me 6 updates. How comes? I don’t understand why swiping down like on iOS doesn’t work there.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think I may have found a solution to this problem. Today, I opened the App Store and it showed no updates. I opened my account info by clicking on my name in the lower left of the sidebar. Then I clicked on "manage subscription". I didn't do anything but select Done to close the account window. Voila! I had about ten app updates in the Updates tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.