Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
I have a question regarding Mac Mail

All of the mail and it's attachments etc are currently saved onto my local drive.

Is there a way to move all of my mail, with all attachments, to an external HD, and have that external HD be searchable within the mail program?

similar to how back in the day, you would put your large MP3 library on an external, then plug the external into your iTunes and all your music was there.

That's what I want to do, but with my mail.

Is there a way to do this? How do I do it?

Thanks!

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
The Mail program has no native facility to link to an external disk. Now you could make a symbolic link from the folder containing the root external mail folder and put it in the On My Mac mail folder. But, there might be a better way...

If you export the folder as MBOX file, there is a program that handles email archiving: MailSteward, and a multi-purpose program: EagleFiler.

These programs cost, but they’ve been in development for decades and are reliable if you read the manuals first and do it how they say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.