Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cybertruck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
Hey all,
I’m looking update my current setup. For the past ~5 years I’ve been using Apple Thunderbolt Display. I’m software developer and high PPI is important for me.

I’ve tried the LG 5K UltraFine for couple of days and it was glorious, but I’m still not sure if I’m comfortable with the price. Additionally, it seems that RAM upgrade is needed, given the Mac Mini iGPU performance.

Now I’m thinking for settling on dual P2415Q setup. Given the available Black Friday deals, I can order them at ~275€ each (regular price seems ~415€ here). However, it seems that this display was released originally in 2014. My question is — do you think it’ll be wise to order these in 2019/2020?

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
do you think it’ll be wise to order these in 2019/2020

I bought two last year to use with a new Mac mini. They work well. The only issue (which you'll likely notice, compared to the LG you had) is that the PPI is a bit lower, so at the default '@2x' resolution, stuff can be a little bit large. It's not terrible, I use them this way at the moment, but it may bother you more having had the TB display and then the LG.

If you're running just one, the Mini will generally be able to run at a different scaling (i.e. I'd personally prefer to run mine at 2304x1296) but with two it introduces lag and glitches.

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
Running 3 of those dell's from the macmini, this weekend switching to a razer core x & radeon vii. The current "version A03" of the p2415q can have the hdmi enabled to 2.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.