Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dejamoi

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Hello! It's me again, Bob Sullivan. I'm buying a new Mac Mini (as you might know) and chose the middle option (please note: my selection is based upon the upgrade to the Mac Mini occuring some time this week.)

Here's my question: It is REALLY worth the money to upgrade to 1 GB of RAM? I'm Canadian and it would cost me about 230 bucks! Excuse me, but isn't that a little expensive? Would it be cheaper to buy the mac, open it, and install some other brand of RAM that I purchased for less? Thanks for your help!

Soon to be mac user,

Bob

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yes, it's generally cheaper to buy and install the RAM yourself. For reasons only known by Steve Jobs himself, Apple charges exorbitant prices for RAM. :(

Congratulations on the new mini too BTW. :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Its sad, but Apple does charges ludicrous amounts of $$$ for their RAM. :rolleyes:

Go third party, Crucial recommended, and enjoy the peppy performance of 1GB of RAM and a few extra bucks in your wallet. :)

dejamoi

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Why Thank Ya

Thanks alot, I get your drift. I think I will do that, but I'm just afraid that I'll break my Mini in the process of opening it up. :confused: Does anyone know a site that has DETAILED instructions as to how to do this? Thanks for your help!

Bob

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini/

Or they can install the memory for you...however, it'd probably cost more this way than Apple RAM. Hope the video and picture guide helps. That's pretty much the best out there, so if you don't feel confident enough from these guides, I'd either get it installed by someone, or just *sigh* get the Apple memory.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
dejamoi said:
Hello! It's me again, Bob Sullivan. I'm buying a new Mac Mini (as you might know) and chose the middle option (please note: my selection is based upon the upgrade to the Mac Mini occuring some time this week.)

Here's my question: It is REALLY worth the money to upgrade to 1 GB of RAM? I'm Canadian and it would cost me about 230 bucks! Excuse me, but isn't that a little expensive? Would it be cheaper to buy the mac, open it, and install some other brand of RAM that I purchased for less? Thanks for your help!

Soon to be mac user,

Bob

You could try the machine out as it is with the 512 stick in there and find it to perform satisfactorily. If you do general web browsing, e-mail, word, occasional photo, you'll probably be OK. If you run a lot of open apps, several spreadsheets, iTunes in the background while performing photoshop actions, well, a G5 Dual is what you need. The point is that if you're an average user that doesn't place heavy demands on the system, I think you'll do fine as is from the factory. :)

If you want to update later and go for the 1Gig upgrade, you can buy RAM from any reputable dealer as long as it meets specs and has a no-hassle warranty, and install it yourself. You need to know that this upgrade is not for the faint-of-heart. :eek: You could easily ruin you iMac mini's case (or worse) if you're not carefull or don't consider yourself "handy". :rolleyes:

dejamoi

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Excited Already!

I am DEFFINATELY going to buy another reutable company's RAM and then put it in the Mini; I'm only 15 but I'm very articulate for my age. :D I'm going to try it, and if it works out well, I'll update you ASAP! Thanks!

Bob

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
mad jew said:
Yes, it's generally cheaper to buy and install the RAM yourself. For reasons only known by Steve Jobs himself, Apple charges exorbitant prices for RAM. :(

Congratulations on the new mini too BTW. :)

Other computer manufacturers are almost/just as bad. Check out Dell or HP or Sony.

dejamoi said:
I'm only 15 but I'm very articulate for my age. :D
Bob

ar·tic·u·late (är-tky-lt)
adj.

1. Endowed with the power of speech.
2. Composed of distinct, meaningful syllables or words, as human speech.
3. Expressing oneself easily in clear and effective language: an articulate speaker.
4. Characterized by the use of clear, expressive language: an articulate essay.
5. Anatomy. Consisting of sections united by joints; jointed.

[Pondering relevance to topic at hand]
Obviously you consist of many jointed sections and this will aid you in opening the Mac mini.

Anyway, welcome to Macrumors!

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I don't know about doing this for the Mac Mini - if you buy RAM from a reputable store that guarantees it will work, you're going to be spending > $150 for 1GB (on Crucial it's $170), whereas Apple is charging $175 for the 1GB upgrade.

I personally would pay for the Apple upgrade (and I would be comfortable installing the RAM) unless you're willing to risk a cheaper RAM stick not working and breaking the Mini while opening it, and having to deal with an extra 512MB RAM module.

You're not likely to get much for the 512MB RAM if you tried to sell it.

Other Apple RAM upgrades (e.g. for the PB) are definitely not worth it.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
dejamoi said:
I am DEFFINATELY going to buy another reutable company's RAM and then put it in the Mini; I'm only 15 but I'm very articulate for my age. :D I'm going to try it, and if it works out well, I'll update you ASAP! Thanks!

Bob

Good luck with your purchases Bob. You should go with the Crucial RAM link above. They will walk you through the process of getting the correct RAM for your mini. Welcome and good luck with your purchase. AppleCare is a good idea also. Will look forward to your update. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.