Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Kuo recently stated that there will be a new MacBook with scissor mechanism keyboard in second half of 2020. That's likely separate from MacBook Pro 16 which was just released. Therefore Kuo likely really meant a MacBook, as a MacBook 12 successor. Unfortunately, scissor type keyboard will not fit in a MB 12 therefore they probably will use something closer to MBA chassis and extra weight will take from the portability. Most important for me is to keep it fanless.

Last edited:

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
My 2011 MBA was touted as being fanless by various publications. That’s why I bought it. Imagine my surprise when I first heard it spin up in 2014.
As “designers” (lol) have made software more and more bloatedthe old MBA fan screams nearly all the time.

I expect software bloat to continue.

Do you really think today’s MBA will still be quiet in 4 years? Hint: it will not be silent.

Not to mention the new MBA screen is hot garbage.
How is the new MBA screen "hot garbage?" I own one. The screen's beautiful. 100 nits less than a Pro, but still beautiful!

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Who knows what they're thinking. I love the 12" MacBook - its one of my favourite ever laptops, but clearly it didn't sell well enough for Apple to keep it around. The reasons it didn't sell well (relatively speaking) are all out there, but I do wonder if they will make another ultra-portable?

The new Air is a lovely computer and is heavier/larger than the MB, but not by a massive amount. There's so many options for keyboards with the iPad now, that it does make me wonder if Apple see that as being the route for someone who wants something ultra-portable.

I still thought the smaller MB form factor would be a perfect one for the first ARM Mac - something similar to the old MB, but with the new scissor keyboard and an extra usb-c port would be a pretty cool design.

Problem is, if its still expensive, they might not sell many...

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
How is the new MBA screen "hot garbage?" I own one. The screen's beautiful. 100 nits less than a Pro, but still beautiful!

put it next to a 2017 macbook 12"

get back to me on that
[automerge]1574463898[/automerge]
Who knows what they're thinking. I love the 12" MacBook - its one of my favourite ever laptops, but clearly it didn't sell well enough for Apple to keep it around. The reasons it didn't sell well (relatively speaking) are all out there, but I do wonder if they will make another ultra-portable?

The new Air is a lovely computer and is heavier/larger than the MB, but not by a massive amount. There's so many options for keyboards with the iPad now, that it does make me wonder if Apple see that as being the route for someone who wants something ultra-portable.

I still thought the smaller MB form factor would be a perfect one for the first ARM Mac - something similar to the old MB, but with the new scissor keyboard and an extra usb-c port would be a pretty cool design.

Problem is, if its still expensive, they might not sell many...

it would cost an extra $50 for them to hack a keyboard onto the current $300 iPad and load MacOS onto it. They could sell it for $350 and still make a good profit, like any other Chinese company.

The fact that Americans don't understand this, is why Apple continues to get away with their "Apple Tax"

ETA: oh trackpad too... would cost extra...

say $375 for the complete package.

Last edited:

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Last edited:

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
I stumbled upon this thread as I just realized something about Apple discontinuing the Macbook 12" and lowering the price of the Macbook Air 13" to cover that price point.

Possible reasons why Apple discontinued the Macbook 12".
  • Intel cannot produce updated chips frequently enough for the Macbook.
  • Consumer demand softened for that price point.
  • Customers want more than 1 USB-C port or want Thunderbolt 3.
  • It would be cheaper for Apple's supply chain & design to consolidate the target market of the Macbook & Macbook Air under one product line even if they lower prices.
  • This decision may be in connection of Jony Ives leaving or the Macbook Pro 16". Both actions runs counter to "less is more" design philosophy.
In terms of dimensions the width and depth of the MBA 13" & MBP 13" are identical. Both also share the same dimensions of their retina display.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.