Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menziep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Im a regular on Apple Rumors sites and wellthey seem to be all saying the same thing (Even MR'w)

Well what are they saying...:confused:

There saying that a Ultra Portable Mac is coming soon.

Looking at Apples naming strategy at the moment i belive if on is released it will be called a "Macbook Mini" or somthing simler.

Aslo looking at current UPPC's like Sony, Samsung ect ive put together a Spec list that might make it in the the UPM

Specs

Name: Macbook Mini
CPU: Intel Core Solo (1.55) or Intel Core Duo (1.66)*
Memery: 512mb DDR2
Grahics: Intel GMA950 with 64mb Shared (Also Mini-DVI)
Screen:4.5 inch with 1024x768
Networking: Gigabit Ethernet
Video: Built in iSight
Wifi: a/g Airport Extreme
Bluetooth: 2.0 with EDR
Audio: Built in Speakers and built in Microphone
HDD: 60Gb or 80Gb*
Securty: Kensington cable lock slot
Optical Drive: n/a
Other Ports: 2 usb, 1 Firewire 400, IR
Power Adapter: Magsafe
Accessories: Apple Remote
Media Software: iLife, Front Row
Other Software: OmniOutliner, Comic Life, Big Bang Board Games

* This means it will proberly come with options

Anyway this what i think.:)

Please Comment

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Eh, me thinks it may be a while. I think that if they intro a Macbook mini, they would need to come pretty close to Mac mini/Macbook specs. But hey, Macbook should then go with the iMac, because the Macbook would be a step up from Macbook mini, but then we are getting into Macbook Pro territory. Therefore, Apple needs a brand realignment if they want to have product lines flow a bit better. This way, we have a product matrix similar to the one completed in 1999 with the iBook, except for with the Mini line thrown in.

But Apple will do it anyway. Just because I think it should be done this way.:rolleyes:

kaidomac

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2005
For one thing, the Apple website says that the laptop family is "now complete". For another thing, just think of the confusion the name "MacBook Mini" would inspire. I already confuse enough people when talking about the Macbook and the Mini seperately. "Isn't the MacBook the mini version of the MacBook Pro"? :D

auyongtc

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2006
kaidomac said:
For one thing, the Apple website says that the laptop family is "now complete". For another thing, just think of the confusion the name "MacBook Mini" would inspire. I already confuse enough people when talking about the Macbook and the Mini seperately. "Isn't the MacBook the mini version of the MacBook Pro"? :D

MacBook nano then... then again, that will trigger someone here to complain how confusing it'll get with MacBook and nano... like "my macbook nano cant sync with my nano"

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
4.5inch screen with resolution of 1024 x 768?! Anyone work out how many pixels-per-inch that is? lol. I have a 15" monitor on my PC running at 1024 x 768. Ouch.

IMO its more likely to be a 10" mini-laptop. I like macbook nano as a name though :rolleyes:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Hahaha, a 4" screen with 1024x768 resolution. Boy, I hope users don't expect to read text on that thing. ;) All the text would have to be sized 24 just to be legible.

And the HD? No way. I'd expect Apple not to consider releasing an ultraportable until flash memory based harddrives are widely available and cheap enough.

I'd expect:

- an 8" or 10" screen with an 800x600 resolution or lower, or the widescreen 16:10 equivalent of this.
- 20 or 30 GB flash based harddrive.
- 10-15 hour battery life (no spinning HD + small LCD = very very low power usage)
- 256 MB of RAM
- Modified version of OSX
- 2 USB drives, no FW.
- Wireless 802.11 a/b/g and whatever is predominant 1-2 years from now.
- Gigabyte ethernet
- Bluetooth 2

$1000 price tag. No, it won't be cheap.

menziep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
I got the screen idea from sonys UX90 UMPC witch has a 4.5inch screen with 1024x768 resultion

vaio44.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.