Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnscully

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Hi,

considering buying the new 16-inch MacBook Pro I‘m interested in the noise-level of the fans in idle mode. My current MacBook Pro (13 Inch, 2015) is practically dead silent in normal usage (browsing, text-editing, photo-app etc.), I literary have to put my ear on the keyboard to hear any fan noise - and I like it that way. How about the new MacBook Pro? Is it also that dead silent in idle mode?

Reactions: Cape Dave

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Hi,

considering buying the new 16-inch MacBook Pro I‘m interested in the noise-level of the fans in idle mode. My current MacBook Pro (13 Inch, 2015) is practically dead silent in normal usage (browsing, text-editing, photo-app etc.), I literary have to put my ear on the keyboard to hear any fan noise - and I like it that way. How about the new MacBook Pro? Is it also that dead silent in idle mode?
With the 15" machines I think I'm right in saying they always have the fans on at some level, but they usually aren't audible (this certainly seems to be the case with my 2015) - if anything the 16" with a bigger heatsink should be better, though I'm not sure if it's enough the fans can be completely off at idle like the 13".

johnscully

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
To be clear: The fans in my 13 inch model are always on, they just appear to be dead silent because they are so quiet you can only hear them when you put your ear directly on the keyboard. And now I‘m wondering if this is also the case with the new 16 inch model.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Judging from an early review I read (don't recall where), the new fans are as quiet as the old ones. On my 2016 15", fans aren't audible in normal browsing, text editing and such. They can certainly kick up some in photo apps depending on what I'm doing.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
To be clear: The fans in my 13 inch model are always on, they just appear to be dead silent because they are so quiet you can only hear them when you put your ear directly on the keyboard. And now I‘m wondering if this is also the case with the new 16 inch model.
I didn't think that was the case with the 13" machines, maybe it's only for the newer 2016- design... At any rate, if previous 2015 machines are anything to go by it's no different than what you're used to.

Reactions: jerryk

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018
I saw in one preview that maximum fan noise is about the same which the only difference being that the new model doesn’t produce such a high pitch noise. Since the CPUs are the same as last models but the fans and surface area are bigger we should also expect the 16” model to be idle more often.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I set up my 16 inch last evening and the only time I heard the fans was briefly during data transfer from my other MacBook when it got a little warm (not hot). I haven't heard them at all otherwise.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I set up my 16 inch last evening and the only time I heard the fans was briefly during data transfer from my other MacBook when it got a little warm (not hot). I haven't heard them at all otherwise.

Same here - I think it was the initial Dropbox synch which set them off, but they were nowhere near as noisy as they were on my 2018 13” MBP or the new MacBook Air.

Blingers

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2014
Just bought a specced up 16” today and the fan has been going crazy. Literally all I’m doing is downloading and installing a ton of software - but surely that shouldn’t cause too much cpu use and so I’m surprised the fan has kicked in at all. I’m a bit concerned but it’s early days so gonna do a reboot after it’s finished installing stuff ( In another 6-7 hours) then I’ll report back. Also battery is literally 100% to 75% in an hour prob due to these fans. Hoping it’s just initial setup or maybe I’ve got a dud. I’ll report back

-narcan-

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
I love my 16” but it’s LOUD. Fans spin up much more frequently that 15.4” and when they do they’re much louder

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I love my 16” but it’s LOUD. Fans spin up much more frequently that 15.4” and when they do they’re much louder

That is they get better performance from the same CPU. They spin up the fans and let those new heatsinks and fans cool it down, rather than having to cool by throttling the processor.

Reactions: Falhófnir

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Just bought a specced up 16” today and the fan has been going crazy. Literally all I’m doing is downloading and installing a ton of software - but surely that shouldn’t cause too much cpu use and so I’m surprised the fan has kicked in at all. I’m a bit concerned but it’s early days so gonna do a reboot after it’s finished installing stuff ( In another 6-7 hours) then I’ll report back. Also battery is literally 100% to 75% in an hour prob due to these fans. Hoping it’s just initial setup or maybe I’ve got a dud. I’ll report back

During the initial setup period the system does a lot of file indexing, especially if you are installing. Give it a day or so of running after you finish your installs. It should quiet down by then.

Blingers

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2014
During the initial setup period the system does a lot of file indexing, especially if you are installing. Give it a day or so of running after you finish your installs. It should quiet down by then.

happy to report that the fans have calmed down massively now, you were right. Battery life still a bit rubbish(4hours) but I’ll just hope that’s because of initial set up too. Overall really impressed with it.
Someone asked for specs: mbp 16” 2.4ghz, 32gb, 8gb 5500, 2TB

Reactions: jerryk

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
On idle it’s dead silent, no matter whether you are running an external display or not. It is also pretty much inaudible under moderate to heavy single-threaded workloads since the cooling capacity has improved and the system has little problem dissipating 20W without ramping up the fans too much.

Basically, if you can hear it then it’s not on idle.

r boyett

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
I'm using a 16" right now with the core i7, 32GB, 1TBSSD, 4GB 5500M. I've got it connected to a 34" 2K display running two Firefox windows with 6 tabs each.

The fan is BARELY audible.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I have a 16" i9, 32GB, 2TB, 8GB 5500M and the only time I hear the fan is when its under load. When I'm editing film they kick in but even then for me they aren't that loud, or at least they aren't louder than my 2015 which was pretty loud when I pushed it.

downtime

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2019
I'm having the same issue - Fans running constantly at full tilt, and battery draining fast. Have been running it with 2 external Asus monitors and am wondering if this is why. my 2012 ran with these same monitors plugged in without the fan on constantly. Will be doing some battery tests as well but have noticed that i have to keep it plugged in while running external monitors and even then it seems to be recharging very slowly. going to be testing the battery and will report back...seems like a machine meant to be a pro system should be able to run external monitors without maxing out and having the fan blasting full time...

Specs:
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
2 TB SSD

Blingers

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2014
I'm having the same issue - Fans running constantly at full tilt, and battery draining fast. Have been running it with 2 external Asus monitors and am wondering if this is why. my 2012 ran with these same monitors plugged in without the fan on constantly. Will be doing some battery tests as well but have noticed that i have to keep it plugged in while running external monitors and even then it seems to be recharging very slowly. going to be testing the battery and will report back...seems like a machine meant to be a pro system should be able to run external monitors without maxing out and having the fan blasting full time...

Specs:
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
2 TB SSD
Don’t worry mine is completely fine now, must’ve just been initial indexing or something but now fans only come on under heavy load and battery life is great

Reactions: downtime

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I have attached a photo of mine just browsing the web.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-05 at 08.44.42.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-05 at 08.44.42.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 605

KingfisherComputers

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2019
Hi,

considering buying the new 16-inch MacBook Pro I‘m interested in the noise level of the fans in idle mode. My current MacBook Pro (13 Inch, 2015) is practically dead silent in normal usage (browsing, text-editing, photo-app etc.), I literary have to put my ear on the keyboard to hear any fan noise - and I like it that way. How about the new MacBook Pro? Is it also that dead silent in idle mode?

pop the backoff, clean out the fans and heat sink!

but more importantly, carefully remove the heatsink from the processor, even more carefully remove the old thermal comp and apply new thermal compound.

Personally, on my MacBook and others, I have repaired with thermal issues, I use liquid metal!

once you've got everything back together. reset the SMC and PRAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.