Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cfred

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
Thank You everyone for sharing their experience. I just upgraded 2 week ago from a 2017 i7 MacBook Pro with 16gb, 1tb Hd to the new 16" 8core i9 with 64 ram and 2 tb ssd. Fan is driving me NUTS !! At first I though it was maybe restoring from old system. I have tried fresh install and only copy documents over, I have called Apple and spoke for 2 hours on the phone, and so far no solution.

My 2017 i7 machine was MUCH quieter doing exactly the same thing. If I simply turn on the machine go to YouTube and watch 1-3 videos using the laptop speakers, the fan goes from the regular 1800 idol speed to 4000-4300 rpm.

I am passed my 2 week return policy but I strongly believe the 16" with the i7 would be a quieter option. I am going to take it to the apple store and try to have them take a look. As we all said, NO way a PRO machine is suppose to react like this. At this rate I would be happier using my 2017 machine.

Hope there is a solution.

Axel Tasler

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2019
i9,1TB, 5500M here. On external Monitor and only Ableton Live open, with no plugins loaded the fans are very loud and spin constantly! Only 11% at activity monitor. I'm afraid I have to return it.

kmahmood

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
Thank You everyone for sharing their experience. I just upgraded 2 week ago from a 2017 i7 MacBook Pro with 16gb, 1tb Hd to the new 16" 8core i9 with 64 ram and 2 tb ssd. Fan is driving me NUTS !! At first I though it was maybe restoring from old system. I have tried fresh install and only copy documents over, I have called Apple and spoke for 2 hours on the phone, and so far no solution.

My 2017 i7 machine was MUCH quieter doing exactly the same thing. If I simply turn on the machine go to YouTube and watch 1-3 videos using the laptop speakers, the fan goes from the regular 1800 idol speed to 4000-4300 rpm.

I am passed my 2 week return policy but I strongly believe the 16" with the i7 would be a quieter option. I am going to take it to the apple store and try to have them take a look. As we all said, NO way a PRO machine is suppose to react like this. At this rate I would be happier using my 2017 machine.

Hope there is a solution.
This is my main concern and reason why I’ve not yet gone for the MacBook Pro 16” , as wanted to get a similar spec with i9, 64GB ram but I’m also worried about loud fan noise which would drive me nuts too , and agree you would expect better for a ‘Pro’ machine with performance workstation specs - please update on how you get on, and if the fan noise improves.

eyalben

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
Ugh. Same problem here.
Just received my new MacBook Pro 16" (2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 32GB Ram).

It doesn't take much for the fans to kick in comparing to my previous macbook (2017(
Fans kicks-in even on normal boot (though not too high).

Trying to use virtualbox also causes fans to kick in to maximum...

On the other hand, it took me two hours to get a complete system failure (blank screen and immediate halt),
just trying to install virtualbox.

Why do I keep buying those buggy machines?

x3sphere

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
So, is this less of an issue on the i7 version?

Maybe? Have the i7 and 5300M - mine is whisper quiet even with dozens of Chrome tabs open + a VM using Parallels. Not doing any heavy workload (fans will get somewhat loud if I do) but when doing normal tasks it's very quiet.

Seems a lot of people complaining about the noise have the i9, just from what I've seen.

I might be returning for the i9 model though, a bit tempted with the 6% cash back they are offering now. I'll compare if I get it...

Last edited:

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Maybe? Have the i7 and 5300M - mine is whisper quiet even with dozens of Chrome tabs open + a VM using Parallels. Not doing any heavy workload (fans will get somewhat loud if I do) but when doing normal tasks it's very quiet.

Seems a lot of people complaining about the noise have the i9, just from what I've seen.

I might be returning for the i9 model though, a bit tempted with the 6% cash back they are offering now. I'll compare if I get it...
I’m leaning towards the i7, with the upgraded 5500 maybe 4GB but might do the 8 GB and 32GB ram for my new daily driver.

Cfred

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
OK guys I have done some extensive testing. The I9 seems to be the one with issues of fans running none stop when connected to external monitors. The i7 MacBook Pro 16" doesn't run the fans and actually stays close to idle.

People with the I9's like myself all you need is to get the 'TURBO BOOST SWITCHER PRO" and you can turn off turbo boost and the fans will remain up to mid way which you still cannot hear it. I don't even feel any difference in the performance in what I do mostly anyway.

I can always turn back on the turbo boost whenever I need to do anything that would require it, its an easy toggle on the top bar.

So for those who want to use external monitors get the i7 or if you already purchased the i9 get that plugin software and you can solve that problem.

Have a nice day.

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
i9 (2.4) here and silent idle fans when I connect to 4k external monitor (both screens are up, no clamshell).
I've seen quite a few i9 owners confirming the same.

kmahmood

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
i9 (2.4) here and silent idle fans when I connect to 4k external monitor (both screens are up, no clamshell).
I've seen quite a few i9 owners confirming the same.
Does that mean the i9 2.4 is the quiet one? There’s so many mixed reviews about fan noise, some say it’s fine with i7, others with i9, just hoping and praying this fan thing is a software issue and gets patched soon - eager to buy the MacBook Pro 16 with top spec, but don’t want a laptop that sounds like a spaceship taking off when running a couple of VMs or hooking up to a 4K screen.

Reactions: tCC_

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
OK guys I have done some extensive testing. The I9 seems to be the one with issues of fans running none stop when connected to external monitors. The i7 MacBook Pro 16" doesn't run the fans and actually stays close to idle.

People with the I9's like myself all you need is to get the 'TURBO BOOST SWITCHER PRO" and you can turn off turbo boost and the fans will remain up to mid way which you still cannot hear it. I don't even feel any difference in the performance in what I do mostly anyway.

I can always turn back on the turbo boost whenever I need to do anything that would require it, its an easy toggle on the top bar.

So for those who want to use external monitors get the i7 or if you already purchased the i9 get that plugin software and you can solve that problem.

Have a nice day.

External monitors have always used the dGPU on 15" and 16" MacBook Pros. Nothing new.

And all 15 and 16" MBP since the first retinas have always run their fans at 1800 to 2000 RPM at idle regardless of external monitor connection.
[automerge]1576265708[/automerge]
Does that mean the i9 2.4 is the quiet one? There’s so many mixed reviews about fan noise, some say it’s fine with i7, others with i9, just hoping and praying this fan thing is a software issue and gets patched soon - eager to but the MacBook Pro 16 with top spec, but don’t want a laptop that sounds like a spaceship taking off when running a couple of VMs.

My 2015 and 2018 15" MBP really spun the fans if doing work under parallels like and install, Visual Studio, or IntelliJ. I suspect my 16" will do the same

kiliancgn

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
Worked the first full day with my new MacBook Pro 16" 2019 (32 GB, 1TB, i9 2,3 GHz, 8-core).

Just doing normal development work (Visual Code and 10-12 browser tabs open). The Macbook Pro is connected to an external 4k monitor.

Fans are almost always on (approx. at 3100 rpm) and quite often on an even higher level. Don't like this so far. The activity monitor does not show any apps which consume much energy. Don't understand why fans are constantly running.

Used to work with a MacBook Pro Late 2013 where the fans were most of the time dead silent.

Firefox seems to be worse in terms of "Energy consumption" than Chrome.

Am I the only one? Will give it another day but if this does not change I will return it.

Great machine though in terms of performance. Would love to keep it. Any ideas?

---

Update: When used without the monitor and just doing some browsing the fans are ok around 1800 rpm.

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Worked the first full day with my new MacBook Pro 16" 2019 (32 GB, 1TB, 2,3 GHz, 8-core).

Just doing normal development work (Visual Code and 10-12 browser tabs open). Fans are almost always on and quite often on a high level. Don't like this so far. The activity monitor does not show any apps which consume much energy. Don't understand why fans are constantly running.

Used to work with a MacBook Pro Late 2013 where the fans were most of the time dead silent.

Firefox seems to be worse in terms of "Energy consumption" than Chrome.

Am I the only one? Will give it another day but if this does not change I will return it.

Great machine though in terms of performance. Would love to keep it. Any ideas?

First days of any new mac is spent doing a lot of indexing for Spotlight and other apps. Give it a day or so. Also, leave the lid open when your done so the indexing can run when you are away.

Reactions: tCC_ and kiliancgn

Alex Kurylev

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
I have MBP 16" i7, 32Gb, 512Gb, 5500M 4Gb, the monitor is connected via the USB Type-C 2560x1440 60Hz. At minimum load (surfing in the browser) fan speed 3000-4000rpm! My old MBP 13" 2017 (two cores) was almost always quiet. I'm very frustrated, fan turnovers are rising even with normal youtube video viewing. I called support a few times, they can't help.

Share your problems on the official website https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250878229 we need to get apple to start dealing with this problem as soon as possible!

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
I must be lucky.

My machine (i9 2.4, 32RAM, 2T SSD, 5500M with 8GB) is super quiet and running cool (~30-35C) without heavy load.
Fans always idle with light browsing - tested even on chrome which I don't use normally.
With 4k videos on YouTube I have fans around 2.2-2.4k rpm but still relatively quiet

With external 4k monitor connected and simple web browsing temp is ~10-15C higher than without external but fans stays idle.

Final Cut Pro - I can hear funs of course but still they are not at max even during export which is a pleasant surprise.

Games - well - fans are nearly constant at max :) but that's expected.

Reactions: ascender

Alex Kurylev

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
I must be lucky.

My machine (i9 2.4, 32RAM, 2T SSD, 5500M with 8GB) is super quiet and running cool (~30-35C) without heavy load.
Fans always idle with light browsing - tested even on chrome which I don't use normally.
With 4k videos on YouTube I have fans around 2.2-2.4k rpm but still relatively quiet

With external 4k monitor connected and simple web browsing temp is ~10-15C higher than without external but fans stays idle.

Final Cut Pro - I can hear funs of course but still they are not at max even during export which is a pleasant surprise.

Games - well - fans are nearly constant at max :) but that's expected.

When did you buy it?

imajez

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2014
Lots of really excessive fan noise here, sometimes when simply plugging an ext. HD in and not using it.
Computer is currently runs hot at 64C here when simply browsing web and using dual external monitors and laptop closed. Fans are not running much at moment though. Check out second screengrab further down for contrast with lower temps and berserk fans.
MBP 16" 2.4Ghz 8 Core i9
64GB
Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB

1577193016880.png

55° _Charged © HOG.png

LeMatrix

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2019
Hi....
same Problem here with Temperature and Fan Noise

even wit TurboBoost turned off

look at the screenshots where the Mac is nearly doing nothing !!!

tomorrow I will go to my Apple Shop and I want a new one. There is one user on a different Forum for Audio People who runs the same Mac with no Problems and his Temperatures are way much lower when the CPU is working Then mine.

I have the 16", i9 2,4 , 64 GB Memory and 8TB HD

Attachments

• MAC IDLE.png
    MAC IDLE.png
    312.8 KB · Views: 345
  • MAC very Loud.png
    MAC very Loud.png
    1 MB · Views: 297
Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Lots of really excessive fan noise here, sometimes when simply plugging an ext. HD in and not using it.

According to the first screenshot the dGPU is active and draws significant power, plus, there seems to be some compute work going on in the CPU. The total laptop power draw approaches 50W which is far from idle. No idea what your machine is doing, but it is doing something.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
First off, thanks for the tip about iStat Menus. I just installed it.

So, I got my MBP 16 a couple of days ago (2.3 i9 8-core / 32GB / 1TB / 5500M w8GB). I was worried about posts I was reading here about fan noise and heat. But so far, I have no complaints there. I haven't done anything super-intensive, and I haven't yet connected it to my Dell U2518D monitor (25" 3840x2160).

I've been using it on my lap in my living room the past couple of days, and it's been very quiet and only started to feel warm when I was using it unplugged for a while and then plugged it in, while using it, to charge the battery. I read here from someone that there was no need to deplete/recharge the battery for maximum life, and that you could (and should) just keep it plugged in when you had the chance, so I've been doing that and the laptop is quiet, and not even warm, and the "System Report" indicates that it isn't charging (while my battery meter continues to show 100%).

I'm not sure what magic they're using, but it does seem like keeping it plugged in (whenever I'm able) may be the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.