Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Collywobbles

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
it's just happened again. secondary screens 'click' off, fans kick in on the Mac and the keyboard and trackpad disconnects. I think it's close to keeling over. utterly crap. no VM Ware running, using VS for Mac, simply typing into the editor not even running a compile. I do note "istat" has gone unresponsive. wonder if that needs a patch.
[automerge]1575487024[/automerge]
nope, it's like a pack of cards... going down.....

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
it's just happened again. secondary screens 'click' off, fans kick in on the Mac and the keyboard and trackpad disconnects. I think it's close to keeling over. utterly crap. no VM Ware running, using VS for Mac, simply typing into the editor not even running a compile. I do note "istat" has gone unresponsive. wonder if that needs a patch.
[automerge]1575487024[/automerge]
nope, it's like a pack of cards... going down.....

Do you have some old app that didn't get patched? I started having issues with Kernel Panic with some old apps and a dongle...

Collywobbles

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
the only thing I noticed was after the screens (both of them) clicked off, iStat Menus became unresponsive. now which came first? I'm not sure. but how iStat would induce a screen shutdown I'm not sure. it's like they went to sleep, but I was using them. so, no I don't think I have any 'old' gear running, I'm patched to date and most of what I have now comes off the Mac App Store => with the exception of VM Ware. but I wasn't actively using that and it is patched to date.

could it be a video card switching issue? it might be switching to the internal card and that won't support the screens. sounds like an up and coming firmware fix to me...
[automerge]1575488391[/automerge]
words from apple? deny deny deny... ;)

Reactions: g75d3

Collywobbles

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
just for clarity the Mac is: 2.3/32/2TB/5500-8gb
the external screens are 38" acer (3840x1600), dell 25" (2440x1440, I think) in a razor core with a radeon rx560. this configuration worked well with the predecessor, also a MacBook Pro (mid 2018 edition); it stopped that one from constantly overheating.

Last edited:

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
Running 16 Macbook Pro for two weeks, only problem so far has been trouble waking after disconnecting an external display while asleep.

andreasts88

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2018
Hi everyone!
I bought a MacBook Pro 16 inch and after restarting in order to install latest update the screen became white for some seconds and then continue normally.

Later I decide to reinstall os Catalina and when restarting the same thing was happened. White screen for some seconds and then finished install normally.

Also ,the screen flash white every time that go into recovery mode.

Is this normal or an issue?

does everyone has notice that ?

Matthew93

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
I am wondering if others are having issues with their 16 " MacBook Pro. My touch Bar goes unresponsive and will not register anything and a few times my computer has froze. I also have a 2016 MacBook Pro and didn't experience these issues. I wonder if its because of Catalina 10.15.1. I also have the annoying popping and crackling speaker issue that comes and goes. I have a base model i7 with nothing upgraded and it also runs very hot. The Touch Bar and keyboard get very warm at times and wondering if I have a dud of a unit or if other spec models are better in this regard.
Hey, I have 16inch for 2 weeks now and the touchbar has frozen 2-3 times now. All i had to do was open activity monitor search touchbar and click the cross to quit. It worked straight away after this.

MKim

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
@drumstr: On my 2019 16" MBP, I tried deactivating "TouchBarServer" in Activity Monitor, but it didn't help. Apple Customer Support says I need to do a complete Internet reinstall of the OS. Touchbar still doesn't respond to touch.

Anyone else have success in figuring out a solution to this problem?

Reactions: blobidk

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
3 units so far.

1) Coil noise was extra, extra loud but nice screen. - Returned

2) Screen WAY dimmer and yellow compared to units 1 & 3 - Returned

3) Wipe and clean install, just downloading apps from the App Store and complete lockup and frozen keyboard and trackpad (trackpad not just frozen in cursor movement but haptic feedback stopped). Upon forced restart error was BAD MAGIC! (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available. It happened again a few minutes later. Booted into safe mode and trackpad froze. - Returned.

1&2 had October build dates, 3 September. All purchased locally in store 2.3/16/1tb config.

Collywobbles

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
@drumstr: On my 2019 16" MBP, I tried deactivating "TouchBarServer" in Activity Monitor, but it didn't help. Apple Customer Support says I need to do a complete Internet reinstall of the OS. Touchbar still doesn't respond to touch.

Anyone else have success in figuring out a solution to this problem?

I'd go with a fresh install, a fresh account and put your gear (documents, music, pictures, etc.) back manually. If it still play's up, then its either, hardware (unlikely but not impossible), firmware (unlikely again, but you never really know because they won't ever tell you), software incompatibility (most probable, put apps back slowly to see which, if any, affect it's use). What a PINTA, I know... But that's what they'll want you to do, so you may as well get on with it. :)

MKim

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
I'd go with a fresh install, a fresh account and put your gear (documents, music, pictures, etc.) back manually. If it still play's up, then its either, hardware (unlikely but not impossible), firmware (unlikely again, but you never really know because they won't ever tell you), software incompatibility (most probable, put apps back slowly to see which, if any, affect it's use). What a PINTA, I know... But that's what they'll want you to do, so you may as well get on with it. :)

UPDATE: Well, the full Internet recovery/reinstall of the OS didn't work. Grrrrr. >:-(

Collywobbles

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
UPDATE: Well, the full Internet recovery/reinstall of the OS didn't work. Grrrrr. >:-(

sorry for the confusion but, in what way didn't it work? in order to gain the best help you need to be clear about the problem. did you wipe the disk first before you commenced the install? a straight reinstall is non destructive, so it's unlikely to fix anything if it's account / 3rd party software related.

blobidk

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
Texas
MBP 16 2.4/32/2TB/5500-8GB
Touchbar has worked maybe once or twice in the week that I've had it. Only time it works is after a restart and only for a few minutes after. Killing TouchBarServer in Activity Monitor or through command line does nothing. I have to restart everytime i want to adjust volume or brightness otherwise i have to go into system preferences.
Running latest patches and have been running on a clean install.

I am coming from a late 2016 15" MBP 2.9/16/2TB/460-4GB which has had its fair share of issues on its own. The touchbar was never a big issue on the old one though. Just the occasional touchbar freeze, typical screen bleeding, unreliable keyboard, constant over heating and constant restarts "because of a problem." Oh yeah and beacuse I bought it before AppleCare+ even existed and only had the standard AppleCare, the laptop was not eligible for a keyboard replacement after 7 differnet keys were missfiring. Typing passwords was lots of fun. It wasnt until a year later and the 3rd apple store i went to when an employee accidentally broke off one of the keys while trying to clean the keyboard did they finally replace the keyboard for free. Even after the keyboard replacement, the machine is still almost useless because of its inadequate cooling and constant thermal-throttling.

So yeah.... Overall EXTREMELY pleased with the over $10,000 ive spent on these terrible terrible machines. Cant wait to deal with more headaches with the new one!

Last edited:

ville.k

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2020
Mine (2.3/16/1TB/5500-4GB) came with uneven trackpad (raised in lower left corner) and getting constant tiny electric shocks from the trackpad when using it. Feels like there are dust particles or tiny crumbles on the trackpad, but it's completely clean. When you really concentrate on feeling it you can feel that its like tiny electricity/static when touching the trackpad. Never experienced this on my 15 inch.

• Wow
Reactions: faust

jamesgryffindor99

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2019
United States
My touchbar randomly freezes on my 2019 15" MBP, it's a software issue.
I open up a terminal and restart the TouchBar service by doing
sudo killall TouchBarServer. Happens less on 10.15.2 though, but still occasional.

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
The Touch Bar on my 16" will freeze intermittently in some apps..has happened 3 times in the past 2 weeks. I assume this is just a software related issue.

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The only real "issue" I've had with my 2019 16" MBP is the display distorting a bit during shutdown. Not sure if that's a harbinger of a future need to have my MBP serviced or not. I tend not to go scorched Earth with slight issues like that because yes, it could represent a future problem that'll require addressing, or it could be nothing. It's very likely the latter.

Anyways, I sorta wish I could've gotten a 16" MBP without a touch bar. I'm not going to use Safari for regular web browsing, and Firefox lacks some of the features included when using the Touch Bar with Safari. I genuinely feel like I have no need for the Touch Bar.

Now, to address some of the issues y'all are having!!

I think the point is to control pricing... That's noting new, as Apple has always favored themselves more then partners. I would even go so far and call it "deliberately done on purpose" so Apple can get you in their store.

It also explains why they close down these partner stores too.. They don't wanna make the price too variant and allow partners to give a hge saving because Apple stores will loose business themselves, everyone would flock to BB or others. and i don' t think that's the main goal.

Blegh, I refuse to pay Apple's price for their products. I got my 2019 16" MBP from Best Buy for $1999 after some trickery from me with the price matching. Yes, I am a very foul and terrible person.

Mine (2.3/16/1TB/5500-4GB) came with uneven trackpad (raised in lower left corner) and getting constant tiny electric shocks from the trackpad when using it. Feels like there are dust particles or tiny crumbles on the trackpad, but it's completely clean. When you really concentrate on feeling it you can feel that its like tiny electricity/static when touching the trackpad. Never experienced this on my 15 inch.

Listen, you need to return that MBP. If your return period is over? Get it serviced. Suffering electric shocks during usage of your computer is indicative of a major problem with it. Please return it or have it serviced immediately. It is not safe to use.

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Would someone be able to do me a favour and test the write speed of their RAM ? Ive noticed opening apps is slow and even chrome bounces 2 or three times. Has never happened to me since macs with NVME ssds.

Can use a 10GB Ramdisk then write a large file to it.
diskutil partitionDisk $(hdiutil attach -nomount ram://21845333) 1 GPTFormat APFS 'ramdisk' '100%'

Im only seeing 1600 write, 5600 read and thinking this is not normal. 64GB BTO.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
The only real "issue" I've had with my 2019 16" MBP is the display distorting a bit during shutdown. Not sure if that's a harbinger of a future need to have my MBP serviced or not. I tend not to go scorched Earth with slight issues like that because yes, it could represent a future problem that'll require addressing, or it could be nothing. It's very likely the latter.

Anyways, I sorta wish I could've gotten a 16" MBP without a touch bar. I'm not going to use Safari for regular web browsing, and Firefox lacks some of the features included when using the Touch Bar with Safari. I genuinely feel like I have no need for the Touch Bar.

Now, to address some of the issues y'all are having!!

Blegh, I refuse to pay Apple's price for their products. I got my 2019 16" MBP from Best Buy for $1999 after some trickery from me with the price matching. Yes, I am a very foul and terrible person.

Listen, you need to return that MBP. If your return period is over? Get it serviced. Suffering electric shocks during usage of your computer is indicative of a major problem with it. Please return it or have it serviced immediately. It is not safe to use.
When booting into recovery mode the Apple logo will glitch out and multiply before booting into recovery mode normally. I assumed this is an issue with Catalina

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
This is a reminder to everyone who bought the 16” and has issues, you are still within the holiday return period, make sure you take advantage of it!

Reactions: ckeck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.