Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nico887

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Paris, France
Hi,

Just bought a brand MacBook Pro 16 yesterday. After updating the supplemental update (Build 19B2106), I noticed that the Refresh rate drop down menu was not displaying in the display menu of the command center.

Have any of you encountered the same problem ? Is there a fix ?

Thanks a lot !

nico887

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Paris, France
Capture d’écran 2019-12-08 à 14.00.52.png

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah I've seen this. I find it will reappear if you change the screen resolution for a moment.

nico887

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Paris, France
Hi Andy-V, thanks a lot. Changing the resolution has indeed unlocked the refresh rate drop down menu. Additionally, it has solved the Catalina wallpaper not changing during the day.

Unfortunately, shutting down and restarting the MacBook Pro make the list disappear again... and the Catalina wallpaper not being updated ...

Is it a generalized issue ? Or just you and me ? Do you think I need to change to back back the the Apple Store for a replacement ?

Thanks,
Nicolas
[automerge]1575816281[/automerge]
Additionally, I have strange frequencies figures. Is that normal ?

Capture d’écran 2019-12-08 à 15.43.41.png

Last edited:

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
Hi Andy-V, thanks a lot. Changing the resolution has indeed unlocked the refresh rate drop down menu. Additionally, it has solved the Catalina wallpaper not changing during the day.

Unfortunately, shutting down and restarting the MacBook Pro make the list disappear again... and the Catalina wallpaper not being updated ...

Is it a generalized issue ? Or just you and me ? Do you think I need to change to back back the the Apple Store for a replacement ?

Thanks,
Nicolas
[automerge]1575816281[/automerge]
Additionally, I have strange frequencies figures. Is that normal ?

View attachment 881493
Those are not strange - they are the actual frequencies the panel is capable of running at.

nico887

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Paris, France
Thank you sat24.

Additionally, do you have the same problem as I have ? eg. the the refresh menu drop down is not always displayed ?

Thanks a lot !

Reactions: sat24

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
Thank you sat24.

Additionally, do you have the same problem as I have ? eg. the the refresh menu drop down is not always displayed ?

Thanks a lot !
Yes, I have the same problem.

But I think I see the design idea that Apple has on this. They only want to show the refresh rate dropdown IF the user is not on the default resolution OR the user is not on the default refresh rate (60Hz). So far, it seems to work like that, but maybe have small bugs.

But it is confusing nevertheless - the design principle on macOS has been that you click the OPTIONS button when u want expert mode enabled (e.g. Display->Colors, Wifi icon, etc), and I think they should've just followed that here.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
They only want to show the refresh rate dropdown IF the user is not on the default resolution OR the user is not on the default refresh rate (60Hz). So far, it seems to work like that, but maybe have small bugs.

That's not true, I'm on the default refresh rate and I can see the dropdown.

How else would you ever be able to switch from the default?

nico887

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Paris, France
Nacho98 - Thank you for your message.

I agree that there is a bug for some users, I don't know why.

There is an impact on the dynamic wallpaper as is is not changing during the day, except if I change the resolution, at which point the wallpaper get the right display according to the actual time.

Sat24, do you have the same problem with your dynamic wallpaper that stays still ?

For reference : display manufacturer = 00000610, model = 0000A044

Do you have different one ?

Paul Anderegg

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2019
My i7 and i9 16" MBPs shipped with refresh rate as selectable. After updating to Catalina 10.15.4, the option is no longer available. Updated to 10.15.5, still not available. I tried the changing resolution/scaling, but still, does not show. I miss this, and used it to watch 24p internet content without jubder. Is there a fix for this? :(

Paul

jaduffy007

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Even with option, I can not get the refresh rate dropdown to appear. Allow extended dynamic range appears
[automerge]1591411668[/automerge]
Even with option, I can not get the refresh rate dropdown to appear. Allow extended dynamic range appears
Got it to work..***** Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.