Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
I know there are so many threads about color comparisons etc. but here is me again with an upcoming buyers remorse. I've ordered a Silver 16 mbp 2 days ago. It's still "processing" so i guess i can still change my order. I can't return it back after it arrived cause i'm going to move to another country very soon.
Anyways, the reason i get the Silver is that i already have the magic keyboard and mouse in Silver. My mStand is also Silver :/ Hell my xs is also Silver.
But I just watched a youtube review video and the space grey looked great on a wooden desk and my buyers rermose started kicking in.
I know i'm a bit weird but the only reason that i've ordered Silver is not to get any buyers remorse when it's arrived.
Any ideas? Are you happy with your Silver 16?

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Since it'll go nicely with the rest of your gear I think you'll be happy. I have the Space Grey and I'm happy wit that color but I don't have any accessories that I use regularly.

Reactions: iemcj

hover

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2007
Youtube videos are a poor way to judge about the colours. Maybe better go to a store in person and compare, seeing with you own eyes.

Obviously, colour preferences are personal and subjective. I like how Space Grey looks a tiny bit more, but selected Silver the last two times, because it is more practical: a scratch or a dent in the Silver is much less noticeable. With Space Gray, the bright metal will shine through the opening in the damaged area, making you mad if you are particularly sensitive to the appearance of your laptop.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
I have a Space Grey 2017 15" and love it. I definitely would not ever replace it with silver. Each to their own though of course.

Reactions: bevsb2

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
I think the space grey looks cool, but it does tend to show wear more than the silver does. Any scratches, scuffs (especially around the USB openings) or palm wrest wear will show the silver coming through.

I also prefer the silver due to the tiny drilled out speaker holes. On the space grey MacBooks, you can see the drill patterns in the little holes as they are the silver color of the raw aluminum. It's unsightly to my eyes, but I am sure most people won't notice it. I see it right away in person and in reviews. On the silver MacBooks, the color of the inside of these drilled tiny holes is just about the same color as the silver chassis, so it blends in better.

So, I prefer my iOS Devices to be space grey, and my Macs to be silver.

Reactions: Emathieu

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
Silver holds up a lot better from scratches.

It's purely anecdotal as I've never seen a scientific test but I've seen many of the darker ones that have visible scratches and scuffs all over, very viable from a distance. I see silver macbook pros more often yet can't recal seeing a single one with noticeable scratch marks unless I was really close to it.

Again I'm not saying this is a scientific comparison but I encounter a lot of them in my daily work and while part of me thinks the "space grey" would be cool, I also know this is a laptop and it's meant to be portable and thus will get scratched up quite a bit. Better to get the one where it's not visible, you made the right call.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
silver is so elegant

75239b70-3777-464c-8c2f-27280e368aa9-jpeg.880304

Reactions: Marinier and Sowelu

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I have a silver version right now (pre 16") and placed an order for a silver 16". I visited several stores and compared the space grey to the silver. I seriously considered going space grey and it looks great from a distance, but up close, in my opinion it just looks like dirty extremely dark silver.

That's a personal opinion of course. Space grey just isn't for me. My MacBooks have always been silver, I have silver and gold iPads, silver iPhone, stainless gold watch. On my opinion silver is the way to go. But if anyone likes space grey, just go for it.

Mattstrete

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
I owned two space grey 15-inch MBPs (2016 and 2017 models) and both became discoloured - specifically, around the palm rest areas. I've seen a few other posts in connection with the same complaint. So, I ordered my 2019 16" MBP in silver (like the four others which preceded the space black MBPs, none of which ever had any problems with tarnishing or discolouration) and am very happy with it.

dustSafa

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2021
I know there are so many threads about color comparisons etc. but here is me again with an upcoming buyers remorse. I've ordered a Silver 16 mbp 2 days ago. It's still "processing" so i guess i can still change my order. I can't return it back after it arrived cause i'm going to move to another country very soon.
Anyways, the reason i get the Silver is that i already have the magic keyboard and mouse in Silver. My mStand is also Silver :/ Hell my xs is also Silver.
But I just watched a youtube review video and the space grey looked great on a wooden desk and my buyers rermose started kicking in.
I know i'm a bit weird but the only reason that i've ordered Silver is not to get any buyers remorse when it's arrived.
Any ideas? Are you happy with your Silver 16?
Reis Türksün sen dimi :)

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I bought my 16" MacBook Pro in space gray when it came out in November 2019. The areas of the top case where I rest my hands has started to fade. It's hard to photograph but it's more noticeable in person. So... I'm thinking my next MacBook will be silver.

IMG_2529.jpeg

deanforwin

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2021
That looks like a Silver. ^

Smudges, fingerprints, dirt, visible dents = Space Grey

Clean, classic design = Silver. I had a space grey m1 which I returned for a base Silver. I am not sure why but the key travel is even deeper on this. Typing on it is a blast.

When I first started noticing people with the SG model at the coffee shops, I thought it looks dull, like a downgraded Silver. It's a slick looking laptop but vastly overrated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.