Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jafico1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
Hi all,

At the title of this post somewhat suggests, I’ve already had three repairs on my 2018 MBP 15”: the first time was because the screen developed a blue tint, the second time was because they messed up the first repair and left me with a faulty motherboard, and the third time is a keyboard replacement because of the butterfly keyboard issues. Recently, I’ve had another issue, where the sound through the headphone jack is crackly, such as when the volume change noise is playing during me playing music, which doesnt happen when I use the same headphones through Bluetooth. Apple have suggested that I take my laptop for another repair, which I am disappointed with, as I use my laptop on a daily basis, and considering the price I paid for it, I expect it to have less issues than it already has.

I did escalate to a senior advisor, who essentially gave me a $100 Apple Store coupon as a goodwill gesture, but apparently there was nothing more he could do. How do you think I should take it further: suck it up and get the repair done, or see if there are any other resolutions?

Thanks for your help!

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Apple has a program that allows them to replace lemon computers called CRU. After three major replacements, a machine typically becomes eligible. However, they rarely just offer it... it's in their best interest to keep you repairing it. Are you under AppleCare? If you are, it shouldn't be too difficult. If you aren't, they probably won't offer it at all.

What you need to do is be VERY nice, but let them know how disappointed you are. Point out how many machines you've had in the past and how well they've worked. Tell them that you've lost confidence in the computer's ability to get your work done and ask what they can do to rectify the problem. If you get a good person they will probably look at your case and offer to replace the machine with a current one that has identical specs (so you'd get a new 16"). If they don't, point out how many repairs you've had and politely ask if there's a way for them to replace the machine. You may get lucky.

jafico1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
Apple has a program that allows them to replace lemon computers called CRU. After three major replacements, a machine typically becomes eligible. However, they rarely just offer it... it's in their best interest to keep you repairing it. Are you under AppleCare? If you are, it shouldn't be too difficult. If you aren't, they probably won't offer it at all.

What you need to do is be VERY nice, but let them know how disappointed you are. Point out how many machines you've had in the past and how well they've worked. Tell them that you've lost confidence in the computer's ability to get your work done and ask what they can do to rectify the problem. If you get a good person they will probably look at your case and offer to replace the machine with a current one that has identical specs (so you'd get a new 16"). If they don't, point out how many repairs you've had and politely ask if there's a way for them to replace the machine. You may get lucky.

Do I give Apple a call back and ask for another senior advisor - the one I dealt with wasn’t great to be honest? I did also remember speaking to the Genius when I brought my MBP for keyboard repair, and he said that I’d have a chance at a replacement if it failed again, which it sounds like it has. I don’t want to come across as overly nit picky, but I’m not happy that a $2.7k laptop still isn’t perfect after 3 repairs. As a student coming up to finals week, it’s also really inconvenient. I do have AC+ so hopefully it should give me more leverage!

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If you have AC+ this should be an open and shut case. They should replace the machine for you. Call back, get another senior advisor and see if they are in agreement.

jafico1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
I called on Saturday and got some really good news: I’m probably going to be getting a 16” MacBook Pro (the $2799 model) as a replacement. I’ve got to wait for Apple to approve the replacement first, however. Does anyone know how long this usually takes?

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
I called on Saturday and got some really good news: I’m probably going to be getting a 16” MacBook Pro (the $2799 model) as a replacement. I’ve got to wait for Apple to approve the replacement first, however. Does anyone know how long this usually takes?
Nice! Hope you get that 16" MBP, four repairs on a recent unit is ridiculous. Anyways, that's the kind of thing that makes Apply customer service hard to best or even match.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
As an owner of a 2018 model with zero repairs, I'd say yes.

Glad they're going to get you sorted with a new machine. Keep us posted!

jafico1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
Still haven’t heard anything ?. I might try and email the Senior Advisor to chase them up tomorrow morning.

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Just wait. It’s their time. They will response you.

Be nice and let them work it out.

I have an iMac that was swapped by consecutive hardware failures. It took almost a week. Seams they have to argue with higher levels. I don’t know for sure.

jafico1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
UPDATE: I provided my credit card details to the Senior advisor on Thursday, so hopefully it will be here soon! Anyone know how long it usually takes - they said that apparently they couldn’t process it without having a CC on file (probably so I dont decide to keep both machines ?).

Reactions: CE3

SeanLe

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2017
Australia
I would say it depends on availability? I recently got refund from for my 2.5yr old 15” 2016 mbp (refurbished) too. It only had one replacement keyboard and the second time they didn’t want to repair (apparently we only get repairs here in Australia), but just wanted to clean it.

To cut the story short I basically said that this machine was faulty by design (keyboard failures) and they have this warranty in place but it’s not for a fix, just a temporary solution (which it is as the geniuses told me on the first time of replacing it will not fix it either).

The genius was very nice, he edged me on so that I can ask for a refund because it was faulty by design. Cut to the end I spoke to the manager and then got the CRU process started. I ordered the new 16” now just waiting for the final days of my refund to go back into my account.

They really looked after me and this is why I don’t mind paying premium sometimes.

Just to add I didn’t have AC.

Last edited:

jafico1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
Don’t want to sound too optimistic but hopefully I have my new machine by the end of next week, but it would be okay as long as it arrives before Christmas! Support is great but there’s probably a ton of bureaucracy. As long as I have a decent machine, I’ll be happy!

jafico1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
Depends on where you are. Took two months when I live in Shanghai.
Should be quicker for me hopefully as I’m currently in the US (which is where Apple is based) ? Two months is a really long time though, so that sucks

jafico1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
Well, I received the following email from Apple just now - pretty exciting! ? How long does it usually take after this?

Hi jafico1,

Thanks for contacting us. We created a product replacement for your 15-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray (serial number ****************).

We’ll track this replacement and update you via email as needed. This is the configuration for your replacement product:

16-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray
2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz
16GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory
1TB SSD storage
16-inch Retina display with True Tone
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
Touch Bar and Touch ID
Backlit Keyboard - US English
Hardware

Because you have elected to have the replacement product sent to you prior to returning the original device, Apple will place an Authorization Hold for the sum of $2,799.00 (plus applicable taxes) against your account. Apple considers this sum to be the fair market value of the Replacement Product.

jafico1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
UPDATE: I'm typing this on my new MacBook Pro 16", and so far it's a huge improvement over the 15", especially with the keyboard, which is 10 times better then the horrible butterfly keyboard! Hopefully this one will "break the curse" as the guy in the Apple Store said to me when I picked it up ?.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.