Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osx96

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Just received my fully loaded 64GB/8T 16 inch MBP Love it so far!!

Looking for suggestions for a high end carrying sleeve and carrying bag? Something for work and not a backpack?

Thanks!!

Hi,
congratulations!
can you perform some benchmarks (ex. geekbench, etc...) and post the results?

Thanks in advance :)

theeoin

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Any UK folks ordered from Tom Bihn? Just wondering what the customs et al might be like.

I have a SYNAPSE 25 but I ordered it while I was on holiday in the US.

nudoru

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2012
Near Charlotte NC
I'm using the iBlason hard shell and it's great. I've been using them for the past few years on a number of different MacBook's. Quality is great, no cracking or breaking and the grippy rubberized coating hasn't worn off. This new one is a few bucks higher than their past offerings but it's worth it for me. It's also a more tight fitting than the older ones so it was harder to put on. They'll rushed it out I think and will probably tweak it over time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0814J72PB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: cerberusss

hardax

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
New Hampshire
From video comparison and looking up the dimensions, the 16" actually has a very similar footprint to the old 2012-2015 Retina MacBook Pro.

16-inch MacBook Pro:
Height: 0.64 inch (1.62 cm)
Width: 14.09 inches (35.79 cm)
Depth: 9.68 inches (24.59 cm)

15-inch Retina MacBook Pro:
Height: 0.71 inch (1.8 cm)
Width: 14.13 inches (35.89 cm)
Depth: 9.73 inches (24.71 cm)

I'd wager that other than the hard cases of course; sleeves and bags that fit the old Pre-2016 15" Retina MacBook Pros should work quite well.

Funnily enough, it also makes me realize how freak'in massive the old 17-inch MacBook Pro was.
I can confirm with at least 3 sleeves/bags that I have for my 2014 15" that the 16" fits just fine. I would say unless its hard sided, anything meant for a pre 2016 MacBook is going to work.

davys

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Lanark
Any UK folks ordered from Tom Bihn? Just wondering what the customs et al might be like.

I have a SYNAPSE 25 but I ordered it while I was on holiday in the US.
Its been two years or so since I had a Tom Bihn delivery, but when picking up the parcel from UPS depot I was routinely charged an extra c. £40 in custom duties. Depends on your total value of goods in the box of course, my orders were usually between £160 to £220.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
They should be incredibly close. My Incase MacBook Pro neoprene sleeve fits the 16” snuggly and no play. I got it for the 2016 Touchbar model and it always had a little play so it was a pleasant surprise to have this option.

theeoin

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Its been two years or so since I had a Tom Bihn delivery, but when picking up the parcel from UPS depot I was routinely charged an extra c. £40 in custom duties. Depends on your total value of goods in the box of course, my orders were usually between £160 to £220.

I ordered the laptop cover, so I'm hoping it's to £10.

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Hoping Incase releases their hard shell cases soon for the 16". Seems odd that they haven't released them already.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Another vote for the Waterfield Staad. Best back I have ever owned. Room for the 16" MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, headphones and dongle paradise.

Thinking about getting a dbrand skin to protect from scratches. Anyone have any history with those?

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
How protective are Waterfield bags? I'm interested in the "New! Executive Leather Laptop Briefcase" but it doesn't look like theres a lot of padding for the laptop and tablet. Is this true?

Could anyone recommend other alternatives that are similar in design and looks but offer more protection? (I am currently using the Brenthaven Prostyle Shoulder Case, which has quite a lot of foam protection but I would like a bag that has a dedicated iPad spot as well).

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Please post your favorite MacBook Pro 16":
  • Bags
  • Sleeves
  • Cases
Using an incase icon backpack - I love it, my new solution for a mobile office. Comfy, compact, discreet, pockets for everything inc iPad Pro and mbp16. It’s perhaps less stylish than bags I’ve used previously- Filson, Mulberry etc- but it’s not exactly ugly, and by god it’s practical.

evoixdan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Just bought the newest Thule 15” attaché case for the MBP 16”. The Thule Gauntlet 4.0 is the one I wanted because it’s just a sleeve and no internal pockets, pen holder, etc but alas the new 16” MBP does NOT fit the gauntlet 4.0 for the 15” MBP in case anyone was wondering.

Reactions: cerberusss

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I've ordered an Incase Compact Sleeve for my 16" as I'm traveling and need to have something to put it in. Apple are saying it will fit the 15" or 16" and I do like their stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.