Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 220 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 228 50.9%

• Total voters

pirey4

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2019
Apple fixed my 15" MBP with flexgate issue for free under their quality program. On a side note, I am also on my 3rd keyboard.
The problem I'm having is that my screen has become distorted with blue and pink lines going through it. I've seen some similar posts in this thread but I'm not sure if this is the same issue as the Flexgate problem which seems to center around the backlighting. I don't have issues with backlighting just the distorted screen with blue and pink lines as shown in the photo. If I plug my laptop into an external display, there is no distortion and the screen performs as normal.

Is the problem I'm having a form of Flexgate cable issues?

I took my laptop to the Apple Store today and they said the problem would be $680 to fix since it was out of warranty. I asked if the problem I was having was related to the "FlexGate" issues which I heard were covered under an extended warranty and the Apple Genius brought up an Apple web site and had me slowly scroll trough the extended warranty issue that were active to show me that the 15" MacBook Pro was not covered. I found the FlexGate 13" problem there and asked if the problem I was having was the same issue but was told that only the 13" was covered.

I went ahead with the repair since I need the laptop but am definitely not a happy customer.

IMG_2899.jpg

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
I thought I was good and didnt have this problem but tonight playing a game on my MBP, the backlight just went dark. Can still see the LCD working perfectly underneath if you shine something on it. Time to make that Applecare+ go to work.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Update to my previous post: Took my MBP in yesterday. Told the guy what was going on and he took an LED light out and checked the screen and noted in the work order that it was only a backlight issue. They are sending it out. Was quoted $475 before tax to fix but should be covered under Applecare+.

Anyone know if they have updated the parts with a fix or are they just replacing with the same part?

slowsoul

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
Anyone know if they have updated the parts with a fix or are they just replacing with the same part?

That is exactly my same question.

Took my out-of-guarantee MPB 2017 yesterday, was told in the beginning that it wasn't covered in the repair program, but after seeing my disappointment they eventually gave me a free repair. Much appreciated, I suppose it's only a matter of time before they include the 2017 MPBs in the repair program.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
I think someone earlier in this thread noticed they might be using the slightly longer cables on the replacement displays. Time will tell of the longer cables even fix the problem. I have a 2018 and haven’t had issues yet...

slowsoul

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
I think someone earlier in this thread noticed they might be using the slightly longer cables on the replacement displays. Time will tell of the longer cables even fix the problem. I have a 2018 and haven’t had issues yet...

As far as I read, 2018 have longer cables.

abercrombie

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
Parent's Basement
The problem I'm having is that my screen has become distorted with blue and pink lines going through it. I've seen some similar posts in this thread but I'm not sure if this is the same issue as the Flexgate problem which seems to center around the backlighting. I don't have issues with backlighting just the distorted screen with blue and pink lines as shown in the photo. If I plug my laptop into an external display, there is no distortion and the screen performs as normal.

Is the problem I'm having a form of Flexgate cable issues?

I took my laptop to the Apple Store today and they said the problem would be $680 to fix since it was out of warranty. I asked if the problem I was having was related to the "FlexGate" issues which I heard were covered under an extended warranty and the Apple Genius brought up an Apple web site and had me slowly scroll trough the extended warranty issue that were active to show me that the 15" MacBook Pro was not covered. I found the FlexGate 13" problem there and asked if the problem I was having was the same issue but was told that only the 13" was covered.

I went ahead with the repair since I need the laptop but am definitely not a happy customer.
Hi, my 2016 13" had a very similar issue where ghosting occurred and then eventually it started looking like yours, and finally it would go partially black. It's a stationary machine that is always on like a desktop and remote into it with Teamviewer, so I rarely close the lid so not sure if Flexgate applies. I did see a repair person on YouTube say that the cable pops out of the connectors sometimes and it's a simple reseating of the cable. Fortunately, it was still under AppleCare+ and they fixed it under no extra charge.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
So I just got my MBP back and they replaced everything but the display it seems. I got a new top case including logic board, keyboard, battery, touch bar, and trackpad. Everything but the display was replaced (verified because my sticker is still on the aluminum).

The best part is, to me none of these parts seemed defective to me. My screen had only lost the backlight.

IMG-20190824-141752.jpg

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
California
Take it to different apple store if around.

Also try the computer with external monitor because if it’s graphics card it should show something. Graphics card is internal problem and has nothing to do with you, you need to really push them or talk to a manager.

As well as try to play around with the lid and see if at certain angle the screen comes back working.

BINGO! I wasn't sure if it was flexgate, since my issue has been a blue-green-purple shimmering cast to the display. I called tech support and I'm sending it in for [free] repair. When I tried tilting the display forward (a bit harder to read) it suddenly corrected itself, so I am now pretty sure it's the cable issue after all. Thanks for suggesting the different angle, Christian.

Komplexus

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2019
Berlin, Germany
People! Here are some good news:

I had those horizontal pink and turquoise lines all over my display (MacBook 13" 2016) and when I opend it over 45° it turned black. I went to an Apple Store in Taiwan at least 3 times and they told me it's not the flexgate problem. Also they told me different reasons everytime I went there.

Now I went to an Apple support in Germany and they immediately identified it as the flexgate problem and took it in for repair (without me paying a cent)!

Don't let anyone fool you, do your research and show them all the examples on the internet of people who had these horizontal lines and got it repaired for free. Yes, also the horizontal lines are a part of the flexgate problem!

ken3456

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
My MBP 2016 15" ran into the keyboard issue about two months ago, apple fixed it under the recall program. But the same MBP screen went blank last week, apple store told me the screen need be replaced and the cost is $680+tax. I said NO, so now I have a MBP without screen :(

It worked fine with an external monitor, but I cannot move it around anymore. Basically it was a high-end macbook pro, now a low end iMac. It's a shame, Apple!

Last edited:

tuliofnunes

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2019
Has anyone had this problem with MB pro with Touch Bar late 2018? I’ve never got the stage light issues, but instead I’m having this problem with a blank screen, but in some angles it might work normally. I took it to the Genius Bar today and the technician suggested to replace the cable first, but if that didn’t work I would have to replace the whole screen. It’s out of warranty, so if the cable works I have to pay “only” $67 plus $110 for labor, but if it doesn’t the screen replacement is almost $600. I live in Toronto btw.
Anyone thinks my issue can be related to this Flexgate, even though it’s a 2018 machine? Any chances I can get this screen replacement for free?

Attachments

• 57D22861-A1F6-447B-8B68-434057C1B52C.jpeg
    57D22861-A1F6-447B-8B68-434057C1B52C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 317
  • C46C5F64-DF53-499E-8CD6-A360E81386CE.jpeg
    C46C5F64-DF53-499E-8CD6-A360E81386CE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 244

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
Has anyone had this problem with MB pro with Touch Bar late 2018? I’ve never got the stage light issues, but instead I’m having this problem with a blank screen, but in some angles it might work normally. I took it to the Genius Bar today and the technician suggested to replace the cable first, but if that didn’t work I would have to replace the whole screen. It’s out of warranty, so if the cable works I have to pay “only” $67 plus $110 for labor, but if it doesn’t the screen replacement is almost $600. I live in Toronto btw.
Anyone thinks my issue can be related to this Flexgate, even though it’s a 2018 machine? Any chances I can get this screen replacement for free?

Now you’re scaring me- I specifically got a 2018 last year to avoid Flexgate!

pmorales

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2019
Spain
Has anyone had problems with a MacBook Pro 13 nTB model (2017) manufactured in late 2018? Mine was manufactured in late 2018 and my machine has been working great so far, but I only use it for a few hours a week and I take extremely good care of my laptop.
Since it was manufactured in late 2018 I wonder if the display cable is as long as the cable in the 2018 model...

Last edited:
Reactions: Arya Kumar

Jerec

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
New York

How did the repair go? I got changed screen in my MBP 15” 2017 today, because of strange cracking sounds while closing the lid. They said, that these screens now have different part number then before. So should have longer flex. But if this issue haunts even the 2018s now...

dimonnwc3

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2013
I have a flexgate issue with MBP 13 2018, the screen started flickering and a big black line in the middle, just ~45 days after my warranty expired.
Genius told that it costs 550€ (Germany) to repair. They are refusing to acknowledge the issue.

Bo15

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Georgia
2016 MBP 15. Display just went dark and never came back; the rest seemed to work. 1 month remaining on Applecare. Took it to a store and they sent it off for repair. Fedexed to me at home after replacing top case, a cable, and the logic board.

Bingopajama

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2019
This happened to my computer today and is just as described - a stage light effect at the bottom of the screen. Of course, it's the day before Thanksgiving and there are no Genius Bar appointments so I have to wait until Friday. I recently had to have the keyboard replaced for the sticking keys issue. I am not a happy Mac customer. Maybe instead of pushing out new phones every damn year, they should focus on making high quality products that are worth the price we pay for them.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
This happened to my computer today and is just as described - a stage light effect at the bottom of the screen. Of course, it's the day before Thanksgiving and there are no Genius Bar appointments so I have to wait until Friday. I recently had to have the keyboard replaced for the sticking keys issue. I am not a happy Mac customer. Maybe instead of pushing out new phones every damn year, they should focus on making high quality products that are worth the price we pay for them.

I've bought an Early-2013 Retina Macbook Pro around November, 2013. The first thing that annoyed me was the ghosting effect from LG screens. So I went to an AASP to replace the screen, then they replaced with a Samsung one. The problem with Samsung screens were (and I think they still are at some extent) unevenly tinted, with spots yellower than others. This is pretty normal (sadly) on IPS panels without pixel-level calibration (like on high-end Eizos), but since it was one of the first laptop models with IPS displays I thought it wasn't the expected behaviour. So I've asked an additional screen replacement. Around mid-2018, I had problems with my battery (turning off around 30% of charge). I saw it was being replaced for free since it was considered a manufacturing problem and asked Apple for a replacement. They replaced it for free and also installed a new screen since it was suffering of the coating-gate issue. The new screen also has yellowish spots, so I presume newer Macs still suffer from it. I wonder why people aren't annoyed by this problem, as it's a bit distracting once you're aware of the issue.

To summarize: although Apple devices have issues, they've always tried to provide a solution to the best of their efforts. Not perfect, though, but it's not something I would expect from any other manufacturer (perhaps Dell if you have some kind of premium warranty).

Reactions: ilikewhey

Arya Kumar

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
I purchased my MacBook Pro in august 2017. In the month of March 2019, one day I was working on da Vinci resolve and suddenly my display turned off and display started showing white and black patches on the bottom on the screen and display only works below 45 degree angle. I soon found out that I was due to fault in the backlight cable length. The issue has been dubbed as #flexgate. So, it’s a manufacturing defect. Apple did launch a repair program for 2016 models with similar issue and I have been waiting for past 8 months for Apple to extend the program to include 2017 13 inch models. It’s very expensive to repair my Mac and I have already visited Apple service centre 3 times in India in Delhi and Chandigarh at Unicorn AASP. But I seems there is NO HOPE
[automerge]1575176709[/automerge]
Check out my discussion in Apple forums
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250902774
So, the summary is: Apple does agree that it is a manufacturing defect but since my model isn’t including in backlight repair program, they cant do anything.

Attachments

• C276DDE7-0B0E-438A-9896-11EA9DA0F622.jpeg
    C276DDE7-0B0E-438A-9896-11EA9DA0F622.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 292
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.