Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 220 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 227 50.8%

• Total voters

Arya Kumar

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
Also, is no one using 2017 13” macbook pro suffering from this issue ? Where is everyone, let’s start reporting this issue, maybe apple will listen !!! #flexgate

Reactions: kayteaas

KK108

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2016
About a month ago, my 2016 15" MacPro got the flexgate issue of backlight spotlight. Within 2 weeks, the display went black if I opened it beyond 45 degrees. I was very fortunate because I had exactly 1 month left on my 3 yr AppleCare warranty so was able to have the display replaced before Dec 1. My question is: should I behave differently to prevent excess wear and tear on the cable now? When is the cable most stressed - when I open the display to maximum angle? or is it the number of opening/closing of the lid that stresses it? Arya says that Apple uses the longer cable in the replacement parts so maybe I don't need to adjust anything or worry at all. However mine is a 15" so I would hope its replacement parts have the longer cable.

Arya Kumar

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
About a month ago, my 2016 15" MacPro got the flexgate issue of backlight spotlight. Within 2 weeks, the display went black if I opened it beyond 45 degrees. I was very fortunate because I had exactly 1 month left on my 3 yr AppleCare warranty so was able to have the display replaced before Dec 1. My question is: should I behave differently to prevent excess wear and tear on the cable now? When is the cable most stressed - when I open the display to maximum angle? or is it the number of opening/closing of the lid that stresses it? Arya says that Apple uses the longer cable in the replacement parts so maybe I don't need to adjust anything or worry at all. However mine is a 15" so I would hope its replacement parts have the longer cable.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

If your warranty just expired, I would probably consider selling your MBP and getting a new one (with a new warranty).

I don't think that the new cable will be an issue but, if any other issues occur, most repairs (even simple problems) require the replacement of a major portion of the laptop.

Most repairs on your MBP are cost prohibitive (not really worth it) once you have to pay for it.

Arya Kumar

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
1. The case with 15” macbook Pro flex cable is they are wider, which means the stress is evenly distributed over a widely area.
2. Apple has also released a backlight program for 13” model, but the point is if Apple didn’t fix the issue in replacement parts then there is no point in starting a replacement program as users will come back again complaining about the same issue after 1-2 years.
3. In my post #501, u should check out the ifixit link that I provided and read what ifixit has to say on this matter. Here Is the link again:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...lexgate+and+Apple+said+this!+What+should+I+do

4. The best think u can do on your part is not open the display to the maximum extent i.e. 120 degree. Try to use your Mac at most times at around 110 degree or less, then it can be said that your mac’s display will last a long time.
5. But no matter how good is the thin design or Apple philosophy or whatever, around 60% of apple‘s entire revenue is generated from iPhone, they don’t care about MacBook, I am saying this bcoz I am having a horrible experience with Apple senior advisors and Apple support about my Mac

Arya Kumar

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
See macbook Pro 2016 15” inch models are also suffering from #flexgate.

why does everyone love Apple despite of Apple screwing u over n over ? Is it just because they make great products ? But does that mean we should ignore their mistakes n continue to trust them n let them screw us over n over !!!

Reactions: pranasgr

Faiz Zainal

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
The flexgate issue happended to me again this week for my macbook pro 15.

Last year hit once to my macbook pro 13. I forked out my money for replacement and the request for refund last 2 months. But now, Apple didnt provide recall programs for 15-inch macbook pro.

Do we have any petition specifically for 15-macbook pro flexgate issue? suggest to create one.

Arya Kumar

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019

Last year hit once to my macbook pro 13. I forked out my money for replacement and the request for refund last 2 months. But now, Apple didnt provide recall programs for 15-inch macbook pro.

Do we have any petition specifically for 15-macbook pro flexgate issue? suggest to create one.
Wow, I starting to believe Apple has the worst customer support for MacBook lineup.
1. there is a petition for all MacBook pro affected by #flexgate at the link below:

https://www.change.org/p/apple-fix-...e-light-effect-or-backlight-shutdown-flexgate

2. If your macbook Pro 13 is of 2016 model then u will get free repair. To confirm this check the following link:

https://support.apple.com/en-in/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service

3. U should aslo call apple support and let them know that u are facing the #flexgate issue.

4. Tweet your issue with #flexgate on twitter and also record a small video of the issue and upload it on YouTube. Even though no One sees your tweet or YouTube video. It will create a awareness on the Internet.
And also don’t forget to mention #flexgate on wherever u post your issue.
5. Apple is very very big company, they track everything about their products and others too.

Arya Kumar

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019

And also vote if u are facing the issue at the top of this page.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I'm mega paranoid - I run my MBP hard and it's traveled the world, it's a late 2016 15". Haven't seen the issue yet, and I really want a 16" but could 100% go another year with this machine and save some cash. I don't have AppleCare on this one though and if I have to drop $600 on a display replacement into a 3-year-old laptop I'm gonna be pissed I didn't just go with the 16" and take the trade in value now.

What a dilemma, possibly pay Apple $600 or possibly upgrade and pay apple $2800.

Pól Skarðenni

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
when it is happened? Have u replaced ur lcd?
About 4 days ago, have not replaced it, it is to expensive fore my budget right now :-(
[automerge]1575898144[/automerge]
FF1B7E48-8417-4624-85EA-C169370781A0.jpeg

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
I heard in some circumstances you can fix the problem by replacing screen cable which is cost about $20

kayteaas

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2019
If your warranty just expired, I would probably consider selling your MBP and getting a new one (with a new warranty).

I don't think that the new cable will be an issue but, if any other issues occur, most repairs (even simple problems) require the replacement of a major portion of the laptop.

Most repairs on your MBP are cost prohibitive (not really worth it) once you have to pay for it.
They will be about 800$ for a Screen Replacement. So we need to tell Apple to cover this like they have been covering the other models. Tell Apple: https://getsupport.apple.com/

pmorales

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2019
Spain
Also, is no one using 2017 13” macbook pro suffering from this issue ? Where is everyone, let’s start reporting this issue, maybe apple will listen !!! #flexgate
I believe that the late 2017 models (the ones manufactured in 2018) have this problem solved. Apple was aware of this problem because they started using a longer cable on the 2018 models. I want to think that apple also changed the design of the cable for every model that was being manufactured at that time.
I have a 13" 2017 MacBook Pro nTB manufactured in October 2018 and I haven't had any issues with it yet (knock on wood).
If you have the same model as me you could check the length of the cable. I'd do it myself but I don't have the tools nor the knowledge to do it.

Arya Kumar

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
I believe that the late 2017 models (the ones manufactured in 2018) have this problem solved. Apple was aware of this problem because they started using a longer cable on the 2018 models. I want to think that apple also changed the design of the cable for every model that was being manufactured at that time.
I have a 13" 2017 MacBook Pro nTB manufactured in October 2018 and I haven't had any issues with it yet (knock on wood).
If you have the same model as me you could check the length of the cable. I'd do it myself but I don't have the tools nor the knowledge to do it.
yes, it’s for 2016 and 2017 MacBook P it’s totally dependent on when was the device manufactured as stated in backlight repair program that the affected models were sold in between October 2016 and February 2018. Since your model was manufactured way after February 2018 I.e. October 2018.
it‘s safer to say u will be fine.
BUT,
u can’t be 100% sure bcoz u haven’t reached a minimum time period required to this issue to appear.
For example, in my case the issue#flexgage occurred after 1.5 years of purchasing my Mac ( I also had 13” 2017 MacBook Pro ). So, If I were u, I won’t be 100% care free.

sign the petition( its not necessary but it‘ll help raise awareness) here if u can bcoz if the issue did occur and Apple extends its backlight repair program u will get free repair.
https://www.change.org/p/apple-fix-...e-light-effect-or-backlight-shutdown-flexgate

and also vote at the top the page as yes ? it’ll help us affected users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.