Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Interesting observation (may require more testing): after changing macbook's resolution to the "native" one (not "Default" for Macbook pro 2016+) ie. Scaled/Look like 1440x900 for 15" display, the "stretching" in full screen videos (when subtitles disappears) is gone.

vladfff

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2019
I doubt about version 10.14.1

MB Pro 2017, Radeon 560, Mojave, 10.14.4 (beta), select to discrete graphics,

Safari - glitch and crash

in Google Chrome - OK, no problem

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
I doubt about version 10.14.1

MB Pro 2017, Radeon 560, Mojave, 10.14.4 (beta), select to discrete graphics,

Safari - glitch and crash

in Google Chrome - OK, no problem

I think your issue is different to the one discussed here though...

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2018
Heads up all. 10.14.4 is out and according to https://eclecticlight.co/2018/10/31/which-efi-firmware-should-your-mac-be-using-version-3/ looks like another EFI firmware update has been injected into the update. Please relay your results to this on board GPU glitch. I am never a super early adopter, but will wait a few days to shake out the potential critical bugs.
[doublepost=1553613099][/doublepost]
Solved on 10.14.4 for me!
Can you please share your Mac model number?

myret

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2018
Mine is also solved with the new update... I have sent diagnostics to apple and reported bug. I think many people did it and now it is solved.

FrakeTrain

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2018
Good to see they may have finally fixed the glitch, please keep the confirmations coming. In case it shows up again, I was going through my other threads today, and credit goes to adiduz on reddit who posted 21 days ago and found the only temporary fix I have seen. The glitch disappears if one resizes the cursor from the System Preferences/Accessibility/Displays. This actually fixed the issue for me until a restart... unbelievable o_O. Just FYI

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
Youtube seems fixed, also netflix.
But that annoying green tint on 100% black of a a video when the dGPU is used still remains.

Debarati

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2019
Has anyone else noticed video glitches when watching video full-screen in Safari on Mojave? I have a 2018 MacBook Pro 15" and I'm on the GM of Mojave, but I notice green glitches and other artifacts when playing video. I don't notice this however under Chrome.

dreadlord

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
Sadly, this issue has returned with 10.14.6. My device is MacBook Pro 13-inch Early 2015 base model.

There are many graphical glitches/flickers started to occur after updating to 10.14.6. I have sent feedbacks to Apple about all of these issues.

My comment on reddit regarding 10.14.6 graphical issues:

"The extension AdBlock (maybe other content blockers as well) causes the issue. After disabling the extension, this issue has been fixed for me.

However, there are many graphical flickers/glitches/artifacts started to occur after updating to Mojave 10.14.6, and they are all system related -not related to AdBlock extension-.

1. A part of the screen flickers (different part of the content on the screen or a white box or a black box flashes on the screen) for a split second regardless of the which application I am using. This happens to me once in an hour.

2. Artifacts on black backgrounds when video in fullscreen and player controls hidden (only Safari). This is confirmed that MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017 No Touch-Bar is also affected. (ex. video:
    )
Can you confirm that these issues also apply to you? The first issue I have mentioned makes me nervous since the flickers can occur anytime, and there is nothing I can do to fix this.

Supplemental update does not address these issues. I have sent feedbacks about these issues."

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-3_13-18-21.png
    upload_2019-8-3_13-18-21.png
    206.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

iPetrie

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2019
Sadly, this issue has returned with 10.14.6. My device is MacBook Pro 13-inch Early 2015 base model.

There are many graphical glitches/flickers started to occur after updating to 10.14.6. I have sent feedbacks to Apple about all of these issues.

My comment on reddit regarding 10.14.6 graphical issues:

"The extension AdBlock (maybe other content blockers as well) causes the issue. After disabling the extension, this issue has been fixed for me.

However, there are many graphical flickers/glitches/artifacts started to occur after updating to Mojave 10.14.6, and they are all system related -not related to AdBlock extension-.

1. A part of the screen flickers (different part of the content on the screen or a white box or a black box flashes on the screen) for a split second regardless of the which application I am using. This happens to me once in an hour.

2. Artifacts on black backgrounds when video in fullscreen and player controls hidden (only Safari). This is confirmed that MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017 No Touch-Bar is also affected. (ex. video:
    )
Can you confirm that these issues also apply to you? The first issue I have mentioned makes me nervous since the flickers can occur anytime, and there is nothing I can do to fix this.

Supplemental update does not address these issues. I have sent feedbacks about these issues."
I have the same issue as well on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). When I watch YouTube in fullscreen mode, there are flickers on the screen. By the way, I use Safari. And I also noticed that this happens only when watching YouTube, because even if I watch the same video on some other website — everything seems to be fine. I've been just looking for a way to solve this problem and thus come across this webpage. So does anyone has a solution or at least any advice maybe?

dreadlord

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
I have the same issue as well on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). When I watch YouTube in fullscreen mode, there are flickers on the screen. By the way, I use Safari. And I also noticed that this happens only when watching YouTube, because even if I watch the same video on some other website — everything seems to be fine. I've been just looking for a way to solve this problem and thus come across this webpage. So does anyone has a solution or at least any advice maybe?

I haven't found any solution. I think, this should be fixed by Apple via software update.

Riso

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2019
I too experience glitches whilst watching videos in full screen on Youtube. It's most noticeable with videos containing bright vivid colours. The colours tend to change hue/saturation which makes them look like they're flickering.

I read somewhere about a temporary solution whereby you change the size of the cursor in System Preferences / Accessibility / Display. This does actually seem to work, but after sometime the problem comes back again.

2018 MacBook Pro 15"
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Radeon Pro 560X

iPetrie

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2019
I too experience glitches whilst watching videos in full screen on Youtube. It's most noticeable with videos containing bright vivid colours. The colours tend to change hue/saturation which makes them look like they're flickering.

I read somewhere about a temporary solution whereby you change the size of the cursor in System Preferences / Accessibility / Display. This does actually seem to work, but after sometime the problem comes back again.

2018 MacBook Pro 15"
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Radeon Pro 560X
Since I wrote my previous post here, things have got even worse for me. Now those glitches and flickering of display happen absolutely randomly, not only when I watch videos on YouTube. I really hope that Apple will fix this issue with the next update of MacOS, otherwise I'll probably have to take my MacBook to a repair centre.

dreadlord

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
Have you reported the issue using Feedback Assistant on Mac?

I have reported 3 different graphical problems 3 weeks ago. No response yet from Apple.

iPetrie

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2019
Have you reported the issue using Feedback Assistant on Mac?

I have reported 3 different graphical problems 3 weeks ago. No response yet from Apple.
Well, I've just submitted one as well. Hopefully this will help.

dreadlord

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
I have thought flickers happen in any screen regardless of the application I am using. I've just realized that all the flickering I've seen happen on a content rendered using web engine. Spotify app uses Chromium engine to render content. WhatsApp for Mac also uses Chromium engine. Even though Safari uses its WebKit engine, flickers occur while browsing on Safari, too.

GoPro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
I also get random screen flickering/glitching that's prominent near the bottom of my screen. I've only noticed it whilst using Chrome/youtube but I haven't opened any other app besides chrome to check if it happens elsewhere.

tyhenry

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2019
广东, 中华人民共和国
I have thought flickers happen in any screen regardless of the application I am using. I've just realized that all the flickering I've seen happen on a content rendered using web engine. Spotify app uses Chromium engine to render content. WhatsApp for Mac also uses Chromium engine. Even though Safari uses its WebKit engine, flickers occur while browsing on Safari, too.
We'd better report the issue with the same title so that Apple engineer would realize that this is a widespread bug. What's your title when you reported?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.