Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PP master 69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2019
Hey,
so i have a base model 13 2017 macbook pro and i have the possibility to trade it for a 13 2017-18 razer blade stealth and i am wondering if i should trade or keep this or sell this and get soemthing else? i edit photos, web browse, email, write, and play world of tanks and war thunder. thx

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
If you're planning to switch to Windows, Razer would be the last company I'd think of buying a computer from. horrible customer service and quality control.

If you want a Windows laptop, get a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2 or MSI GS65 or Dell XPS 7590 or Alienware m15 R2 with a 240hz screen

Reactions: MAXiPAD

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
so i have a base model 13 2017 macbook pro and i have the possibility to trade it for a 13 2017-18 razer blade stealth
Your best bet is sell it on ebay, swappa, craigslist, etc. I'm unaware of any trade-in programs, and even if they did exist, you'd get more bang for your dollar by selling it yourself.

Razer would be the last company
They've improved as per this article and from ancedotel evidence that I've seen.
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/razer-brand-rating

I'm not saying they're perfect, but to be honest, they've had a heck of lot less issues then the MBP has these past 3 years.

If you want a Windows laptop, get a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2 or MSI GS65 or Dell XPS 7590 or Alienware m15 R2 with a 240hz screen
Depending on the what the OP wants these are great suggestions, I have the ThinkPad X1 Extreme (first gen). Its just about a perfect laptop with the exception of the GPU. I'm kicking around the idea of a Razer 15" for a bit more power in that department.

Last edited:

PP master 69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2019
hey,
thank you all for your replies.i think i will . just see what comes up on marketplace.

MAXiPAD

Suspended
Dec 9, 2019
Hey,
so i have a base model 13 2017 macbook pro and i have the possibility to trade it for a 13 2017-18 razer blade stealth and i am wondering if i should trade or keep this or sell this and get soemthing else? i edit photos, web browse, email, write, and play world of tanks and war thunder. thx

Keep your MacBook Pro, whatever else you do. Windows PCs look great, exciting and powerful on paper. Then you use them and it all falls apart. Sometimes literally.

avtella

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2016
Keep your MacBook Pro, whatever else you do. Windows PCs look great, exciting and powerful on paper. Then you use them and it all falls apart. Sometimes literally.

I wouldn’t generalize. The very old Latitudes/Precisions from my dad’s company that still run, say otherwise. Not to mention some that I received were already pretty abused. I’ve used them in 100-120F weather with no AC when I was abroad a few years back in a rural area one was an old D620 and they held up amazingly well. I haven’t had a single one of them fail me. Best part is Dell even has disassembly manuals for them if anything every needed replacing upgrading. Even at home it’s pretty much Dell (XPS9350/9370/Inspiron 7577) except for me as I also have a MacBook Pro 16” ,we’ve bought our laptops from the Dell refurb store. I got my boss to switch to a XPS 7390 2in1 from his trusty old 15” 2009 MacBook Pro, he loves it a lot and no issues thus far.

HP and Acer on the other hand are a different story. Never owned any models from either but knew way too many people who did and had issues within like a year. Also some people but not all have the habit of comparing at times like lower grade $300-500 laptops from brand X with $1,500-2000 business laptops from brand Y, which isn’t much of an Apple to Apples comparison.

Last edited:

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada

My Acer laptop with Sandy Bridge Core i5 still rocking. Admittedly, it is no longer doing heavy workload, I am using this mainly as HTPC. Think about that, 2nd Gen Core i5 is around 2009, 10 years old PC still rocking latest Windows 10.
[automerge]1577467583[/automerge]
I wouldn’t generalize. The very old Latitudes/Precisions from my dad’s company that still run, say otherwise. Not to mention some that I received were already pretty abused. I’ve used them in 100-120F weather with no AC when I was abroad a few years back in a rural area one was an old D620 and they held up amazingly well. I haven’t had a single one of them fail me. Best part is Dell even has disassembly manuals for them if anything every needed replacing upgrading. Even at home it’s pretty much Dell (XPS9350/9370/Inspiron 7577) except for me as I also have a MacBook Pro 16” ,we’ve bought our laptops from the Dell refurb store. I got my boss to switch to a XPS 7390 2in1 from his trusty old 15” 2009 MacBook Pro, he loves it a lot and no issues thus far.

HP and Acer on the other hand are a different story. Never owned any models from either but knew way too many people who did and had issues within like a year. Also some people but not all have the habit of comparing at times like lower grade $300-500 laptops from brand X with $1,500-2000 business laptops from brand Y, which isn’t much of an Apple to Apples comparison.

I never had HP. So I would not say anything about HP.

I have had 4 Acer laptops currently. One is rocking Intel Core Duo professor (if you remember, that is last generation of processor that is 32bit and I brought it around 2005). This laptop is currently running Linux Mint.

I have other Acer Aspire with 2nd Gen Core i5 which I brought around 2009, currently hooked up with TV as HTPC. Running latest version of Windows 10.

The newest addition is Acer Swift 3 Refurbished with Kaby Lake processor. Brought in Christmas 2018. One year later, still rocking.

I never had any issue with Acer in general. All the Acer laptop I have had were great. I will probably continue purchasing Acer laptop down the road.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
My Acer laptop with Sandy Bridge Core i5 still rocking. Admittedly, it is no longer doing heavy workload, I am using this mainly as HTPC. Think about that, 2nd Gen Core i5 is around 2009, 10 years old PC still rocking latest Windows 10.
[automerge]1577467583[/automerge]

I never had HP. So I would not say anything about HP.

I have had 4 Acer laptops currently. One is rocking Intel Core Duo professor (if you remember, that is last generation of processor that is 32bit and I brought it around 2005). This laptop is currently running Linux Mint.

I have other Acer Aspire with 2nd Gen Core i5 which I brought around 2009, currently hooked up with TV as HTPC. Running latest version of Windows 10.

The newest addition is Acer Swift 3 Refurbished with Kaby Lake processor. Brought in Christmas 2018. One year later, still rocking.

I never had any issue with Acer in general. All the Acer laptop I have had were great. I will probably continue purchasing Acer laptop down the road.

I don't buy into Mac's being more reliable, what I buy into is Apple deals with customer issues far better. I've seen more Mac's fail than PC's and they all get equally abused. Bottom line is if a Mac fails you speak to Apple and they resolve and or plicate the customer, one way or the other.

Only Mac I personally use now is utilised as a HTPC. Business-wise rest are "down the road". We switched all business related hardware to Windows several years back. Thx to Apple being far too little, far too late with added problems simply isn't a road map for success for many independent companies. Apple clearly doesn't care, neither do I, difference being I'm the paying customer...

Q-6

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I don't buy into Mac's being more reliable, what I buy into is Apple deals with customer issues far better. I've seen more Mac's fail than PC's and they all get equally abused. Bottom line is if a Mac fails you speak to Apple and they resolve and or plicate the customer, one way or the other.

Only Mac I personally use now is utilised as a HTPC. Business-wise rest are "down the road". We switched all business related hardware to Windows several years back. Thx to Apple being far too little, far too late with added problems simply isn't a road map for success for many independent companies. Apple clearly doesn't care, neither do I, difference being I'm the paying customer...

Q-6

Funny enough. I don’t have any PC failed during warranty period. All my PCs (that is 6 desktop computers over past 20 years and dozens of laptop for all my family members) are all problems free.

If not my AMD Athlon64 X2 is getting to the point even modern Linux is struggling, it would still being used. The oldest PC my mother still using is the AMD Phenom II X4.

Reactions: Queen6

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA

I agree. Generalizing PC doesn't make any sense at all. Retail "PC" is a multitude of companies with a multitude of products. The failure rates among those companies are going to vary wildly. Look at Lenovo. You've got hundreds of different PC products from Lenovo alone. Same for Dell and HP. There are much more possibilities for failure across the massive realm of "PC". It is like trying to judge the overall temperature of the Atlantic ocean by sticking your toe in the water in Iceland.

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hey,

I think Windows laptops are really great devices that are usually sold at a great price. If you really want to get rid of your MBP? I'd sell it and buy a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme(Gen 2). Razer products, including their computers, are severely lacking in quality control and customer service.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
If you're planning to switch to Windows, Razer would be the last company I'd think of buying a computer from. horrible customer service and quality control.

they have improved according to this link below.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Q-6

If they were more reliable Applecare would not exist, Apple only offer 1 year like any other OEM

Although Apple customer service is 2nd to none, this is only true in a few countries, most places they are just a mail in service at best.

The only laptops I have had that literally fell apart were the 3 White Macbooks I bought my kids that had bits of plastic pinging off and 2 of them had screen anti glare de-lamination

None of these faults were covered by local re-sellers and it was years later that an Apple store came to UAE

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
If they were more reliable Applecare would not exist, Apple only offer 1 year like any other OEM

I really don't think offering extended warranties is an indication that any product is any more or less reliable than other products. This is just a common add-on product companies use to make more money.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I really don't think offering extended warranties is an indication that any product is any more or less reliable than other products. This is just a common add-on product companies use to make more money.
I agree but sorry I think your missing the point if they were more reliable then they would have 2 or 3 year warranty standard and hence no AC required

Ie standby your product

Last edited:

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I agree but sorry I think your missing the point if they were more reliable then they would have 2 or 3 year warranty standard and hence no AC required

Ie standby your product

No, I do understand your point. But Apple isn't going to let principle get in the way of making another billion dollars a year, which is about what they make off of AppleCare. Years ago when Steve Jobs was in charge and Apple products were considered the best of the best in terms of reliability, they still had AppleCare.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
No, I do understand your point. But Apple isn't going to let principle get in the way of making another billion dollars a year, which is about what they make off of AppleCare. Years ago when Steve Jobs was in charge and Apple products were considered the best of the best in terms of reliability, they still had AppleCare.
If true that's even worse

Queen6

macrumors G4

Although Apple customer service is 2nd to none, this is only true in a few countries, most places they are just a mail in service at best.

The only laptops I have had that literally fell apart were the 3 White Macbooks I bought my kids that had bits of plastic pinging off and 2 of them had screen anti glare de-lamination

None of these faults were covered by local re-sellers and it was years later that an Apple store came to UAE

3 years international warrantee with this ASUS, no extra charge so they are clearly confident in their product. Two MacBook Airs with expanding batteries, one MacBook Air simply up and died, 15" MacBook Pro another expanding battery, feet fell of another 15" and it's display is failing and ghosts, 12" Retina MacBook USB C port is now terminally loose...

Admittedly the notebooks were well used and none failed in the warranty period, equally they weren't ancient history either. I've owned a fair number of Mac's over the years and IMO the quality has diminished over the years as has the value Mac's represent.

On the Windows side only had issue with a couple very cheap notebooks that I bought for my kids to learn the basics, and they lasted longer than the MBA's.

Q-6
[automerge]1577546930[/automerge]
If true that's even worse

I believe it is and Apple is doing it's level best from a design point of view to make Apple Care mandatory, as even a minor issue can result in a very expensive repair. Most will likely opt for a new computer versus sinking money into an aged product.

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Which ASUS model is that, if you don’t mind me asking? I know ASUS offers between 1 and 3 years warranty depending on the model.

GL703GS, no complaints at all really solid performer. i7 8750H, 32GB @ 2666, NVME SSD & SSHD, GTX 1070. No shortage of performance for it's generation.
3103CB (No Taskbar).jpg

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
No doubt. Asus is quality through and through. Really great looking products too.

It doesn't have the polish of the MBP, however it also doesn't come with the baggage the MBP brings. Since switching professionally to W10 not had an issue, so very reluctant to revisit Apple and it's antics. I was tempted to try a 16" MBP, equally it still remains to be a rather half hearted effort.

Q-6

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
It doesn't have the polish of the MBP, however it also doesn't come with the baggage the MBP brings. Since switching professionally to W10 not had an issue, so very reluctant to revisit Apple and it's antics. I was tempted to try a 16" MBP, equally it still remains to be a rather half hearted effort.

Q-6

The MBP is a beautiful device and I get why Mac fans love it. If I weren't a gamer then I would be all Mac as I really love the ecosystem. But Apple doesn't make it easy and I'm not about to lay down over $2300 for something that lacks the specs I need just the ecosystem's sake. It's just too much a compromise.

Reactions: kazmac and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
The MBP is a beautiful device and I get why Mac fans love it. If I weren't a gamer then I would be all Mac as I really love the ecosystem. But Apple doesn't make it easy and I'm not about to lay down over $2300 for something that lacks the specs I need just the ecosystem's sake. It's just too much a compromise.

There's still a lot I like about Apple, however they have systematically disappointed with the MBP and at the end of the day my notebooks are essential for work purpose. As the computers generate revenue the cost is not an issue, however it makes no sense to spend $3-$4K on hardware that doesn't cut it or the slightest problem renders it useless...

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.