Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osnat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2019
Hi All
Glad I found you :)
going over some old stuff in my mom's house. Found this old Mac I used to work on as a child.
What can you tell me about it? how/where can I sell it?
going over this forum and looking on ebay I understand it is worth something.
Will appreciate you help!
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-13 at 09.58.15 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-13 at 09.58.15.jpeg

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
For items like this to fetch a high price, you'd need original packaging, box and some other accessories.

For each of those you subtract from the deal, you're looking at lower and lower sale price.

If I'm being honest, whilst the case looks fairly good (except for some cleaning) and the colored badges nice and bright (un-faded), I fear you may have a leaked battery which is causing corrosion within. The staining near the power switch, compliance label, and the dull D connectors fill me with dread.

The keyboard and mouse appear to be "Platinum" colored, which don't match the age of the original Mac 128k.

As for price, I'm not to great on making sound guesses and there is more here to confirm. Try at least removing the battery door (above the power switch) and check the condition of the battery contacts.

Reactions: osnat

osnat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2019
For items like this to fetch a high price, you'd need original packaging, box and some other accessories.

For each of those you subtract from the deal, you're looking at lower and lower sale price.

If I'm being honest, whilst the case looks fairly good (except for some cleaning) and the colored badges nice and bright (un-faded), I fear you may have a leaked battery which is causing corrosion within. The staining near the power switch, compliance label, and the dull D connectors fill me with dread.

The keyboard and mouse appear to be "Platinum" colored, which don't match the age of the original Mac 128k.

As for price, I'm not to great on making sound guesses and there is more here to confirm. Try at least removing the battery door (above the power switch) and check the condition of the battery contacts.

Thank you so much for the detailed answer!!
I checked and indeed there is a bit of leak from the battery, I removed it.
Can you tell where can I get any clue regarding the price of it? and can you suggest where I can sell it? (leaving in Israel)

Thank you for your help :)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I paid $175 USD before shipping for my "Macintosh" with a bit of yellowing, no battery damage, and an included mouse but no keyboard.

As said, little things can affect the value of these. I bought mine sort of sight unseen, but MacTech looked at the photos of the logic board and confirmed it unmolested aside from some likely factory reworking before shipping. Many of these have been upgrade to 512K of RAM-that makes the computer significantly more usable, but in my experience hurts the value of them a fair bit. As much as I hate to say it, for someone who wants to USE an M0001 Mac, a 512Ke or Plus is a much better experience-I have a couple of examples of those models, and they get used while my "Macintosh" sits with my other compacts.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

They're definitely original - the mouse has the original "chunky" thumbscrews with the Apple logo on the end. Only the original 128k release Macs had those - my 512k had the smaller thumbscrews on its mouse, and that was long before Platinum came around.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
They're definitely original - the mouse has the original "chunky" thumbscrews with the Apple logo on the end. Only the original 128k release Macs had those - my 512k had the smaller thumbscrews on its mouse, and that was long before Platinum came around.
Indeed - I missed that.

Now I find the color inexplicable. o_O

A pic of the underside of the mouse would be of interest.

Reactions: AngerDanger

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I just gave away two of these to Staples for recycling. They have no value. Best Buy won’t even take them because they have CRTs.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I just gave away two of these to Staples for recycling. They have no value. Best Buy won’t even take them because they have CRTs.

Either you're lying, or you did zero research. These sell for multiple hundred dollars in nonworking condition, thousands working with accessories.

Even the later compact Macs sell for over $100.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
These sell for multiple hundred dollars in nonworking condition, thousands working with accessories.
I don't believe you. Can you point to any evidence of these machines selling for those prices? But hey, I don't really care. If the OP can get some money for his machine, all the better. I couldn't.

Last edited:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Here's an eBay search of just "sold listings" (meaning ones that actually sold for the listed price, not just over-asking auctions that didn't sell) showing results from a low of $120 for a non-working one to a high of $1949 for a working one.

Some quick math says that the average selling price for sales in August was $865.

Last edited:

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
Yeah, I got about 50 of these lying round my house...
I can't even walk about without tripping over one of these ol bastards.
I just dropped off a dozen of them for recycling because you know... They're practically WORTHLESS!

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 8.24.20 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.