Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Well, it's that time of year again — that time when Apple revokes the certificates in its older installers, rendering them completely useless.

Where can I find a currently signed full installer for macOS 10.12.6, preferably one I can use to create a bootable USB drive? I was only able to dig up a current download from Apple that contains only the InstallOS.pkg.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Well, it's that time of year again — that time when Apple revokes the certificates in its older installers, rendering them completely useless.

Where can I find a currently signed full installer for macOS 10.12.6, preferably one I can use to create a bootable USB drive? I was only able to dig up a current download from Apple that contains only the InstallOS.pkg.
Apple didn't revoke the certificate, certificates expire at a specific date. The current certificate is good until 2029.
Run the "InstallOS.pkg" and it will put a Sierra installer in your Applications folder.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
@chrfr What if I have the whole installer for 10.12.6? Could that be the reason I can't boot from it to kill SIP? OH! and is the 4.2.7 Patcher still good with the latest version. It's been so long and so much has changed. I'm totally spacing. I'm on a 3,1 where I have been happily using 10.12.6 for a long time.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you . . .

prometeus

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
To get bootable Sierra Installer you can:
1. Use old one "Install macOS Sierra.app", but!... when you boot from usb-drive, don't click to install macOS. Open Terminal from Utility menu and run this command:

date 1022100019

it will set the system date before the certificate expiration date. Now you can install macOS Sierra.

2. If you want new USB installer for macOS with new certificate you need to do more steps:
2.1. You need the old install (because in new one the execution file of createinstallmedia is not works... I don't know why)
2.2. You need new installer too. You can get it here:https://support.apple.com/HT208052
When you've got all, read next. Make backup of this two files (zip them all and save to another place).

2.3. Use old installer to create USB-installer according to this article: https://support.apple.com/HT201372
2.4. When you finish, delete "Install macOS Sierra.app" from USB drive and from the trash bin at all! It's important! It looks like empty USB, but it is NOT!
2.5. Then use InstallOS.dmg (new installer) to install new "Install macOS Sierra.app" in you Application folder. Just follow instruction. And when you'll done...
2.6. Copy new "Install macOS Sierra.app" to the USB drive you created before (step 2.3)
2.7. You are the KING! )) ... and ready to boot from new Sierra installer with new certificate.

Have fun!

p.s. Old installer is still available in Mac App Store. But only from older versions of macOS. It is not available from Mojave, Catalina... not sure, may be High Sierra too.
And don't forget, you can always install macOS which was shipped with your Mac from the Internet. Read this how: https://support.apple.com/HT201255, https://support.apple.com/HT204904

Last edited:

adn rcd dly

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
p.s. Old installer is still available in Mac App Store. But only from older versions of macOS. It is not available from Mojave, Catalina... not sure, may be High Sierra too.
And don't forget, you can always install macOS which was shipped with your Mac from the Internet. Read this how: https://support.apple.com/HT201255, https://support.apple.com/HT204904

So I have a Late 2009 iMac with an SSD upgrade that was done by my friend. I got it to right before the current macOS and then it started malfunctioning. It would boot in safe mode, but it would hang at the end for normal modes and make the screen all warped and artifacted.

I tried reinstalling an older version but it kept failing, likely because it had tried to create the APFS, which was not supported with my iMac.

So after troubleshooting to delete APFS and reformat the drive, I cannot install the OS from a thumbdrive as it says the image is corrupt.

I think this means I cannot use Internet Recovery as the internal disk is now totally blank.

Using the above steps I was finally able to download a real installer from the links provided, but the two macs I do have are too new that I can't run the .pkg files to put the installer in the Applications folder.

Thoughts?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
So I have a Late 2009 iMac with an SSD upgrade that was done by my friend. I got it to right before the current macOS and then it started malfunctioning. It would boot in safe mode, but it would hang at the end for normal modes and make the screen all warped and artifacted.

I tried reinstalling an older version but it kept failing, likely because it had tried to create the APFS, which was not supported with my iMac.

So after troubleshooting to delete APFS and reformat the drive, I cannot install the OS from a thumbdrive as it says the image is corrupt.

I think this means I cannot use Internet Recovery as the internal disk is now totally blank.

Using the above steps I was finally able to download a real installer from the links provided, but the two macs I do have are too new that I can't run the .pkg files to put the installer in the Applications folder.

Thoughts?
Which version of the macOS is on the bootable USB macOS installer thumb drive? Roughly when was the USB macOS installer thumb drive created or macOS downloaded (the problem may be a expired certificate 24 Oct. 2019)?

adn rcd dly

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Which version of the macOS is on the bootable USB macOS installer thumb drive? Roughly when was the USB macOS installer thumb drive created or macOS downloaded (the problem may be a expired certificate 24 Oct. 2019)?
It was created within the last 2 weeks from the .app a colleague had on his own server for High Sierra. I was able to use the steps to create the media, but when I am in recovery on the iMac it says it is damaged.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
It was created within the last 2 weeks from the .app a colleague had on his own server for High Sierra. I was able to use the steps to create the media, but when I am in recovery on the iMac it says it is damaged.
If this is what you are seeing then it is because it is a version that has a expired certificate:
Bad copy of High Sierra alert.png

Either download the latest version with the updated certificate and create a new USB installer:

or

Change the date with your current High Sierra USB installer to get around the date certificate expiration:

Boot to Recovery (Command + r) or Internet Recovery (Command+Option+ r) to get to Mac Utilities and use Terminal under the Utilities menu:

Use a Terminal Command Date to change the date to Install 10.13.6
“date” command string, where date is in the
[mm][dd]HH]MM[yy] format for 10-22-2019 1223:

so enter in Terminal (copy & paste):
Code:
date 1022122319

Then Quit the Terminal and select install the macOS.

adn rcd dly

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
If this is what you are seeing then it is because it is a version that has a expired certificate:
View attachment 883865

Either download the latest version with the updated certificate and create a new USB installer:

That is the error I get, so I will try the Terminal option first, but I am still curious about the other option for High Sierra. On either of my current Macs, clicking that link takes me to the App Store and the clicking "Get" takes me to the Updates pane in System Preferences. So how do I get around that to be able to actually download a new installer?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
That is the error I get, so I will try the Terminal option first, but I am still curious about the other option for High Sierra. On either of my current Macs, clicking that link takes me to the App Store and the clicking "Get" takes me to the Updates pane in System Preferences. So how do I get around that to be able to actually download a new installer?
I'm sorry, I do not understand the problem. When you click on "Get" it should take you to the Updates in System Preferences. Could you provide more information? What are you trying to get around? Any screen captures of the problem of what you are seeing?

adn rcd dly

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm sorry, I do not understand the problem. When you click on "Get" it should take you to the Updates in System Preferences. Could you provide more information? What are you trying to get around? Any screen captures of the problem of what you are seeing?
My apologies, here you are.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 19.40.43.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 19.40.43.png
    932.4 KB · Views: 367
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 19.40.56.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 19.40.56.png
    358.3 KB · Views: 340

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
My apologies, here you are.
Good information. I see you see the update is not available. When I click on it I see:
Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 18.33.59.jpg

I can choose "Download". Unfortunately that is all I have. I'm using macOS 10.14.6 on a 2015 MBP and that is the way it works for me. Maybe it could be a location issue or the servers are unavailable and trying a different time would work. Does your "current Macs" (mentioned in Post #9) support High Sierra or are they running Catalina?

ianfcampbell

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2020
Took me a long time to work this out but Prometeus's second solution on Nov 20, 2019 worked for me in the end and seems like the most elegant work round that uses the most recent files, if you want a clean install. Thanks Prometeus!

I've written some step-by-step instructions for the process which I hope are helpful for anyone that doesn't want to read through the whole context to Prometeus's version:

1) Download Sierra from the App Store using this link. This will take a while to download, it's a 5Gb file. It will download an application file to your Applications folder called "Install macOS Sierra". However, when the download completes you will get an error message saying it is damaged and can't be used, this is because the certificate has expired and so your computer thinks it is out of date. Only Apple know why they have left an expired product on their App Store.

2) Don't worry about it being expired, run the command on Terminal to create a bootable USB drive with it anyhow. Follow the instructions on Apple's website here under "Use the 'createinstallmedia' command in Terminal" to do this.

3) Rename the app file in your Applications folder from "Install macOS Sierra" to something else, such as "Install macOS Sierra - expired", you'll need admin password to do this. You shouldn't need it again and can delete it later, but keep it for now just in case.

4) Download the other, newer version of Sierra that Apple offer from their website under Step 4 here. This will take a while, it's a 5Gb file.

5) This version downloads as a disk image called InstallOS.dmg, not an app for some reason. So, when it is downloaded open it and then open the InstallOS.pkg file that is inside it. This will start an installer process, but don't worry, it is NOT going to install on the machine you're working on now. Just go through the process and at the end it will create another application file in your Applications folder called "Install macOS Sierra" and this version is NOT expired (if you check the file info you should see it's a more recent version than the one from the App Store). However, the command in it to make a bootable USB drive doesn't work (only Apple know why) so that's why you had to create the bootable USB with the expired version first.

6) Now, open the bootable USB drive you already created and delete the file "Install macOS Sierra" that's inside. Empty your trash too to make sure it's really gone. The USB drive will look like it's empty now, but all the special files it needs to be bootable are still there, they are just hidden.

7) Copy the new "Install macOS Sierra" file from your Applications folder to the USB drive (just copy and paste it, like any normal file). This will take a while, it's a 5Gb file.

8) Your bootable USB drive is now ready to use, eject it, put it in the target machine instead and follow the instructions under "Use the bootable installer" on Apple's website here to complete the process.

9) Once you've successfully installed Sierra on the target machine you can delete the files you downloaded before to the Applications folder on the other machine, but keep that bootable USB drive safe, you might need it again and you worked hard to create it.

10) Congratulate yourself on finding a way to use a version of OS that Apple apparently want to make obsolete, even though there's a lot of their hardware out there still that can't run anything newer. Shame on you Apple!

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Any update on this? The link in point one does not work any longer.

Took me a long time to work this out but Prometeus's second solution on Nov 20, 2019 worked for me in the end and seems like the most elegant work round that uses the most recent files, if you want a clean install. Thanks Prometeus!

I've written some step-by-step instructions for the process which I hope are helpful for anyone that doesn't want to read through the whole context to Prometeus's version:

1) Download Sierra from the App Store using this link. This will take a while to download, it's a 5Gb file. It will download an application file to your Applications folder called "Install macOS Sierra". However, when the download completes you will get an error message saying it is damaged and can't be used, this is because the certificate has expired and so your computer thinks it is out of date. Only Apple know why they have left an expired product on their App Store.

2) Don't worry about it being expired, run the command on Terminal to create a bootable USB drive with it anyhow. Follow the instructions on Apple's website here under "Use the 'createinstallmedia' command in Terminal" to do this.

3) Rename the app file in your Applications folder from "Install macOS Sierra" to something else, such as "Install macOS Sierra - expired", you'll need admin password to do this. You shouldn't need it again and can delete it later, but keep it for now just in case.

4) Download the other, newer version of Sierra that Apple offer from their website under Step 4 here. This will take a while, it's a 5Gb file.

5) This version downloads as a disk image called InstallOS.dmg, not an app for some reason. So, when it is downloaded open it and then open the InstallOS.pkg file that is inside it. This will start an installer process, but don't worry, it is NOT going to install on the machine you're working on now. Just go through the process and at the end it will create another application file in your Applications folder called "Install macOS Sierra" and this version is NOT expired (if you check the file info you should see it's a more recent version than the one from the App Store). However, the command in it to make a bootable USB drive doesn't work (only Apple know why) so that's why you had to create the bootable USB with the expired version first.

6) Now, open the bootable USB drive you already created and delete the file "Install macOS Sierra" that's inside. Empty your trash too to make sure it's really gone. The USB drive will look like it's empty now, but all the special files it needs to be bootable are still there, they are just hidden.

7) Copy the new "Install macOS Sierra" file from your Applications folder to the USB drive (just copy and paste it, like any normal file). This will take a while, it's a 5Gb file.

8) Your bootable USB drive is now ready to use, eject it, put it in the target machine instead and follow the instructions under "Use the bootable installer" on Apple's website here to complete the process.

9) Once you've successfully installed Sierra on the target machine you can delete the files you downloaded before to the Applications folder on the other machine, but keep that bootable USB drive safe, you might need it again and you worked hard to create it.

10) Congratulate yourself on finding a way to use a version of OS that Apple apparently want to make obsolete, even though there's a lot of their hardware out there still that can't run anything newer. Shame on you Apple!

ianfcampbell

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2020
Any update on this? The link in point one does not work any longer.
Hi Pullman, it still works for me, it should redirect and open your App Store app on your Mac and take you to the product page to download it, screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 10.14.57.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 10.14.57.png
    714.7 KB · Views: 319
Reactions: pullman

ianfcampbell

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2020
I used Google to search for "download macOS Sierra." This is the first result: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202
This page will allow you to download an installer with an updated certificate.
Hi chrfr, that's the same link as under step 4 on my post above and it doesn't look like the subsequent link on that page to download the installer has changed, so I suspect it's still the same expired file. I'm not on a good connection to download a 5Gb file and test it now though, did you try yourself?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi chrfr, that's the same link as under step 4 on my post above and it doesn't look like the subsequent link on that page to download the installer has changed, so I suspect it's still the same expired file. I'm not on a good connection to download a 5Gb file and test it now though, did you try yourself?
It isn't an expired installer.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well for me it doesn't work. I'm using Mojave on a Sierra-supported MBP.

In the end I just took the installer I had downloaded and applied the changes set out in this post. Then I could make a bootable installer.

Screenshot 2020-07-01 at 11.22.19.png

Hi Pullman, it still works for me, it should redirect and open your App Store app on your Mac and take you to the product page to download it, screenshot attached.

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I'm going to have a go at creating a bootable macOS Sierra USB thumb drive.

I've read through all of the above posts. Regarding ianfcampbell's post #16, the link in his point 2 goes to Apple website page "Use the 'createinstallmedia' in terminal ....however the information Apple gives does not have the command for Sierra. Apple only lists commands for Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra and El Capital.

Where can I find the command for Sierra?

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Have a look here. That info worked for me. There's a footnote on the Apple page that for Sierra and earlier one needs to include the -applicationpath argument so you should be able to use the El Cap command as adjusted.

I'm going to have a go at creating a bootable macOS Sierra USB thumb drive.

I've read through all of the above posts. Regarding ianfcampbell's post #16, the link in his point 2 goes to Apple website page "Use the 'createinstallmedia' in terminal ....however the information Apple gives does not have the command for Sierra. Apple only lists commands for Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra and El Capital.

Where can I find the command for Sierra?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.