Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Galaxas0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
For macOS 10.12 "undocumented" features & changes:
Undocumented items only!
Preferable with images to support your 'tidbit'.
Because this is a wiki post, you're encouraged to add any new features to the list!
  • New space management utility
  • Disk Utility can be resized and Raid creation is back
  • You now have an option to keep folder on top when sorting by name in Finder.
  • 'Window Tabs' includes at least the following apps:
    • Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Mail, Maps, TextEdit ...
  • '+' Add Tab in Safari with a long press (maybe force press too?) shows recently closed browser tabs.
  • Safari maintains website zoom level between visits
  • Redesigned Console
  • FaceTime & QuickTime always on top option
  • Siri lowers the computer fan speed when activated to reduce microphone interference (tested on rMBP) (it's been the same for Dictation for a long time)
  • Installation wizard asks if you want to delete program package after installation
  • Option to install apps from “Anywhere” has been hidden from System Preferences (can be shown again by executing this Terminal command: sudo spctl --master-disable)
  • Notes now uses the San Francisco font instead of Helvetica
  • If Mail is in full-screen, clicking a link will open Safari in split-screen mode instead of switching away to a different Space, if a Safari window is not already open.
  • Password bullets are bigger
Old documents that will be backed up to iCloud:
O3sASKl.png

Old documents that will be deleted:
6a5rSx6.png

NOTE: As always this is NOT a thread for bugs, questions or troubleshooting the betas. All posts must present a new feature or function, or new behaviour not mentioned in the keynote. Please screenshot where necessary. Comments on features are welcome, but stay on topic. This is also not a thread for whining about missing features, complaining, in-fighting or personal agendas. Keep this informative and to the topic at hand.

Please use the macOS 10.12 Sierra: Post bugs and fixes here thread for discussing any problems with the new OS.

Last edited:

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Does anyone have a screenshot of that slide they show where all the new updates are listed together? They went so fast I barely got a chance to look at it...

Reactions: MetalCores

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Why is the App Store always so much slower than direct downloads? I started iOS download later.

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 21.48.11.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 21.48.58.png

And the OTA download is almost finished too, less than a minute...

Edit: Both iOS downloads are finished and App Store still says more than 4 hours left with just about 500 KB/s.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
FYI
"A Developer Preview of Apple File System is included in OS X 10.12. The APFS on-disk volume format is pre-release and subject to change. Apple plans to document and publish the APFS volume format when Apple File System is released in 2017."

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
FYI
"A Developer Preview of Apple File System is included in OS X 10.12. The APFS on-disk volume format is pre-release and subject to change. Apple plans to document and publish the APFS volume format when Apple File System is released in 2017."
So that basically means that they are pulling APFS in the release build of Sierra. They probably want to use this year's pre-release as well as next year's to iron out all the issues.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
How does optimized storage work? How do iCloud-only files look like locally? Any selective sync/always keep local/always keep offline options? Very curious about it and would love to see screenshots of all the menus and options.

Reactions: jgelin

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Interesting...I had posted here asking if anyone had a screenshot of that slide they show listing all of the unmentioned changes and additions, since I thought I'd missed it, but I just went back and there was no slide like that. There was for iOS, I believe. Guess this either means there aren't any unlisted features or there are many that are still in flux at this point...we will see!

colonel179

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2014
Thanks for this thread! I can't wait to see all the stuff that's new about MacOS Sierra. I usually take part in betas, but this time I will skip it. It's great that this thread let people outside of it to learn more about new features and tidbits.

Hanterdro

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
Most important Question:

Can I disable that my whole computer/desktop/homedir is synced in the Cloud? I just wan't one Cloud folder where I can put the files I want in the cloud explicit (status quo).

I think this is a no brainer that Apple gives us that option, but some screenshots of that config options would be very nice :)

Reactions: Saturn1217

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Actually, it looks like that, but instead of devices supported, it's like, a list of "all the little things" they didn't cover at the event. No worries, I just rewatched the macOS portion and they definitely didn't list it. That will make this thread all the more interesting as people find new things!

What a coincidence. I, too was just looking for the "little features" slide in the Mac segment, rewatched it, and didn't see it. This thread will definitely be interesting.

Reactions: boston04and07

taimor

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
I'm the only one that click "Download" on the "10.12 Developer Preview" and nothing happens ? too many people are downloading ?

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
Could anyone check in library -> dictionaries if there are now Traditional Chinese dictionaries (chinese - english and chinese - chinese). Simplified Chinese were already there, but it seems they added traditional to iOS 10, so I wonder if it's in sierra too. Thanks loads.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
is mac os sierra really called 10.12 or did they go right too mac os mac os sierra 11? would be nic if some one can post the verion # of the OS and see if it 10.12 or 11

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.