Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

xflashx

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2016
Did anyone notice that in mission control you can't swipe up a selected window so it becomes active? I used it all the time, hopefully it it just a stupid bug. Also reported it to Apple.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Apple finally updated the icon for system software updates in the App Store. But not to the one you'd expect...
System Software Update.png

Yes, a throwback to OS X Mountain Lion.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I don't know if this has been mentioned before: Find puts folders on top when you arrange by kind, rather than documents (D is before F). Finally! It has irritated me for ages. Every file system puts folder on top: windows, unix, linux, Dropbox, apps on iOS. Only finder has insisted on arranging alphabetically.

Reactions: hourglass111

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Umm....there's a setting for that now (previously it was just the default behaviour...or was it just on my mac?) ;)
View attachment 661059
I'm not sure if that setting was there before. But now I can see it still doesn't work quite. If you sort files by date (which I prefer), it does not keep folders on top. Only for name sort. Again, every other file systems always keeps folders on top.

But where it does keep folders on top now is if you arrange by kind. In 10.11 it would keep Documents before Folders. Now it keeps folders on top.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I'm not sure if that setting was there before. But now I can see it still doesn't work quite. If you sort files by date (which I prefer), it does not keep folders on top. Only for name sort. Again, every other file systems always keeps folders on top.

But where it does keep folders on top now is if you arrange by kind. In 10.11 it would keep Documents before Folders. Now it keeps folders on top.
The setting wasn't there in El Cap or Snow Leopard (just had the pleasure of playing with both of them over the last day).

Yep, you're right....they still modified the prior behaviour (wonder what version that was introduced in, that they're now changing it?)

I don't think either vanilla installs of those two predecessors displayed the appropriate sorting.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Did anyone notice that in mission control you can't swipe up a selected window so it becomes active? I used it all the time, hopefully it it just a stupid bug. Also reported it to Apple.
You can swipe down over the window to select it.

Guy.1

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
So I had Siri "listen" to a song that was playing on the radio earlier today and unfortunately can't remember the name of the band even though she identified it successfully. Is there a way to verify which songs Siri listed for you? (on Sierra)
On iOS that 'feature' exists but can't seem to find a similar thing on my mac... (http://osxdaily.com/2015/01/20/view-songs-siri-identified-ios/)

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
So I had Siri "listen" to a song that was playing on the radio earlier today and unfortunately can't remember the name of the band even though she identified it successfully. Is there a way to verify which songs Siri listed for you? (on Sierra)
On iOS that 'feature' exists but can't seem to find a similar thing on my mac... (http://osxdaily.com/2015/01/20/view-songs-siri-identified-ios/)
It's there....you say "Identify this song" or "Identify the song" and Siri will listen.

Guy.1

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
It's there....you say "Identify this song" or "Identify the song" and Siri will listen.
I know and siri does that well, the question is: is there a way to figure out which songs she identified for you. All the hits she found, are they listed somewhere? (ie: in itunes as it is on iOS)

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
You can edit and even add the location from the Info-window.

The above is from 20 pages ago; just found it via search. Can anyone confirm that adding and editing a photo's location is a new feature in Sierra's version of Photos? (I still haven't migrated over from iPhoto since I liked this feature — and the Map feature which also disappeared in Photos — a lot.) Thanks very much.

DaPizzaMan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2016
The above is from 20 pages ago; just found it via search. Can anyone confirm that adding and editing a photo's location is a new feature in Sierra's version of Photos? (I still haven't migrated over from iPhoto since I liked this feature — and the Map feature which also disappeared in Photos — a lot.) Thanks very much.
Yes, you can add/edit the location of a photo in the Photos app. Just right click -> Get Info, and enter the location in the correct input box. :)

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
OT: Any chance Apple posts full Keynote video?

There are several ways to get it. Personally I like to download the podcast in itunes. But you can also watch it directly in apple tv without downloading the podcast first. It's also on youtube, eg.,

Hellsurfer

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
do any of you guys know how to use the macbook display as a screen, i want to know if you can use on of the ports HDMI, Display Port or USB-C for input and have it shown on the screen
Some app or some hub/app combo???

JimInWP

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2016
White Plains NY
Has anyone noticed an occasional lightening bolt across the sky when you enter your password and press enter. It doesn't happen all the time. Is it really happening or is my graphics card, or eyesight for that matter failing?

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
This window seems new for the latest version of Sierra. It pops up when you click a link that opens an app. It has an iOS style. I wonder if it's a sign of the future look of windows in macOS?

GbJqUR1.png

Reactions: MrUNIMOG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.