Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
This window seems new for the latest version of Sierra. It pops up when you click a link that opens an app. It has an iOS style. I wonder if it's a sign of the future look of windows in macOS?

GbJqUR1.png

I think you are right. I imagine this is the future with Mac OS getting the iOS treatment.
I'm thinking it would be much easier for people to get scammed with fake dialogue windows like this.

Reactions: Aquamite

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
I think you are right. I imagine this is the future with Mac OS getting the iOS treatment.
I'm thinking it would be much easier for people to get scammed with fake dialogue windows like this.

I would be fine with it so long as it is legible.

The Yosemite redesign always felt a bit lazy compared to iOS 7. It's like they didn't want to alienate too many cranky forum users so they kept most all the windows and buttons the same other than the color/depth. I don't like the clunky semi-depthy gray windows that still stick around. They should be white and flat like iOS.
[doublepost=1482568513][/doublepost]
Not new, have been here since one of the El Capitan betas

IIRC, this began with El Cap.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I find this hard to believe. I just saw it for the first time a few days ago, and never saw it before. I definitely have prompted that dialog box hundreds of times since getting El Capitan. Maybe my install was weird because I didn't do a fresh install? Idk.

Reactions: hourglass111

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I find this hard to believe. I just saw it for the first time a few days ago, and never saw it before. I definitely have prompted that dialog box hundreds of times since getting El Capitan.

My memory may also be off, but I don't recall seeing that new design until Sierra.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
This window seems new for the latest version of Sierra. It pops up when you click a link that opens an app. It has an iOS style. I wonder if it's a sign of the future look of windows in macOS?

GbJqUR1.png
In the latest betas this window began to pop up way more often, like EVERY time I click a Magnet link to open a torrent, it asks if I want to allow it to open Transmission. Has anyone discovered a way to turn this off?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
In the latest betas this window began to pop up way more often, like EVERY time I click a Magnet link to open a torrent, it asks if I want to allow it to open Transmission. Has anyone discovered a way to turn this off?
Looks like you can either edit your com.apple.launchServices.plist file (per: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/safari-how-to-set-default-program-for-magnet-link.840224/) or, you can grab the RCDefaultApp here: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14618/rcdefaultapp

(latter option gives you a nice preferences pane to change the values - tested it and it still works under Sierra - at least for that value).

Reactions: ErikGrim

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Looks like you can either edit your com.apple.launchServices.plist file (per: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/safari-how-to-set-default-program-for-magnet-link.840224/) or, you can grab the RCDefaultApp here: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14618/rcdefaultapp

(latter option gives you a nice preferences pane to change the values - tested it and it still works under Sierra - at least for that value).
Now this is the MR forums that I've come to know and love.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Actually, contrary to my previous issue with Launchpad, it looks like u just use Finder to remove third party apps, and only apps from the Mac App store can be deleted via Launchpad...

...... I do like using Mac's but everything time these things ce up which now hinders that from a previous OS,,,,, i get closer to closer to switching...

Perhaps one of these days I *actually*will

Mail displaying /rending body is slow...... That could just be the machine, but i would guess its Sierra.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
re-arrangment of icons after a copy from folder to folder is doing my head in... the result ends up afterwards looks more like a "list" of files and folders in "icon view" window..

I've tried "Use as defaults" under Show View Options, and doesn't help... This is ok when viewing only, but does nothing when copying.

Do u have to go folder by folder ?

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
re-arrangment of icons after a copy from folder to folder is doing my head in... the result ends up afterwards looks more like a "list" of files and folders in "icon view" window..

I've tried "Use as defaults" under Show View Options, and doesn't help... This is ok when viewing only, but does nothing when copying.

Do u have to go folder by folder ?

I have had that issue since at least snow leopard.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Though I make 'software update' from app store everyday,
today I discovered that I have stuck to 10.12.2!!!
I never saw the option of 10.12.3 in app store, and I am not sure if even 10.12.4 is officially out!

Why this happens?
Does it have to do with my model?
Mbp 15' late '13?
Not all models receive all os updates?
I accidentally discovered the new mac os updates, and I was shocked to find out that I missed them, though I am doing updates every single day.

What do you believe that happens?
I am downloading dmg of 10.12.3 now, but I really want to know if there is any anomaly in siera itself or my machine.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I just updated to 10.12.3 with combo update, with success.
Now I hit once again 'software update', and I see nothing new, though 10.12.4 is out there.

Why my software update does not work?
Am I the only one with this problem?

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
I just updated to 10.12.3 with combo update, with success.
Now I hit once again 'software update', and I see nothing new, though 10.12.4 is out there.

Why my software update does not work?
Am I the only one with this problem?

Have you tried deleting com.apple.appstore.plist and com.apple.appstoreagent.plist in ~/Library/Preferences?

Applestock

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
San Diego Area
So essentially it's Apple's bowderlized version of ZFS.

ZFS is now making its appearance in various Linuxes and is an obvious next step.

But....unlike Apple, the real ZFS does not COMPEL one to use the Cloud.

The use of the Cloud, de facto, for organizations is a strategically bad choice, unwise.

Convenience for the sake of expediency always comes with a price.

Anyone tried PC-BSD 10.3 (comes with full ZFS) ?

How does it compel you to use the cloud?
[doublepost=1497308065][/doublepost]You're confusing Bluetooth 5.0 standard with 5.0 software version

Holy crap! It hasn't even been announced yet either, and I thought 5.0 would require new hardware... What a relief!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
So essentially it's Apple's bowderlized version of ZFS.

ZFS is now making its appearance in various Linuxes and is an obvious next step.

But....unlike Apple, the real ZFS does not COMPEL one to use the Cloud.

The use of the Cloud, de facto, for organizations is a strategically bad choice, unwise.

Convenience for the sake of expediency always comes with a price.

Anyone tried PC-BSD 10.3 (comes with full ZFS) ?

The whole reason ZFS isn't in macOS is because Sun (the company that originally created ZFS, which was then bought out by Oracle) pissed off Steve Jobs.

So yep, essentially Steve Jobs' ego is the reason we don't have that awesome advanced filesystem in macOS.

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/...e-file-system-that-almost-was-until-it-wasnt/

A sad chapter in Apple's history, really. ZFS is amazing.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
I’ve found an odd behaviour. If you are using APFS for the system drive then it alters the size of a file it will allow to transfer to a FAT32 drive.

I tried to copy a movie file over that was 2.75gb in size and HS told me it was too big for the FAT32 drive.

Same file to the same FAT32 drive on my other MacBook Pro on Sierra and it went across no problem.

Reactions: kiwipeso1

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I’ve found an odd behaviour. If you are using APFS for the system drive then it alters the size of a file it will allow to transfer to a FAT32 drive.

I tried to copy a movie file over that was 2.75gb in size and HS told me it was too big for the FAT32 drive.

Same file to the same FAT32 drive on my other MacBook Pro on Sierra and it went across no problem.

That is technically in compliance with FAT32, which was previously not checked for file size.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.