Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Can I download 10.12.5 without any issues or should I wait a bit? I am currently on 10.12.3 so it has been over a month.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The whole reason ZFS isn't in macOS is because Sun (the company that originally created ZFS, which was then bought out by Oracle) pissed off Steve Jobs.

So yep, essentially Steve Jobs' ego is the reason we don't have that awesome advanced filesystem in macOS.

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/...e-file-system-that-almost-was-until-it-wasnt/

Your claim doesn’t follow from the source. The article provides some speculation, only parts of which relate to Jobs. A whole bunch changed when Oracle bought Sun and none outside of Apple even knew what Apple was planning with ZFS.

I am happy that it didn’t go through if APFS was the result of this. To me, APFS is the more exiting project and the fact that Apple tailored it for their own platforms’ needs instead of retrofitting ZFS was the better decision.

Autistic Behaviour

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
montreal
Small detail...on El Cap and Sierra, Logic pro x seemed to force use discreet gpu on my 15" rmbp, heating it considerably (for nothing, it seemed to me). At least in this beta, it doesn't in High Sierra

Edit: mmm...they seem to have added that in a point update to sierra that I didn'T realise

Last edited:
Reactions: Aquamite

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Can anyone point me to a solution to safely disconnect map shares connections over SMB ? When i "Eject" connected drive from desktop, every time, the icon goes "dimmed" as if its suck, and never disappears.... I must always 'Force quit" finder,, however i can then eject using the eject button in the sidebar I can "force eject" in the popup window..

Nothing is affected, because all applications and resources have been closed down.... I have looked at Activity Monitor but no obvious sign as what's going on nor in Console.. however i do see a BUG in lipspatch which Apple usually points to many other things, so i'm not surprised of this error in Console

This force eject only happens when connecting over SMB only. and not specific to share, nor application.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Can anyone point me to a solution to safely disconnect map shares connections over SMB ? When i "Eject" connected drive from desktop, every time, the icon goes "dimmed" as if its suck, and never disappears.... I must always 'Force quit" finder,, however i can then eject using the eject button in the sidebar I can "force eject" in the popup window..

Nothing is affected, because all applications and resources have been closed down.... I have looked at Activity Monitor but no obvious sign as what's going on nor in Console.. however i do see a BUG in lipspatch which Apple usually points to many other things, so i'm not surprised of this error in Console

This force eject only happens when connecting over SMB only. and not specific to share, nor application.

It's best to select eject from right click from my experience. However I think you are right about different ways of eject taking different time to happen. It also seems to depend on how many windows.
I have found some improvement by using memory clean 2 to clear up low ram situations, but it could just be the finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.