Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Thanks for the info dosdude1.

And how does it look in general? it is possible to function the WiFi with Macmini 3.1 early 2009. macOS Sierra? has parrotkeek1 as further research and what are the results Annotation, or you have yet installed another combo card, Bluetooth and Wifi if that is at all technically possible.
Thank you for information about the current state of affairs

+1

I'm running High Sierra on Mac mini Late 2009 and all I am missing is WiFi. I would love to have it working if possible.

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 10.20.13 PM.png

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Reactions: TimothyR734
What’s performance like? No Wi-Fi could be a deal breaker otherwise.
Actually not really. The mini is running like hell, the 8 GB of RAM and 250 GB SSD are more than enough to run High Sierra smoothly.
Also, a router is right next to the mini, so having a LAN cable connection worked out just fine. I was just wondering, from an enthusiast point of view that this is something that can be researched and fixed.

Maybe try posting your question in the proper forum for "High Sierra" issues would get you a quicker response.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-high-sierra-10-13-unsupported-macs-thread.2048478/
Thank you!

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Just installed the latest round of system updates from the App Store, (Sec update 2018-004, itunes and safari) on my MacPro 3,1 running Sierra,
everything appeared to go normally and the system is up and running just fine.
Plus Nvidia found a new web driver right away which was unexpected but welcome just the same, (usually have to wait a few days)
Sweet!!!
edit: just noticed that somewhere during this update my custom Finder Toolbar settings were reset back to the defaults. Not a big deal, just never had it happen before.

Last edited:

mvernail

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2018
I installed the latest beta version mojave 10.14 Beta (18A347e) on my Macbook pro early 2011 and the sound stopped working (on previous beta this was still working). I did ran the post installation app to install all required latest patches.
No audio output devices show op in audio settings (see attached schreenshot). Any advice on how to solve?
Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 11.39.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 11.41.23 AM.png

eexodus

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2018
Does anyone have this working on an Xserve 3,1 2009 with an Apple first-party SSD? When the installer starts I immediately get the error "Unable to unmount volume for repair" and the only option is to Restart. You can't unmount the SSD JHFS+ partition in Disk Utility because it says its in use, but you can force it to unmount via CLI. However once unmounted via CLI the installer then doesn't let you select the SSD as the install destination because it thinks there isn't enough space.

I figure this might be related to APFS so I did try converting the disk to APFS before installation but the patched bootable USB doesn't have the diskutil apfs create command. I'm guessing this isn't a working command until after installation.

I could possibly nuke the disk with a clean JHFS+ partition but I'd rather not do that since this Xserve is still in use and a large amount of downtime isn't an option. If it doesn't let me format the SSD it would become even a bigger issue. I was hoping to do a straight upgrade not wipe and reinstall.

The patcher works great with hard drives, but it seems like my first-party Apple SSD is causing it to fail?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Does anyone have this working on an Xserve 3,1 2009 with an Apple first-party SSD? When the installer starts I immediately get the error "Unable to unmount volume for repair" and the only option is to Restart. You can't unmount the SSD JHFS+ partition in Disk Utility because it says its in use, but you can force it to unmount via CLI. However once unmounted via CLI the installer then doesn't let you select the SSD as the install destination because it thinks there isn't enough space.

I figure this might be related to APFS so I did try converting the disk to APFS before installation but the patched bootable USB doesn't have the diskutil apfs create command. I'm guessing this isn't a working command until after installation.

I could possibly nuke the disk with a clean JHFS+ partition but I'd rather not do that since this Xserve is still in use and a large amount of downtime isn't an option. If it doesn't let me format the SSD it would become even a bigger issue. I was hoping to do a straight upgrade not wipe and reinstall.

The patcher works great with hard drives, but it seems like my first-party Apple SSD is causing it to fail?
if you are using macOS Sierra APFS was not implemented it was just a preview to full take advantage of APFS you would have upgrade to macOS High Sierra but that mean you would have erase your ssd and format it to APFS for HFS is the better option I tried APFS by looking for ways online to covert followed the instructions to the T but it still wiped my hdd
[doublepost=1534312838][/doublepost]
I installed the latest beta version mojave 10.14 Beta (18A347e) on my Macbook pro early 2011 and the sound stopped working (on previous beta this was still working). I did ran the post installation app to install all required latest patches.
No audio output devices show op in audio settings (see attached schreenshot). Any advice on how to solve?
View attachment 774014 View attachment 774015
you might want to post this the MacOS Mojave for unsupported Macs
[doublepost=1534312914][/doublepost]
Does anyone know which exact WiFi car works in the 2009 Mac Mini? Thanks in advance!
you might try looking on eBay
[doublepost=1534313031][/doublepost]
MacBook Pro Mid 2010 updated to 10.13.6 but wifi is not available. Any other work around?
you might check out macOS High Sierra for unsupported Macs

Kovacs96

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2018
macOS Sierra on unsupported Macs
View attachment 637083
Introduction

For the first time since OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) in 2012, macOS Sierra (10.12) has changed the official minimum requirements needed for installation, leaving many older (but still perfectly capable) Macs behind.

• MacBook (late 2009 or later)
  • iMac (late 2009 or later)
  • MacBook Air (2010 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (2010 or later)
  • Mac mini (2010 or later)
  • Mac Pro (2010 or later)

This is a thread for people to discuss and offer solutions for newly unsupported Macs in macOS Sierra. This post will be updated with solutions as they become available.

macOS History

OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) was the first version of OS X with support for 64-bit kernels, allowing booting with either a 32-bit or 64-bit kernel. However, Apple did not support booting the 64-bit kernel in Macs that shipped with EFI32 firmware, even if they had 64-bit processors capable of running the 64-bit kernel. When Apple dropped the 32-bit kernel entirely in OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), EFI32 Macs no longer had an Apple-supported mechanism to boot newer versions of OS X.

OS X El Capitan (10.11) includes SIP (System Integrity Protection/Rootless). It makes sure that system files and their permissions are automatically protected, and also updated during Software Updates. The Repair Permissions function is no longer available and access to system files that need to be changed may require disabling it.

Known Issues:
  • macOS Sierra dropped support for Wi-Fi cards (BCM4321) used in most 2008 and some 2009 Macs. A hardware upgrade is required to get Wi-Fi functionality on those models.
  • iMac8,1 - Volume control for the Built-In Audio device may work improperly or not at all.
  • Macbook5,2 - The trackpad is not configurable, it is detected as a regular mouse instead.
Models Tested:

kb3QFjw.png

Older Legacy Macs not in this table (including the MacBook2,1, MacBook3,1 and iMac5,1) can install Mountain Lion (10.8), Mavericks (10.9), and Yosemite (10.10) with MacPostFactor or OS X Extractor (noted in the spoiler below), but are not supported by OS X El Capitan (10.11) or later.

MacPro1,1 and 2,1 can run OS X El Capitan with the methods noted in the spoiler below, but are currently not supported by macOS Sierra due to a lack of SSE 4 support (the CPU can be upgraded but its firmware does not support newer SSE 4-compatible CPUs).

Legacy Development Files:

Kexts:
Legacy USB Injector Kext
OS X Extractor - Beta USB Kexts.zip (depreciated)

PlatformSupport.plist / InstallableMachines.plist:
Download Zip

Known Patching Methods (the important bit):
Automatic tools that can be used to install macOS Sierra onto an unsupported Mac.

Using @dosdude1's Patcher Tool:
Main Page/Instructions: MacOS Sierra Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs
Download: [Direct Download]

Enabling Updates:
Sierra does not allow updating to minor versions (such as 10.12.1) without modification.

Using @foxlet's AUSEnabler:
Main Page: AUSEnabler - FurCode
Download: [Direct Download]

Using dylib injection to fake out system checks (@Czo patch). Download script and execute
Download: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5129cdb72d19a5eee68383c88082bd43
Download: http://dosdude1.com/sierra/swupatch.sh.zip
Source: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/96tg06ys1pyem8v/AAAw0Gc4nlxK2OmXn4zFG-H6a?dl=0

Other OS patching threads:

macOS Sierra (10.12)
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and macOS Sierra - Mr. Zarniwoop

OS X El Capitan (10.11)
OS X El Capitan on Unsupported Macs - TMRJIJ
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and El Capitan - Mr. Zarniwoop

OS X Yosemite (10.10)
OS X Yosemite on Unsupported Macs - TMRJIJ
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite - Mr. Zarniwoop

OS X Mavericks (10.9)
[Guide] Installing 10.9 Mavericks on older Macs. - HackerWayne
Mac Pro 2,1 and OS X Mavericks - 5050

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)
Success! Install 10.8 on old unsupported Mac - HackerWayne
[doublepost=1535393941][/doublepost]My MacBook Pro (Early 2009) Model Identifier is 5,2 according to your list looks like I should be OK. I just updated the hard drive to a 1TB drive (which makes it feel like a new machine!) and would love to upgrade to Sierra.

I'm a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to these things, anyone want to build my confidence on moving forward with this endeavor?

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Hi all. Just updated my 2007 20" iMac with a T9500 CPU and new Wi-Fi card and blank SSD.

Wanted to test it, so I booted off the Snow Leopard DVD and it said it couldn't be installed on this Mac. Anyone know why? It would've run on the stock configuration.

Jonathan50

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2017
Running Mac Pro 3,1 with Sierra 16G1510, nvidia kepler GT710 1GB with driver 378.05.05.25f10. Don't see the nvidia audio via hdmi out device in System Preferences / Sound, any idea why that may be?

jackoverfull

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
That was something I was looking for…Unfortunately I can't find a download link outside the App Store. It's been a while since MacUpdate has been of any use, nowadays it just install their proprietary spyware instead of giving you a legit download link.

thestenz

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
Rochester, NY
iMac 9,1 will not find bluetooth module. I have disabled SIP, replaced the Legacy USB, rebuilt the cache and even run the sudo kextcache in terminal after. The machine notified me of the hardware change once, but it was gone by the time I got into the Network pane. I also get a a String/URL error when I run the command line for the prelinked kernel. Any ideas?

Last edited:

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
That was something I was looking for…Unfortunately I can't find a download link outside the App Store. It's been a while since MacUpdate has been of any use, nowadays it just install their proprietary spyware instead of giving you a legit download link.
I've been using MacUpdate for years and I've never experienced any unwanted "proprietary spyware" installations.
I will admit the site has changed a lot over the years, not necessarily for the better and you have to be careful what you click on.
Very often I use MacUpDate to locate an application and then click on the link that leads to the authors website and download from there.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Just tried to do this with Mojave on my 2009 MBP 15", and it installed, and saw my wifi, but it will never connect at the setup. Not sure why. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.