Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jackoverfull

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Just checked on my High Sierra (also unsupported) machine and Safari 12 is not coming up there either.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm not getting it because I don't have a Mac that officially qualifies for Sierra/High Sierra.

frankalpha88

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
Hi, all.

Has anyone found a solution for the following problem that I am currently having.
Here is my story.

- Imac 9,1
- Updated to Sierra using Sierra Patcher from dosdude1.com
- All works find except the following: iTunes not no longer sees the connection to iPhone
- I know the USB cable is working as iPhoto app is working with a connected iPhone
- Trying to figure out how to connect iPhone with iTunes (latest version of iTunes)

Any solution for this issue is greatly appreciated.

Plus, the brightness is always set to minimum upon startup...any fix for that would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

TrixxY

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
Hi there... I'm not really new to Macs, since I own a late 2011 iMac 27"... unfortunately I have lost all my comuting knowledge as I didn't have to deal with it, due to the Mac ;)

Nevertheless, my boy, 9years old, needs a laptop for school, and so I thought it would be a good idea to buy the cheapest Mac Book Pro I could find and ended up with the Mac Book Pro 15" aluminium body Core 2 Duo/4GB RAM/X1600 A1211 (should be a MacBook Pro 2,2).

I'm trying to install Sierra on that machine with no success, I have dowloaded both files, patcher tool and Sierra, unpacked Sierra (twice?), formatted the USB stick (SanDisk 64GB USB3.0). Startet terminal, tried to disable SIP(is this activated on Lion?) without scuccess (command not known?). Run the patch tool and created the USB drive as described...Reboted and tried to boot from the USb stick (it shows up in the boot menu). First it looks like it starts booting from the stick, then just boots into Lion on the HDD.
So I had the crazy idea that I should format the HDD ;/... so I'm writung you from the boot menu Safari.

Can anyone guide me to my fault, did I miss a step?
Maybe it's just a little thing I oversaw?
Otherwise I'll have to reinstall Lion via wifi...

Thank you very much, best regards from black forest, south germany

mlmacml

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
hi! to install on macbook 2,1 where do i get the official sierra OS? It's not available in mac app store. i'm running SL right now,
macpostfactor doesn't support pirated copies, right?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
hi! to install on macbook 2,1 where do i get the official sierra OS? It's not available in mac app store. i'm running SL right now,
macpostfactor doesn't support pirated copies, right?
Try reading post #5192 of this thread, this download issue has been covered many times.

mohair

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
EGYPT
Hello, I am running Sierra on MacBook Air mid2009 and its working fine except the App Store which always asking for Apple ID and whenever I enter it it says your device can't be verified although my Apple ID is working fine with iTunes and iCloud Drive .
any help will be appreciated

aquitemcaqui

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
Brazil
Be aware that Security Update 2018-005 10.12.6 may bug your Sierra patch install on iMac 9,1.

You may loose screen control and/or USB.

It is necessary to reinstall all patches, force cache rebuild with the post install tool, and install the backlight control patch after logon.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: j2048b

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
Wondering if anyone with a 3,1 and an Apricorn Velocity Solo x1 PCIe card are unable to get the system to boot from the x1s SSD after patching up to Sierra from El Cap. I have the typical OS SSD and Data HDD setup, never had an issue before. Now if I remove all other bootable drives except the PCIe SSD, I get the circle with the slash through it icon and am forced to option boot.

Last edited:

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Anyone have a link to the dmg for the Sierra 10.12 installer? I can only find one from a dodgy source, and it's the app (not the dmg) so I can't do a checksum on it to check its validity.

I see lots of references to a MEGA link on this thread, but I can't find it. @dosdude1, do you have a copy available?

Todd Gack

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2019
Hello folks. I successfully loaded Sierra on my 2008 3,1 MacPro, reset pram and now getting SIP warning. I CANNOT disable SIP. If I try to boot into Recovery I get the universal DONT icon, and I can no longer boot into the Sierra USB installer — I get a progress bar and just stops once the progress bar reaches full. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
Hello folks. I successfully loaded Sierra on my 2008 3,1 MacPro, reset pram and now getting SIP warning. I CANNOT disable SIP. If I try to boot into Recovery I get the universal DONT icon, and I can no longer boot into the Sierra USB installer — I get a progress bar and just stops once the progress bar reaches full. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There should be an option to make Recovery partition bootable if you boot from the patcher tool.
[doublepost=1551970216][/doublepost]Hey, if I have a working patched version of 10.12 on a 3,1 and I want to move to a 5,1, can I just yank the hard drive out of the 3,1 and move it to the 5,1... re-running the patcher tool for 5,1? Will that work? What is the best way to move a patched system to a newer machine?

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Hey, if I have a working patched version of 10.12 on a 3,1 and I want to move to a 5,1, can I just yank the hard drive out of the 3,1 and move it to the 5,1... re-running the patcher tool for 5,1? Will that work? What is the best way to move a patched system to a newer machine?

You've probably taken some sort of action on this month-old question, but I'll chime in... I would not advise moving the patched Sierra disk directly over to your new classic Mac Pro 5,1. If you have another SATA hard disk laying around (who doesn't?) a better course of action would be to do a fresh install to that other disk, with the 3,1 disk also installed in a drive bay. Then near the end of the install process the installer will ask if you want to migrate data, say yes, and point it toward the old 3,1 disk.

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
You've probably taken some sort of action on this month-old question, but I'll chime in... I would not advise moving the patched Sierra disk directly over to your new classic Mac Pro 5,1. If you have another SATA hard disk laying around (who doesn't?) a better course of action would be to do a fresh install to that other disk, with the 3,1 disk also installed in a drive bay. Then near the end of the install process the installer will ask if you want to migrate data, say yes, and point it toward the old 3,1 disk.

I've never had much success with the migrate data function. In fact, i've always just cloned drives in the past. Is there another way to deal with this? Perhaps there could be a remove patch checkbox in dosdudes boot disk program although that may be more complicated than I am aware. I haven't actually addressed this yet. Just thought you could rerun that patch software on the 5,1 and repatch the system for 5,1. What if I brought the patched OS over, but then upgraded to a newer OS would that overwrite all the patches?

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Yeah, I hear you on the data migration. I've found that it seems to be more successful when done as part of the install process rather than after the fact (when you run Migration Assistant). The most knowledgeable person on this issue is of course dosdude, perhaps he'll notice this conversation and chime in! That being said, your idea of overwriting the install in-place is probably a good one; this is accepted practice for problems that seem to have no other solution. You don't even have to upgrade, just re-install Sierra on top of the patched Sierra. In fact, I would probably recommend that (reinstall Sierra) before doing an upgrade, if upgrade is your eventual plan.

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
Yeah, I hear you on the data migration. I've found that it seems to be more successful when done as part of the install process rather than after the fact (when you run Migration Assistant). The most knowledgeable person on this issue is of course dosdude, perhaps he'll notice this conversation and chime in! That being said, your idea of overwriting the install in-place is probably a good one; this is accepted practice for problems that seem to have no other solution. You don't even have to upgrade, just re-install Sierra on top of the patched Sierra. In fact, I would probably recommend that (reinstall Sierra) before doing an upgrade, if upgrade is your eventual plan.
Yea, overwriting the OS seems like the best option. Maybe dosdude will incorporate a remove patch feature in the future.

carter71

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2019
Sheffield, England
[doublepost=1519454652][/doublepost]Could be the USB you are using try another and make sure you format it correctly. Plug the USB stick in, open Disk Utility, select the Disk not the Volume in the sidebar click on Erase, choose a name for the Disk, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the Format and then select GUID Partition Map for Scheme, click erase. Now follow the instructions here,
http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

Interesting I'm encountering the exact same issue. Tried a total of three USB sticks, format and so forth is OK. But they all fail identically in this fashion. Any thoughts?

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
So, has anyone taken the plunge and installed the Security Update 2019-003 released yesterday onto an unsupported Mac running Sierra? The changes listed for Mojave appear pretty extensive security-wise, which worries me; not sure how far down into Sierra those changes go, and whether they will break my currently functioning install...

Reactions: Kevbasscat

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
So, has anyone taken the plunge and installed the Security Update 2019-003 released yesterday onto an unsupported Mac running Sierra? The changes listed for Mojave appear pretty extensive security-wise, which worries me; not sure how far down into Sierra those changes go, and whether they will break my currently functioning install...

I stayed on 10.12 for a long time on a 5,2 because it just worked. I went to 10.13 with .6 and the the dos due patch it was awesome. Have you thought about going to HS?

Reactions: whichweather

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I stayed on 10.12 for a long time on a 5,2 because it just worked. I went to 10.13 with .6 and the the dos due patch it was awesome. Have you thought about going to HS?
Yes, I actually tried High Sierra on this late 2009 iMac. What I found was that I could do the install perfectly well, and it ran perfectly fine, but it couldn't handle subsequent security updates. It appeared that in High Sierra the security updates also messed with the Recovery Partition, and the update would fail. Whereas, so far, I've gone through a couple security updates on Sierra without an incident. Eventually I'll probably have to move up to High Sierra on that iMac, and just accept that every security update will be in the form of a complete re-install of the OS, assuming that Apple rolls the security updates into the installer eventually.

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220

I don't know, but this article about a vulnerability in all Intel chips back to 2011, is addressed in all Apple updates for all Macs back to 2011.

New 'ZombieLoad' Vulnerability Affects Intel Chips Dating Back to 2011, Apple Released Patch in macOS 10.14.5 [Updated]

whichweather

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Yes, I actually tried High Sierra on this late 2009 iMac. What I found was that I could do the install perfectly well, and it ran perfectly fine, but it couldn't handle subsequent security updates. It appeared that in High Sierra the security updates also messed with the Recovery Partition, and the update would fail. Whereas, so far, I've gone through a couple security updates on Sierra without an incident. Eventually I'll probably have to move up to High Sierra on that iMac, and just accept that every security update will be in the form of a complete re-install of the OS, assuming that Apple rolls the security updates into the installer eventually.

What you need to after a security update/software update is boot from the USB from which you installed the OS and perform the 'Post Install' patch. Yeah, it is a bit annoying but that's all there is and you get the latest and greatest thanks to @dosdude1 :)

Reactions: trifero

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Interesting I'm encountering the exact same issue. Tried a total of three USB sticks, format and so forth is OK. But they all fail identically in this fashion. Any thoughts?

Are they a recognised brand and at least 8GBs.

What error is being reported.

Lubidubi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
I moved my SSD from an unsupported to a supported Sierra Mac.
Is there a way to get rid of all the patcher files?
Did not find any infos about that on dos1dues's page

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.