Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

StrangeLoopy

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2016
I moved my SSD from an unsupported to a supported Sierra Mac.
Is there a way to get rid of all the patcher files?
Did not find any infos about that on dos1dues's page

Hi, I had asked what I think is the same question after I migrated my SSD contents to a new machine.

(my question:)

With deep thanks to dosdude1 and others, I was able to keep my early-2008 MacBook Pro running through High Sierra. I decided that 10 years was enough, and jumped ship to a new MBP, migrating successfully using the Time Machine from the old unit.

All is well, except I occasionally get Patch Updater popping up to say that "New patch updates are available for this model. (Night Shift Patch)", which I clearly don't need anymore. How do I stop this? Is there a way to remove Night Shift Patch so it isn't checked? Or can I just uninstall/delete Patch Updater from Applications/Utilities? (it's only for the "unsupported Macs" feature, right?)

Thanks for any help you can offer!

(answer:)

Yep remove the Patch Updater app from Applications/ Utilities, and also remove the com.dosdude1.Patchupdater.plist from /Library/LaunchAgents. Restart your Mac and see if you keep getting prompted.

Here is a link to the answer (I hope this is helpful):
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ed-macs-thread.2121473/page-486#post-27103953

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
You're probably going to have to do a clean install and migrate during the install. That's what I would do and have . . .

Lubidubi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
Hi, I had asked what I think is the same question after I migrated my SSD contents to a new machine.

(my question:)

With deep thanks to dosdude1 and others, I was able to keep my early-2008 MacBook Pro running through High Sierra. I decided that 10 years was enough, and jumped ship to a new MBP, migrating successfully using the Time Machine from the old unit.

All is well, except I occasionally get Patch Updater popping up to say that "New patch updates are available for this model. (Night Shift Patch)", which I clearly don't need anymore. How do I stop this? Is there a way to remove Night Shift Patch so it isn't checked? Or can I just uninstall/delete Patch Updater from Applications/Utilities? (it's only for the "unsupported Macs" feature, right?)

Thanks for any help you can offer!

(answer:)

Yep remove the Patch Updater app from Applications/ Utilities, and also remove the com.dosdude1.Patchupdater.plist from /Library/LaunchAgents. Restart your Mac and see if you keep getting prompted.

Here is a link to the answer (I hope this is helpful):
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ed-macs-thread.2121473/page-486#post-27103953

Thanks!

the macbook pro boot's without a problem but got a message that SIP is enabled. Might be from the agent which is running.
Found a script somewhere in here from dos1dude. It's for the high sierra patcher but I could use it anyway. Just deleted the sierra patcher manually in utilties folder.
After rebooting there was no SIP message anymore. :)

#!/bin/sh
sudo rm -R /Library/Extensions/SIPManager.kext
sudo rm -R /Library/Extensions/LegacyUSBInjector.kext
sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.dosdude1.PatchUpdater.plist
sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.dd1.SIPLD.plist
sudo rm /usr/local/sbin/SIPLD
sudo rm -R "/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app"
sudo rm -R "/Library/Application Support/High Sierra Patcher"
sudo kextcache -system-caches
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
echo "\n\nAll High Sierra Patcher components have been removed. Please reboot your machine.\n\n"

Thanks a lot to dos1dude! It greatly extended the life of my MBP 15 2009. I had to move on to a faster machine.
But I'm going to install High Sierra and give it someone who can use it for a couple years, it's still in great condition after 10 years! Even the battery :)

Last edited:
Reactions: whichweather

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
Anyone have an issue with Spotlight crashing on MP 3,1 (10.12.6) to do with GeForceMTLDriverWeb.bundle?

lilhaloshaka

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2019
hi guys, sorry if this has been asked already. i'm just really stumped.
i'm on an early 2008 Mac Pro [ 3,1 ] trying to install High Sierra.

I'm stuck here:
Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 3.51.13 PM.png

i've tried different USB sticks / internal drives and i'm formatting it journaled + GUID
i also downloaded different versions of the patcher and High Sierra.

still nothing. can someone please help me figure this out ?

timmillea

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
Yorkshire, UK
"No packages were eligible for instal" - with date correct!! [P.S. SOLVED]

I was trying to install High Sierra on a MP 3,1 (using DOSDude's latest HS Patcher and new HS download) and consistently obtained this odd error around 5% of the way into the install bar. I searched and only found the explanation for setting the correct date - usually because the system battery had failed or been removed and the date had defaulted to 'factory zero'. The date and time were correct in Terminal and could find no other information for this error anywhere on the web.

My hunch was it was still a date-related error so I put the date back by two years (yes October 2017) and the problem was solved.

I infer that the High Sierra installer has a built-in obsolescence. Anyway after installation, I set the date correctly and all is fine. I thought I would share my experience as I am sure I won't be the last to be initially stumped by this.

MikB

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013

I was trying to install High Sierra on a MP 3,1 (using DOSDude's latest HS Patcher and new HS download) and consistently obtained this odd error around 5% of the way into the install bar. I searched and only found the explanation for setting the correct date - usually because the system battery had failed or been removed and the date had defaulted to 'factory zero'. The date and time were correct in Terminal and could find no other information for this error anywhere on the web.

My hunch was it was still a date-related error so I put the date back by two years (yes October 2017) and the problem was solved.

I infer that the High Sierra installer has a built-in obsolescence. Anyway after installation, I set the date correctly and all is fine. I thought I would share my experience as I am sure I won't be the last to be initially stumped by this.
This is likely, if this was after the 24th of October, simply because the macOS installer certificates have expired. You need to re-download the installer from Apple, via dosdude (which I beieve gets the newer version now) or with some other tool. See The Apple Packagepocalypse, 2019 Edition… (Medium).

I must express my gratitude of the excellent overview you get from the SUS Inspector.

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009

Odd. Installed in my Mac Pro 3.1 without any problem

MikB

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
This is quite normal and has been for many years even on supported macs. Setting back the clock is indeed the right solution.
Downloading the new installer (yeah, for the old OS) is the right solution. What you're supporting is band aid for any later comment.

jackoverfull

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
What I "support" was of course the only solution when I first encountered the error, installing from a physical DVD many years ago.

It may be "band aid", but it works and it's definitely much better for those of us with a slow or limited internet connection.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
After cloning my main OS from my 3,1, by accident I discovered that my Macbook Pro 7,1 runs Sierra natively. I cloned it with no problem a while ago and since I am so use to "Patch Installs", I didn't notice . . . ALthough Sierra is the last OS it will "natively" run, I was able to make a new Installer Thumb Drive with 10.12.6 and it boots right up on my Mac Pro 3,1. So I was able to Disable SIP and while I was there ran a "Refresh Overinstall". Things are really nice now. I don't now why I didn't realize that about my MBP 7,1 before . . . Oh and for the first, for me, time running the "Recovery" patch has work. I can boot off the Recovery Partition now. That's nice also.

Bobcov1

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2019
I really don't know exactly how to search to see if this information is already here.
In order to proceed with the Dosdude Sierra patch on iMac, I had to go into Terminal after booting the installer and set the date to 2017. Before I did that, my install would abort with an error message along the lines of no eligible packages found.

Reactions: TimothyR734

jackoverfull

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
I really don't know exactly how to search to see if this information is already here.
In order to proceed with the Dosdude Sierra patch on iMac, I had to go into Terminal after booting the installer and set the date to 2017. Before I did that, my install would abort with an error message along the lines of no eligible packages found.
Yeah, we were talking about this issue (certificates expiring) on this very page.

Reactions: TimothyR734

Bobcov1

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2019
Yeah, we were talking about this issue (certificates expiring) on this very page.
Arrgh, the misadventures of a newbie. Normally, I'd say it doesn't hurt to have a repeat, but that's a bit hard to defend if it appears on the same page. Oy vey. Since 10.12 has worked, next step is to try 10.14 and if that works, then I will buy an SSD and install it internally. At the moment, my 10.12 is actually running over usb 2.0 from an external.

Bobcov1

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2019
No problem, Bobcov1.
I find that on any OS after 10.6 an SSD is really necessary to have a smooth system these days...and that even on older systems it helps a lot.
Slightly off topic, but do you happen to know if I have to buy a drive temperature sensor Sara interface cable if I replace the original Mac 3.5" drive with a 2.5" SSHD? ( I have a spare 500gb SSHD which I'm willing to try out to avoid buying a "real" drive. ) I read somewhere that the fans will come on unless they can detect the drive temperature.

riven2000

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
I'm trying to install sierra with dosdude1's patcher on my early 2008 Mac Pro, and when I restart to the USB driver to install, after a few seconds I get the circle with a line through it. Then it reverts to the main hard drive. I've tried different versions of 10.12, but do I need 10.12.0? And if so, where can I get it? (Having a hard time finding that one.)

Bobcov1

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2019
I'm no expert, but if the USB stick isn't even booting, I would try another stick or another USB port. If you have access to another Mac and it doesn't boot then I would remake the installer on a different flash drive.

riven2000

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
I'm no expert, but if the USB stick isn't even booting, I would try another stick or another USB port. If you have access to another Mac and it doesn't boot then I would remake the installer on a different flash drive.
I tried a regular external USB drive too, but it was the same. The drives do boot initially, then after a few seconds the Apple logo turns into the prohibitory sign. Do I need to use a specific version of 10.12?

Bobcov1

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2019
I tried a regular external USB drive too, but it was the same. The drives do boot initially, then after a few seconds the Apple logo turns into the prohibitory sign. Do I need to use a specific version of 10.12?
They boot to the installer screen or they start to boot but never get to the installer screen? Dosdude's page says this error can indicate a non-eligible machine, but early 2008 is listed as okay. Are the USB devices USB 3 or USB 2 rated? I read USB 3 rated drives can cause a problem but I used one for one of my installs on 2009 iMac without a problem. Did you format the drive as GUID partition map and extended journaled before the patcher install? I don't know if that matters, but if you didn't, it can't hurt to try that. I'm swimming in the deep end here...

riven2000

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
I’d try booting in verbose mode (command-v while booting) to see what hangs exactly.
Ok, I booted in verbose mode, got this:

ERROR!!! Load prelinked kernel with status 0x8000000000000007
Error loading kernel cache (0x7)

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.