Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes, the release version. See my new screenshot to show what I mean.
I figured out what we are doing differently. Open finder them go to your user folder then go to list view, then command-j and you will see the setting screen I showed.

Apparently it is different in icon view like you are using.

Screen_Shot_2017-09-26_at_11_28_27_AM.png

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
After upgrading it seems like Messages stopped autocorrecting contractions. Anyone know why or how to get it back?

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Interested in this! I'm listening to a podcast through itunes, and when I'm on safari and hit play/pause, instead of pausing my podcast, it plays a youtube video thats in one of my tabs

Anyone know how to change the new play/pause keyboard thing? Its seriously annoying! Feels like a glitch!

Reactions: ErikGrim

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Tweaked, see the link in my signature. :)

OMG! Looks freaking amazing... I can't stand the flattened looks (typing this on OS X 10.9.5) ... will check your thread once I get home tonight

Thank you very much again!

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Very interested aswell, I HATE this change. By now, the only thing you can do is to send some Feedback to Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Maybe with BetterTouchTool there is something that we can do, but honestly, I hope they remove this 'feature'

Its so glitchy! Like I click a video in the twitter app, so I hit the pause button on my keyboard to pause iTunes, but it wont pause it... And then I go to the iTunes app and then hit the same button, and it still wont pause it..!

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
Its so glitchy! Like I click a video in the twitter app, so I hit the pause button on my keyboard to pause iTunes, but it wont pause it... And then I go to the iTunes app and then hit the same button, and it still wont pause it..!

Yeah, it’s horrible... But I don’t think Apple will change it so were screwed

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Yeah, it’s horrible... But I don’t think Apple will change it so were screwed

And now I'm just realizing that its just as bad if you have a bluetooth device connected (not the AirPods of course...) and hit pause or play on it. Not working for me, even if I'm on iTunes

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
External display output via the 460 Pro on my 2016 15" tMBP has much improved sharpness now that I'm on High Sierra. It was noticeably soft under Sierra (to the point where I'd prefer to work in Windows for some things). Really glad this is fixed. It also seems to render a little sharper on the internal display when I'm on the dGPU, too.

johnortega562

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Can anyone confirm if any additional wallpapers were included in the OS aside from the default High Sierra one? My MacBook Pro is from Mid '09 so it's not compatible but I wanted to add any of the new wallpapers. Thank you.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Can anyone confirm if any additional wallpapers were included in the OS aside from the default High Sierra one? My MacBook Pro is from Mid '09 so it's not compatible but I wanted to add any of the new wallpapers. Thank you.
Doesn't look like there are any new ones aside from the default.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
OLDER/OTHER HARD DISKS?
I have an external hard disk formatted in hfs+/mac os extended/journaled.
I used it to keep files there, and also taking backups with superduper, as it is formatted in 2 partitions.

Now with the new file system on my mac, what should I do better?
Of course mac can read and use the disk as always.
But is it more future proof and trouble free, to make some kind of conversion in my external hard disk?
Should I go this way, and how this can be done? Or just leave it as is?

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
OLDER/OTHER HARD DISKS?
I have an external hard disk formatted in hfs+/mac os extended/journaled.
I used it to keep files there, and also taking backups with superduper, as it is formatted in 2 partitions.

Now with the new file system on my mac, what should I do better?
Of course mac can read and use the disk as always.
But is it more future proof and trouble free, to make some kind of conversion in my external hard disk?
Should I go this way, and how this can be done? Or just leave it as is?

I did it to both my external 1TB drives. Just go into Disk Utility and on the sidebar do a right click and you'll be able to convert to APFS. Takes about 20 seconds per drive despite my drives being 99 percent full. Super painless and I have no complaints.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Still don't think Notification Centre is a viable alternative to Dashboard. Just seems more inconvenient with no real benefit of its own. I'd love Dashboard to get a complete overhaul and widgets to be sold on the MAS, but I realise that is extremely unlikely. Perhaps as a compromise NC widgets could run in Dashboard (again, not very likely) - but nothing compares to the convenience of widgets which can completely overlay your screen with a transparent background enabled by one button tap.

Once you're used to the calculator, calendar, weather being available in a keystroke, scrolling up and down Today view in NC seems oddly fiddly.

Agreed. I like dashboard for the same reasons. Unfortunately it seems to be a bit more broken with every new OS release. For example, it’s very difficult to display an image on the dashboard in Sierra. Not sure about HS as my installation failed.

TheOldProf

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
Installed HS 2 days ago. Today activity monitor shows simquald using 180% of cpu. What is it and what is going on?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Installed HS 2 days ago. Today activity monitor shows simquald using 180% of cpu. What is it and what is going on?
I don't have that process running on HS, so it looks like some third party app/utility you installed. Select it in Activity Monitor and hit command-i to Get Info then click on the right tab Open Files and Ports to see if that helps you figure out what app is launching that process.

TheOldProf

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
Thanks for the help. Turned out the offender Was Nortpn Internet Security. Uninstalled the app and everything is back to normal.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Is there any file speed increase in copying/transferring files between APFS disks and other(ntfs/hfs+/APFS) usb connected disks?
Any real experience and observation on this?

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I have a extern USB hard drive that I use for Time Machine, and another one I use for SuperDuper. I saw that SuperDuper has a beta for APFS support, but I'm still confused.
Can I change both my external (spinning) drives to APFS, without deleting the content? Should I? Will the backup process be faster if they're APFS?

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Do the Touch Bar sliders not auto-hide anymore after manually opening them with a single tap (no tap/drag; no flick). Is this intentional or do I have a bug/bad Touch Bar

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I have a extern USB hard drive that I use for Time Machine, and another one I use for SuperDuper. I saw that SuperDuper has a beta for APFS support, but I'm still confused.
Can I change both my external (spinning) drives to APFS, without deleting the content? Should I? Will the backup process be faster if they're APFS?

I think you can't make superduper backup from internal hard disk(apfs) to external hard disk, if the external hd is not apfs too. So you have to firstly convert it using disk utility. Conversion will not make any harm to your data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.