Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I have some personal dmgs. Of course, they are formatted in hfs+.
Is there any real benefit, of manually recreating them using the apfs system?

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I have a extern USB hard drive that I use for Time Machine, and another one I use for SuperDuper. I saw that SuperDuper has a beta for APFS support, but I'm still confused.
Can I change both my external (spinning) drives to APFS, without deleting the content? Should I? Will the backup process be faster if they're APFS?

I suggest waiting until the final SuperDuper! 3 is released because beta version likely have bugs, furthermore Apple has documented APFS only partially and until they release the documents supporting it is going to be reverse engineering/guesses which isn't the best idea with backups...

At the moment APFS isn't going to improve hard drives much so conversion is likely premature.

Hard to say for certain because the documentation is parse but my guess is no until Apple releases more information.

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Wow, I can not wait to check this out! High Sierra has totally effed up my AirPod use... Wont pause when I take one out, or double tap... Hopefully this fixes it
[doublepost=1507571370][/doublepost]
Wow, I can not wait to check this out! High Sierra has totally effed up my AirPod use... Wont pause when I take one out, or double tap... Hopefully this fixes it

Oh, I just realized its an application that fixes it... Kind of annoying. Does anyone know if 10.13.1 fixes this problem?

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
I could be wrong but I don't think DMGs have anything to do with file systems. They're just a file format. Am I wrong? I'd love to be enlightened if so.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
This one may or may not be obvious. But High Sierra now shares a single (unencrypted) VM volume across system volumes in the same APFS container, whether the system volumes themselves are encrypted or not, which can save quite a bit of space due to the sleep image that a VM volume contains. Since APFS makes it incredibly simple to temporarily add another shared space volume to a container, this reduces some friction involved in quickly setting up another system volume on the same disk as long as you have a little bit of free disk space left. In this example, High Sierra is installed both on Macintosh HD as well as the Testing volume. You can see that the latter barely takes up more than 12GB of space.

apfs.png

fivenotrump

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Central England
The venerable cal(1) program has been updated. Today's date is highlighted by default, and there is a handy option to show this month and the months before and after.

imasterus

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
All the little things.. Yeah.. Until yesterday I didn't know that my MacBook Air was able to boot with the lid being closed! It was on sleep mode without charge on (battery was not dead), and when I plugged in the charger it did reboot one minute later. So much to discover with this High Sierra :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.