Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

xflashx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2016
This is a Wiki, so anyone can edit it and add bugs and/or bug fixes.

10.13 DP1
-------------------------------------------------------
Bugs:
  • System takes longer to boot (rMBP 2015)
  • Samba connections broken (extremely slow)
  • Attempts to create time machine backup fails, no backups possible
  • Can't disable Time Machine local snapshots (via terminal)
  • Can't hide login items in system preferences
  • Problems with network (HTTP; sometimes webpages load very slowly)
  • random restarts (Mac Pro, 2013)
  • slow UI animations (rMBP 2013, 13")
  • „telnet“ command not present in terminal
  • System hangs when locking screen and resuming it on again
  • reboots when using key shortcut to put to sleep mode
  • high battery drain when in sleep mode
  • Randomly switching color mode when playing movies (for some - not confirmed)
  • after reboot auto brightness is always turned on
  • external display is not detected when it's connected to the device at boot up (for some - not confirmed)
  • Printing fails with "Filter Error". Reinstalling printer did not fix.
  • Safari "download tab" doesn't resize appropriately
  • Mails app crashes frequently
  • zooming pdfs in Safari with touchpad gesture results also in scrolling up
  • Overall system slowness
  • Can’t zoom out of pdf in preview
  • exporting edited pictures in photos might create a corrupted picture
  • iMessages is broken after rolling back Sierra, contacts show as numbers and unable to send iMessages to new contact as says number not registered to iMessage.
  • MacBook (Pro/Air) Battery works, but is not seen. In Powersettings if turned on it closes instantly (probably only 3th party batteries)
  • Email alert sound no longer works.
  • Pink Hue present on Wacom Cintiq Pro 16
Bug fixes:
  • - Toggle nightshift to remove pink hue on Wacom Cintiq Pro 16
10.13 DP2
Bug fixes:
  • UI animations seem to be fast again
  • Can hide login items again
  • Safari "download tab" resizes properly again
  • improved overall system speed
  • zooming out of pdfs in preview works again
  • afp connections seem to be broken now as well (besides samba) (deprecated on

• APFS volumes)
10.13 Public Beta (17A291m)
Bugs:
  • Mail Preference Panes not displaying correctly, only get blank window.
  • Launchpad - cannot delete app after icon starts wiggling when editing Launchpad
  • Auto-Unlock with Apple Watch not functioning. "Mac cannot communicate with Apple Watch"
10.13 Developer Beta 5 (17A330h)
New bugs:
  • Internal trackpad is not recognised in System Preferences (MacBook Mid 2010)
Reoccurring bugs:
  • AVCHD content in browser view in QuickTime cannot be scrolled
Bug fixes:
  • Dock no longer glitches on OpenGL capable only Macs when opening an app that is not pinned to the dock
  • Since the first beta of Sierra 10.12, frame rate of FaceTime video calls has finally been fixed
10.13 Gold Master Candidate (17A362a)
New bugs:
Reoccurring bugs:
  • FaceTime (avconferenced process) crashes with Always on Top mode when entering background app in full-screen
  • Internal trackpad is not recognised in System Preferences (MacBook Mid 2010)
  • iOS 10 devices don't see tabs opened on Macs with Safari 11
Bug fixes:

10.13 Official Release (17A365)
New bugs:
  • Black boot screen with grey progress bar (APFS Encrypted disk, MacBook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2012)
  • When I'm opening folders it's impossible to use them because always flick in the screen (MBP TB2017)
  • System Preferences Trackpad gesture animations don't play (MacBook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2012)
  • Slow boot times with TRIM enabled. Disabling TRIM speeds up boot time.
  • Netflix full screen green screen with Safari or Chrome and SD content (Macs with HD4000 graphics)
  • Video artifacts garble Parallels VM display when switching desktop spaces to/from Parallels VM in full screen mode (MBP 15-in mid 2012)
  • Pink Hue on dropped menus [workaround: turn off automatic graphics switching on Macs with dGPU. Also fixes Mail slow scrolling when Move/Copy mail to mailbox.]
  • [Feature?] "Keychain Access" has no menu bar option anymore. [Preferences>General option removed]
  • Two fingers swipe back/forward not working on Safari on multiple occasions. The swipe animation moves a little, but then reverts back. (MBP 15-inch, Mid-2015)
  • Apple Notes: when conducting a search, the results are sorted in random order instead of the order specified in Settings.
  • Pink Hue on Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 screen
Reoccurring bugs:
  • FaceTime (avconferenced process) crashes with Always on Top mode when entering background app in full-screen
  • iOS 10 devices don't see tabs opened on Macs with Safari 11
Bug fixes:
Toggle nightshift to remove pink hue on Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 screen - only works until sleep or reboot

Last edited:

José Almeida

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
Problems with Networking specially with HTTP protocol.
Sometime it takes for ages to open a webpage or to view a mail message that has web content.

EDITED
Hi,
I was able to fix this.
I was going to reinstall the previous version, so I went into recovery mode and by mistake I selected setup from Internet.
I taught it was not going to function because normally when you do that it says the there is a previous osx version installed.
But to my surprise, it wen along installing the Beta again from the internet.
After that things have improved a lot in regard to networking.
I don't know if this fixes your problems, mas it does not hurt to try. Since nothing is deleted, it only resintalls the beta from the internet.
At least in my case that's what happened.

Last edited:

egarner

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
Problems with Networking specially with HTTP protocol.
Sometime it takes for ages to open a webpage or to view a mail message that has web content.

I'm seconding this bug. It's rather severe, and present on both Wifi and on Ethernet. Almost a show stopper.

Reactions: Fredn3ck

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Every now and then safari just kind of freezes for a few seconds.
The minimize/maximize/quit dots (green,yellow,red) are missing on some applications (Spotify) or buggy one others (Discord).

José Almeida

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
Networking PROBLEMS: FIXED

I was able to fix this.
I was going to reinstall the previous version, so I went into recovery mode and by mistake I selected setup from Internet.
I taught it was not going to function because normally when you do that it says the there is a previous osx version installed.
But to my surprise, it wen along installing the Beta again from the internet.
After that things have improved a lot in regard to networking.
I don't know if this fixes your problems, mas it does not hurt to try. Since nothing is deleted, it only resintalls the beta from the internet.
At least in my case that's what happened.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
06-08-17
If I close the lid of my early 2011 13" macbook pro in order to put it to sleep and wait a few seconds and then open it up it won't wake up, keyboard doesn't light up and the only thing I can do is turn it off and on again. Here's the thread from apple forums https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/78911. It seems that it's a bug affecting mostly (or only?) older non-retina macbooks.

Same on my early 2011 MBP 15".....The battery was going down insanely fast...... I deleted a whole bunch of preference files, and that seemed to REALLY help.....I also notice upon boot there was something about CoriolisSnapshot giving an error, I deleted the Coriolis Stuff from /Library/Extensions/ there were two of them. The battery is not dying as fast now, and is somewhat usable. It is still not a normal battery life though.

Reactions: nasa25

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Both my iMac and rMBP exhibit the following:
- Randomly switching color mode when playing movies
- after reboot auto brightness is always turned on
- external display is not detected when it's connected to the device at boot up. - i need to unplug and then turn of the display and then reconnect
- after 2 days some apps start to crash out of nowhere for no particular reason
- incredibly slow boot up

I will keep the iMac on DPs but I am doing now a TM restore on the rMBP.

Cheers

Reactions: JAbu

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Bugs I have noticed so far:
- hangs when locking screen and resuming it on again; I have to force shut it down and then turn it on again
- reboots when using key shortcut to put to sleep mode; shows error when 'resuming', saying it rebooted (and sends crash report to Apple)
- battery dying pretty quickly in sleep mode; before I go to sleep I always put it in my bag, and usually when I arrive at work/internship it's still at 100%, if not at least at 95%. But today it was at 85%. And yes, I'm 100% sure it was completely charged right before I went to bed.

Obviously, I know it's a beta. So I'm not too surprised. Although compared to the Sierra beta last year, there now seem to be actual annoying bugs. Last year I only experienced a bit more lag here and there, nothing else. :p

So I look forward to the next beta, which hopefully addresses these issues right away, although I realize it might take up to a few more betas.

xflashx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2016
So apparently terminal doesn’t know the „telnet“ command anymore, which I believe really must be a bug. Can’t see why they should remove it, otherwise that’s just ridiculous.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
My 2011 MBP seems to only halfway go to sleep. It will give the sleep indicator light, but still seems to be doing something. The one day I took it to work, it was roasting when I pulled it out of my bag.

The battery in this computer has seen better days, but at the same time under Sierra it would still sleep for 2-3 days. Under High Sierra, it won't last the night.

That reminds me that I need to renew my dev account so that I don't get locked out of updates before public beta.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
It seems that this solved my
If I close the lid of my early 2011 13" macbook pro in order to put it to sleep and wait a few seconds and then open it up it won't wake up, keyboard doesn't light up and the only thing I can do is turn it off and on again. Here's the thread from apple forums https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/78911. It seems that it's a bug affecting mostly (or only?) older non-retina macbooks.

It seems that I solved this somewhat in terminal

Run a :

pmset -g custom

If your hibernate mode is not three, then

sudo pmset hibernatemode 3

If standby is 0, then

sudo pmset standby 1

It doesn't seem like sleep is what it was before, but I don't have to force restart every time it goes to sleep

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
The Mail app seems to crash quite frequently. I've noticed it happen a lot when I'm starting a new email and I alt tab to safari or another application.

Reactions: ankh

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
It seems that this solved my

It seems that I solved this somewhat in terminal

Run a :

pmset -g custom

If your hibernate mode is not three, then

sudo pmset hibernatemode 3

If standby is 0, then

sudo pmset standby 1

It doesn't seem like sleep is what it was before, but I don't have to force restart every time it goes to sleep

This seems to have more or less fixed the issues on my 2011(8,1). It will now at least sleep without cooking itself.

Reactions: mikecwest

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
This seems to have more or less fixed the issues on my 2011(8,1). It will now at least sleep without cooking itself.

It solved the sleep problem for me as well, are you still burning through your battery? I can leave it sleeping for hours with no battery loss, but I have lost 7 % in the last ten minutes...Spotlight keeps using power, not sure why.

ninjamonkey7

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2017
Both my iMac and rMBP exhibit the following:
- Randomly switching color mode when playing movies
- after reboot auto brightness is always turned on
- external display is not detected when it's connected to the device at boot up. - i need to unplug and then turn of the display and then reconnect
- after 2 days some apps start to crash out of nowhere for no particular reason
- incredibly slow boot up

I will keep the iMac on DPs but I am doing now a TM restore on the rMBP.

Cheers
Hey Kissmo, did you have any luck rolling back to Sierra? Reason I ask is that when I try to do this i think becasue of the new APFS, Sierra (not high) is not seeing recognising the drive as a valid install location.

I've also tried erasing the entire partition and that wont work either.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Hey Kissmo, did you have any luck rolling back to Sierra? Reason I ask is that when I try to do this i think becasue of the new APFS, Sierra (not high) is not seeing recognising the drive as a valid install location.

I've also tried erasing the entire partition and that wont work either.

The only way to roll back is to have a TM Backup.
I rolled back on my MBP - I was booting from the TM Backup.

I restarted the Mac - hold the ALT Key and select the TM to boot from it.
After that - I launched DiskUtility and I wiped the whole partition and created a new HFS+ and restored successfully.

Try to boot from the TM not from the recovery partition! Maybe that will help.

ninjamonkey7

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2017
The only way to roll back is to have a TM Backup.
I rolled back on my MBP - I was booting from the TM Backup.

I restarted the Mac - hold the ALT Key and select the TM to boot from it.
After that - I launched DiskUtility and I wiped the whole partition and created a new HFS+ and restored successfully.

Try to boot from the TM not from the recovery partition! Maybe that will help.
Awesome thanks Kissmo, i've got a TM backup so will have a crack tonight and see ho wI go...fingers crossed.

ninjamonkey7

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2017
fingers crossed! and let me know how it worked

So i didn't get all the way but positive signs so far.
Steps
- Booted in recovery mode High Sierra
- Opened Disk Utility
- Tried to erase boot drive and format to Mac os journaled - no dice (didn't work got an error)
- Tried to erase boot drive and format to APFS - x error message advising that there was a kernel being used in a mounted “Restore” partitian...but it errored later than the first error.

So

- I rebooted using a bootable USB with Sierra (Not High)
- Opened disk utility
- Tried to erase boot drive and format to APFS - Success!
- Tried to erase boot drive and format to Mac OS Journaled - Success!

So looks like one of the issues was there was something being used on the drive that I was trying to format that was stopping the process.

By the time I got this far it was pretty late so i’m going to try and restore from my TM backup tonight…I’ll let you know who I go.

I’ve got 2 TM backups
  • High Sierra 10.13
  • Sierra 10.12
I’m not sure if the HS 10.13 backup will restore to a non APFS formatted drive but I’ll see how I go, and keep you posted.

Cheers

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
So i didn't get all the way but positive signs so far.
Steps
- Booted in recovery mode High Sierra
- Opened Disk Utility
- Tried to erase boot drive and format to Mac os journaled - no dice (didn't work got an error)
- Tried to erase boot drive and format to APFS - x error message advising that there was a kernel being used in a mounted “Restore” partitian...but it errored later than the first error.

So

- I rebooted using a bootable USB with Sierra (Not High)
- Opened disk utility
- Tried to erase boot drive and format to APFS - Success!
- Tried to erase boot drive and format to Mac OS Journaled - Success!

So looks like one of the issues was there was something being used on the drive that I was trying to format that was stopping the process.

By the time I got this far it was pretty late so i’m going to try and restore from my TM backup tonight…I’ll let you know who I go.

I’ve got 2 TM backups
  • High Sierra 10.13
  • Sierra 10.12
I’m not sure if the HS 10.13 backup will restore to a non APFS formatted drive but I’ll see how I go, and keep you posted.

Cheers

OK So
1- plug in the TM Backup Drive with Sierra into the Mac.
2- Turn on your Mac.
3- Holt the ALT key.
4- Choose to boot from the Time Machine Backup - THIS IS IMPORTANT - Not Recovery partition!
5- After that, when it boots, go to disk utility and wipe out the high sierra partition and make a new HFS+

This is how I did it for me.
But if you managed to wipe already everything then you will be able for sure to restore.

Cheers!

Last edited:

AlejandroM1998

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2017
I agree with everyone. Also, on my MacBook Air 13" from Early 2015, the Mail app is not refreshing appropriately in the background when it's open. I would be surfing the web whatever, and unless I go there and refresh, no emails will come in. And if they do, it takes a lot longer than what I have my auto-refresh set to so they appear in bulk. Also, going into Finder and clicking on Creative Cloud or All My Files will crash the system and the computer would restart. So yes, random restarts, battery definitely drains a lot. I didn't use my computer today a lot and when I opened it it was hot, so there's definitely some activity going on in the background even after you close the lid. Something's wrong. But like some of you have said, it's a Beta and we're here to find the bugs. Hopefully, by the 19th we will have a 2nd Beta will bug fixes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.