Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ninjamonkey7

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2017
OK So
1- plug in the TM Backup Drive with Sierra into the Mac.
2- Turn on your Mac.
3- Holt the ALT key.
4- Choose to boot from the Time Machine Backup - THIS IS IMPORTANT - Not Recovery partition!
5- After that, when it boots, go to disk utility and wipe out the high sierra partition and make a new HFS+

This is how I did it for me.
But if you managed to wipe already everything then you will be able for sure to restore.

Cheers!
Cool.

So because my TM backups are on a NAS i couldn't find a way to boot from them, so in my frustration, i just erased the drive and restarted the laptop (not in any normal mode).

I left it for maybe 20 min, and when I came back to it, it had the option to restore from the internet!
So I ended up restoring it back to Mountain Lion, and am going to try restoring from my NAS TM backup tonight. I'll let you know how it goes

Reactions: kissmo

Belazor

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
Networking PROBLEMS: FIXED

I was able to fix this.
I was going to reinstall the previous version, so I went into recovery mode and by mistake I selected setup from Internet.
I taught it was not going to function because normally when you do that it says the there is a previous osx version installed.
But to my surprise, it wen along installing the Beta again from the internet.
After that things have improved a lot in regard to networking.
I don't know if this fixes your problems, mas it does not hurt to try. Since nothing is deleted, it only resintalls the beta from the internet.
At least in my case that's what happened.
I can confirm this works for me too. I had to reinstall via Recovery Mode (i.e. no data loss) both for DP1 and DP2, but HTTP appears to be working fine for me now :)

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
Awesome thanks Kissmo, i've got a TM backup so will have a crack tonight and see ho wI go...fingers crossed.
Hi, let me know if that worked for you. My system never went to APFS after beta 1. After beta 2, it choked during the install (screen looked funny), I press the trackpad, the installer continued but rebooted. Now I have the circle with a line through it resembling a no smoking sign sans the cigarette. I tried the recovery partition but it was unable to erase the partition. It sees the APFS container, but no partitions, it seems. TM was unable to restore since it found no drive, manual reinstall found nothing to install to. So I like to restore using TM then, I am eager to know if this helped you as I am away from the mac right now.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
If I close the lid of my early 2011 13" macbook pro in order to put it to sleep and wait a few seconds and then open it up it won't wake up, keyboard doesn't light up and the only thing I can do is turn it off and on again. Here's the thread from apple forums https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/78911. It seems that it's a bug affecting mostly (or only?) older non-retina macbooks.

Exact same thing happens on my early 2011 MBP. Super annoying.
[doublepost=1498357318][/doublepost]
It solved the sleep problem for me as well, are you still burning through your battery? I can leave it sleeping for hours with no battery loss, but I have lost 7 % in the last ten minutes...Spotlight keeps using power, not sure why.

Thanks for the terminal instructions. That sorted my sleep issue

But like you I’m having the battery issue. Spotlight is killing my battery.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Doing "First Aid" through Disk Utility fails on the 3 Macs I have this installed on.

antmarobel

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2009
Brasília
The most interesting bug I detected (and it persists on DP2) is that, after a long day of using, creating folders, editing tags on music files, downloading photos etc, etc etc I shut down the computer (iMac 27, i5, late 2014, Fusion Drive) and in the next day everything I done is lost. But - and that is interesting too - it doesn't happen every time... Weird, isn't it?

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
The Safari Downloads window bug is fixed. What's more, I saw that they've replaced the Sierra picture with the High Sierra's one in "About this Mac" window.

I know that those are very small things, but still decided to share them with you.

What I really hope will be fixed soon is that when you use different input language (Bulgarian, for example), when you use the caps lock - it changes the input language to English, even if this function is disabled in the Keyboard Preferences. Really hate that...

Suspended
Jun 23, 2017
Anyone having trouble getting their iDevices to show up in iTunes? My iPhone shows up in System Information but never shows up in iTunes.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Anyone seen an issue with not being able to sign in with iMessage or App Store. Getting Authentication failure. No issue with iCloud account in Sys Pref.

morgy59

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2017
reboots when using key shortcut to put to sleep mode

Did not happen on the macOS High Sierra Public beta 17A291m on a 2015 13" MacBook Pro with Retina with the base configuration but upgrade storage from 128GB to a 480GB OWC Aura SSD.
[doublepost=1498802070][/doublepost]
System takes longer to boot (rMBP 2015)
This is still a bug in macOS High Sierra Public Beta 17A291m and also the progress bar need fixing because as well when rebooting

neo_aoshi

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2017
I haven't seen anyone report this bug anywhere. On my 2011 Macbook Pro 15in brightness controls no longer work. It's stuck on the same brightness.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I haven't seen anyone report this bug anywhere. On my 2011 Macbook Pro 15in brightness controls no longer work. It's stuck on the same brightness.

That happened to me after the Beta 2 update. I was set at a lower brightness, it was a big pain. I could barely see. I tried everything but the correct solution. Finally, I booted into some old OSX that I have on a external drive (it should not matter what version) and set the brightness higher, I then rebooted, and the brightness was higher, but the keyboard controls, and control panel slider, have no effect.

Additionally, it does not want to wake up from sleep. Previously on the first beta, I could go to terminal and type "sudo peset standby 1 hibernatemode 3", and that solved it. It is no longer the case.

I kept getting cryptic messages about missing key bags in single user mode, and errors in disk utility....I reinstalled everything.....Sleep problem and brightness continued. I am thinking they made be related, and maybe when the computer wakes up, the brightness is turned off, as it sounds like it is "awake" as I hear notifications for emails and messages.

I tried using some small utility, but it does nothing on this installation, on the "other osx on the external drive, and typing
"Brightness 1" and Brightness 0, have a notable effect. You can get it here "http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090901021817717"

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
So apparently terminal doesn’t know the „telnet“ command anymore, which I believe really must be a bug. Can’t see why they should remove it, otherwise that’s just ridiculous.
I'm guessing that Apple removed it because it is an insecure protocol. Is there anything you could do in telnet that you can't do in "ssh"?

Reniboy

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Battery is dying fast. Even when it's sleeping, it's much warmer than usual. This is on a 2016 MacBook Pro 13'. Battery life has gone from typically about 9 hours to well under 5, overall it definitely runs much warmer than before. I was in awe about how cool this laptop used to run, now I can't even use it on my lap anymore. Bad! Never installing a beta again after this.

mpxio

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2016
UK
FaceTime camera no longer works on my Mid 2012 rMBP, not in FaceTime or PhotoBooth. Tried an SMC reset (just in case). No joy. Have submitted a report to Apple. Camera was working fine earlier in the week and the screen assembly is only about a year old anyway.
[doublepost=1498930299][/doublepost]
I'm guessing that Apple removed it because it is an insecure protocol. Is there anything you could do in telnet that you can't do in "ssh"?

Lots of people still use telnet for debugging plain text network services, e.g. SMTP, or to check if a connection to, say, an HTTPS server is even possible before proceeding to debug further with openssl.

I think you're right in that Apple have removed the telnet command due to the protocol being effectively obsolete. Anyone still using it for debugging should probably use netcat (nc) instead, which gives you much more functionality.

Reactions: Feenician

Thieves Dont

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2009
Anyone seen an issue with not being able to sign in with iMessage or App Store. Getting Authentication failure. No issue with iCloud account in Sys Pref.

So I'm not sure if this is the exact problem, but after upgrading I was met with the "iCloud must be updated" prompt when trying to log into iMessage, App Store, and FaceTime. Tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked for me except the following:

Remove Network Configuration Files Many people have said that their problems have been solved after deleting network configuration related plist files. To do this: Turn off Wi-Fi from the menu bar. Navigate to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ in Finder by pressing ⌘ + Shift + G. Screenshot 2014-11-10 00.23.23 Select the following files: http://com.apple .airport.preferences.plist http://com.apple.network .identification.plist http://com.apple .wifi.message-tracer.plist NetworkInterfaces.plist preferences.plist Copy these files in a safe location so that if anything gets messed up, you can easily restore them. Delete the files. Reboot your Mac and enable Wi-Fi again.

This was driving me crazy so I kept searching for solutions. Certain things like the App Store error (not being able to verify my iCloud account OR computer) sent me on a further search which lead me to above.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
So I'm not sure if this is the exact problem, but after upgrading I was met with the "iCloud must be updated" prompt when trying to log into iMessage, App Store, and FaceTime. Tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked for me except the following:

This was driving me crazy so I kept searching for solutions. Certain things like the App Store error (not being able to verify my iCloud account OR computer) sent me on a further search which lead me to above.

Still having issues with your iCloud account? You may have hit the race condition (that's my theory anyways) that I ran into running "mixed mode" with HS DP1. In that scenario, the only devices moved forward to the new iMessage were two MacBooks that I have - my other Mac and iOS devices were still running Sierra and iOS 10.
Suddenly my messages stopped syncing across my devices. A couple of them, I found iMessage was actually logged out. When I went to the iCloud account page, I was forced to change my iCloud password (even though I only changed it a couple months back) - so, the system obviously knew something was messed up in my credentials.

The fix? Removed my two HS MacBooks from my list of authorized devices on the iCloud page, then removed all others except my iPhone on iOS 10. Logged all devices out of iCloud, then logged my Sierra Mac in, did the same to the iPhone (did this to preserve my 2FA), then logged all non-HS devices back in. (and reloaded Sierra on one of the MacBooks).
All was square again.

I've since loaded HS PB1 on that MacBook. No strangeness (yet!) :) Knock on wood I won't hit that corner case again.

As the MacBook is an unsupported device, can't report this to Apple.

Thieves Dont

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2009
Still having issues with your iCloud account? You may have hit the race condition (that's my theory anyways) that I ran into running "mixed mode" with HS DP1. In that scenario, the only devices moved forward to the new iMessage were two MacBooks that I have - my other Mac and iOS devices were still running Sierra and iOS 10.
Suddenly my messages stopped syncing across my devices. A couple of them, I found iMessage was actually logged out. When I went to the iCloud account page, I was forced to change my iCloud password (even though I only changed it a couple months back) - so, the system obviously knew something was messed up in my credentials.

The fix? Removed my two HS MacBooks from my list of authorized devices on the iCloud page, then removed all others except my iPhone on iOS 10. Logged all devices out of iCloud, then logged my Sierra Mac in, did the same to the iPhone (did this to preserve my 2FA), then logged all non-HS devices back in. (and reloaded Sierra on one of the MacBooks).
All was square again.

I've since loaded HS PB1 on that MacBook. No strangeness (yet!) :) Knock on wood I won't hit that corner case again.

As the MacBook is an unsupported device, can't report this to Apple.

Fortunately, zero problems since I went through those steps. I was losing it haha. Gonna save your post though just in case ;)

Reactions: jonbravo77

Oakmhcky21

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
PB1 Video Issue.

Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro

Random/reoccurring issue, occurred 5 times in about 2 hours of watching Netflix.

While watching Netflix the screen lightens up. Moving the cursor to undue this, as if it was the screen dimming, caused the video to freeze and dozens of horizontal lines to appear across the screen. The video is in a loop of the last ~.25sec. No cursor or any other commands work, only fix is to force shut down.

Teknikarin

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2014
Hmm...

I have formatted my SSD to APFS and installed macOS High Sierra Public Beta (PB) through USB.

I have my USB formatted as HFS+ (Journaled) and have macOS High Sierra PB on it.

When I am trying to boot from my USB after restarting it will not load. It stops at the end of the "load bar". It will not boot into it.

Why does it not work? I also have the question if I can install macOS High Sierra PB if I reformat my SSD as HFS+ (Journaled)?

Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.