Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Why I can't see 10.13.5 update with software update?
I have to say that this is not the first time happening.
I have observed that there are always delays in the updates I can see, and I do not know why this happens. Any ideas?
In the meantime I will download the combo update dmg file.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Has anyone had the issue of the computer freezing briefly - for 10 seconds or so, then it automatically logs you out? I recently moved from Sierra to HS and it's happened 3 times already. I'll be working, and then the active screen will freeze, then I'll be logged out and will have to log back in again, losing any work not saved.

bosozoku

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2018
Tokyo
I have swapped my old cheap ssd with Samsung 860 EVO. I have used Carbon Copy Clone to clone ssd: first I've formatted it to APFS, then copied, after restart I've chose it as startup disk.
The issue is, it is not showing in "About my Mac - overview" info.
high-sierra-startup-disk.png

Could you please tell, how to fix this? My disk is chosen as a startup disk, just not showing up here...

jasimon9

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
FWIW, on my system that only has an Apple SSD, it still has the disk named "Macintosh HD", even though it is the SSD. I could be completely wrong, but you might want to check further into the System Report to see what kind of device it actually is.

Reactions: crjackson2134

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I'm just spitballing here, but I assume you know that you can change the name of a disk and make it just about anything you want.

Lou

Reactions: crjackson2134

_Alcatraz_

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
Sometimes when I turn off my MacBook Pro, after the screen goes black, it shows up the latest open window before shutting down. It’s not a big “problem”, it’s only a graphic glitch I guess but it kinda annoy me seeing it.
I’m sure it’s a 10.13.5 related bug, because it didn’t happen in the 10.13.4.
Hope 10.13.6 will fix that. Anyone experienced it?

Reactions: jassmex

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
Imac 21.5 late 2013
2.7 ghz IC i5
8gb memory.

10.13.4 worked fine
.5 is super slow in everything.
Boot up and shut down time has tripled.
Spinning wheel of death pops up all the time.
run disc utilities daily.
.6 better have fixes because this is not usable !

jasimon9

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
I have been hesitant to move to HS so for testing of compatibility, have installed 10.13.5 on an external drive. So I can run it and it seems with limited testing that there are no show stoppers as far as compatibility. Which makes sense as the remaining compatibility complaints are for components that I do not use.

However, my main machine is SSD-only, and running the OS from the external drive in comparison is indeed very slow. But hard to isolate the performance impact of HS from the external drive slowness.

To try to approximate the impact, I also loaded Sierra on an external drive, to see if there was subjective differences in performance with the external drive versions of Sierra and HS. Hard to be sure but they generally seemed about the same. But I do not feel this comparison is that robust.

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
I wake up today to find two MacBook pros from 2010 almost bricked Macbooks.

I assume the 10.3.5 update is the culprit.

Does anyone know what the flashing folder with question mark technically indicate that has appeared in place of the Apple logo on initial boot up?

- I’ve run recovery and first aid on one and that failed, something fundamental has occurred that’s not good.
[doublepost=1529155291][/doublepost]
Is the APFS third party SSD bug still ongoing? Adobe Illustrator render bug as well?

Oh dear tell me more, this may have goosed my 1TB Samsung SSD.

Last edited:

thanos.nik

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2018
Greece
Hello, I have another bug to share.

It's a graphical glitch that I've been seeing from the very first release of High Sierra.
I've tested this only on my MacBook Air, so maybe this is different for people with Retina Displays...

When opening the Downloads folder, which is automatically sorted by Date, in list or column view straight from the Stack's "Open in Finder" button or from the Go menu the contents of the main window have weird margins and some elements are overlaid on others.

I've included some screenshots so you can see the difference.

Here is Column View:
(left side is when opened directly from the Dock or Go menu, right side is the "correct" version by navigating to the folder)
Column View.png

And here is List View:

List View.png

I have already sent a report to apple through the feedback page, I would just like to know if anyone else has also had this problem or been able to recreate it.
Thank you.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I have swapped my old cheap ssd with Samsung 860 EVO. I have used Carbon Copy Clone to clone ssd: first I've formatted it to APFS, then copied, after restart I've chose it as startup disk.
The issue is, it is not showing in "About my Mac - overview" info.
high-sierra-startup-disk.png

Could you please tell, how to fix this? My disk is chosen as a startup disk, just not showing up here...

1) Boot the desired SSD that's named "Macintosh HD"
2) Open a Finder Window and right click on the drive (This will open a contextual menu)
3) Select the menu item "Rename Macintosh HD"
4) Type in the name you want it to be (i.e. Macintosh SSD)

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Is there any way to stop the automatic creation of time machine snapshot files?
I have time machine disabled, always. But it still creates 'images'/backups everyday.
I guess that if I stop deleting them manually everyday, in some weeks my hard disk will be full!
In any case, I don't need them!
Can someone tell me if there is any chance to stop this annoying feature?

JuBe

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009
I have noticed 2 bugs so far
1. Contacts app on high sierra fails to sync with icloud
2. Most 3rd party video player apps (VLC, Movist, Playr) crash when attempting to play mkv files

Have you seen/heard anything about the Contacts bug? (Or how to fix it?)

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
Have you seen/heard anything about the Contacts bug? (Or how to fix it?)

a quick fix that worked for me:
  1. close the contacts app
  2. go to ~/Library/Application Support/
  3. rename the AddressBook folder to something like AddressBook(old) just to be safe
  4. open the contacts app
  5. it will create a new AdressBook folder that syncs to icloud properly
  6. if it's all dandy delete the renamed AddressBook folder

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Not really a bug but *** "me" off without installing Homebrew...

I just upgraded to HS, only to realize Telnet is gone from Terminal

I would really like to know Apple advantages here by removing key tings ..... Telnet is not only UNIX for long time users, but its that basis for testing connections to mail servers and communications to make sure everything works correctly.

Crammy

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
Not really a bug but *** "me" off without installing Homebrew...

I just upgraded to HS, only to realize Telnet is gone from Terminal

I would really like to know Apple advantages here by removing key tings ..... Telnet is not only UNIX for long time users, but its that basis for testing connections to mail servers and communications to make sure everything works correctly.

Hi -You can use the terminal command "NC {ip} 23". It's useable in a pinch....

Reactions: Henk Poley

terryh68

macrumors newbie
My Mac Mail Preferences window (High Sierra, but continues despite Mojave upgrade) cannot be resized. It's double-width, extending beyond the screen. I've tried everything I can to resize the window, such as dragging bottom right corner. The green 'full screen' button (top left of window) is also disabled.

Does anyone know how to resize this window??? I am sick of dragging the window across the screen to see the contents of it... HELP!

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
@terryh68
Just wondering why you quoted this LONG post, and put no other comments in the post...

EDIT:
Never mind, I see you have edited the post. I guess it was unintentional.

Last edited:

Seanny

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2018
Hi people, just bought a new 15inch MacBook Pro 2018 and today when booting up it got to a screen saying ‘Mac OS can’t install’ so I restarted and it still won’t boot up. A few other details...

Yesterday I updated the high Sierra OS to recent update and backed up my Xs for the first time to the computer. Also when I first set the Mac up I tried to use Time Machine to migrate documents at startup and after I set it up I couldn’t get in at all as my password wouldn’t work! I tried this twice but ended up reinstalling and starting from scratch just dragging and dropping in what docs I wanted, helped by an Apple advisor I was chatting online.

Any help/ideas greatfully received, I’ve sent log to Apple so will see what they say (eventually).

Last edited:

urbanmacUser

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Hi people, just bought a new 15inch MacBook Pro 2018 and today when booting up it got to a screen saying ‘Mac OS can’t install’ so I restarted and it still won’t boot up. A few other details...

Yesterday I updated the high Sierra OS to recent update and backed up my Xs for the first time to the computer. Also when I first set the Mac up I tried to use Time Machine to migrate documents at startup and after I set it up I couldn’t get in at all as my password wouldn’t work! I tried this twice but ended up reinstalling and starting from scratch just dragging and dropping in what docs I wanted, helped by an Apple advisor I was chatting online.

Any help/ideas greatfully received, I’ve sent log to Apple so will see what they say (eventually).

You seeing something like this:
IMG_0044_zpsntulmnjw.jpg

Seems to be a known issue with the 2018-002 Security Update. Try booting and holding down option and select the disk you want to boot to

Reactions: Seanny

Seanny

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2018
You seeing something like this:
IMG_0044_zpsntulmnjw.jpg

Seems to be a known issue with the 2018-002 Security Update. Try booting and holding down option and select the disk you want to boot to

Thanks very much will try that, I only installed update as I couldn’t connect my phone to the MacBook, I should have known really...

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I'm running macOS 10.14.2 and Safari 12.0.2.

Safari has stopped working where it will start loading a webpage and then say this page needs to be reloaded because an error occurred. It will then just cycle trying to load it over and over again.

This has also broken iTunes, where the Browse and For You tabs (which must be using safari to power them) do the same behavior but no error message. Has anyone else encountered this?

I've tried deleting all webpage data and rebooting to no avail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.