Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Off the cuff:

Split View
(any app): when I close one of the windows the other one gets squeezed graphics for a moment.

Dictionary (Wikipedia articles): tapping on "Look-Up" opens the pop-up for the last word on the preceding line if the target word is the first one on the next line.
Dictionary also has smooth scrolling problem: quite simply it stutters and a single swipe up gesture doesn't scroll the page unless you place your fingers in a fixed position on a random point of the scroll area for a very brief span before swiping up one more time.

iMovie, QuickTime (and possibly every other app): when you click on the name field at the top of the window to change the name you want your document to be saved with the tags dropdown menu appears on its own and obscures the location field so that you can't click the latter.

iTunes (12.8.2): if the dimensions of a picture file doesn't match those for the placeholder of the cover art it won't display until you open "Get Info" and click on "OK". The caveat should be made: all music is imported tracks from earlier versions of iTunes on older OSes (Mavericks and Lion on which the issue is not present).

Video of the issue:

Last edited:

macmacmacr

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2014
With 10.13, I always get "WindowServer [ERROR] - Unknown CGXDisplayDevice: 0x41dc9d00" in console. The computer did crash several times. Found the same problem in official forum and got no answer.

My computer is 13' MBP with touchbar 2017. So I guess it's a bug.

Has this bug been corrected? I have 10.13.6 and the issue still occurs as of MArch-2019

Freedy23

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2014
Hi,

I've just installed the 2019-002 security update, and it broke graphics driver. If I clock on "about this mac" it says, that the graphics memory is 3MB, external display is not working, and graphics acceleration not working properly. If I boot using safe mode, the interface is even slower, so I guess there is some kind of acceleration, but I am not sure.

This is a 13inch, 2011 macbook pro, booting into the latest version of mojave (patched to work with this unsupported mac) graphics acceleration works fine.

Do you have any idea what could have happened and how can I fix it without a clean install?

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Hi,

I've just installed the 2019-002 security update, and it broke graphics driver. If I clock on "about this mac" it says, that the graphics memory is 3MB, external display is not working, and graphics acceleration not working properly. If I boot using safe mode, the interface is even slower, so I guess there is some kind of acceleration, but I am not sure.

This is a 13inch, 2011 macbook pro, booting into the latest version of mojave (patched to work with this unsupported mac) graphics acceleration works fine.

Do you have any idea what could have happened and how can I fix it without a clean install?

This is a thread for bugs in High Sierra, an operating system preceding Mojave. However, taking into account that your Mac is unsupported it's very hard to tell the cause but I'd recommend searching this forum by typing in "dosdude1" keyword in the search field. DosDude1 is the nickname of a guy who put quite an effort to make unsupported Mac run the most current macOS. The search will point you to a thread dedicated to running Mojave on unsupported machines.

Freedy23

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2014
This is a thread for bugs in High Sierra, an operating system preceding Mojave. However, taking into account that your Mac is unsupported it's very hard to tell the cause but I'd recommend searching this forum by typing in "dosdude1" keyword in the search field. DosDude1 is the nickname of a guy who put quite an effort to make unsupported Mac run the most current macOS. The search will point you to a thread dedicated to running Mojave on unsupported machines.

I installed the security update on high sierra. High sierra is my everyday operating system because it is the latest officially supported system. I also have mojave installed on my ssd, i have no problem with it. I posted here because I have problem with high sierra. I mentioned mojave because the security update for high sierra and 10.14.4 came out at the same time.

EDIT: I've read my previous comment again, sorry for not being clear enough about booting mojave as a separate system

Last edited:

creep144

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2019
all this issues whats the point upgrading to macOS high sierra?
Us Mac users are so seasoned at fixing the things that Apple's snobby developers design and test on completely fresh installed OS's on untouched hardware that it has taken on a life of its own. I've found the cure for my ailing update issues in some of the oddest ways and at the strangest times. Once it came to me in a dream that had nothing to do with computers at all. Apple pays them to break our stuff and we all jump at the chance to fix it for them since anyone that knows Apple's way of product support is to replace things with a different device and send it back. Sometimes not even fixing the issue at all and instead managing to lose all of the data that existed in it. I'm writing this on a Mac Pro that the Apple Tech in my town managed to short out my internal Bluetooth replacing a bad HD and oddly enough it works after reconnecting, but only if you crawl inside of the machine with the device that I'm trying to use. The odd part is that I'm on here looking for USB that keeps freezing up and making me power off and reboot at random intervals multiple times a day and post what I may have done that I believe may have fixed the problem. Turning on the Bluetooth inside and it hasn't given me that trouble in almost a full day. That is what I call progress and it sure as hell isn't going to get any attention from Apple. But, they'll surely sell me something to replace the machine that I know inside and out and could work for another 10 years if I can hack my way through them years. But, since it's just an overpriced PC since the first GPU went to hell and I smoke cigarettes which kills the warranty after the first puff of smoke gets in it, they are no longer worth anything to me. Too busy tinkering with devices that are doing nothing for anyone except destroying the planet and humanity by sucking up our lives and turning people into the exact thing that the original Mac commercial claimed that PC users were going to mutate into and the Mac would break the chains holding us down. Ironic that the iPhone and other smartphones laid that notion to rest isn't it? Long story short, we just want functioning machines that don't get infected every time it is powered up. That, and giving Apple the finger as often as possible and this is the only way that it actually causes them any harm. Not giving them a few more thousand dollars for a machine that is obsolete before they even release it to the public is the biggest finger I can think of. We're all in it together and without the people doing the dirty work on their own time and never wanting anything in return besides a heads up if a fix is found my life would be different and very, very lame. Thanks for your time and don't be afraid to not take Apple employees word for anything because they only do what the Applecare Technical Manual says to do and actually don't know very much about anything except making excuses spend 99% of their day at work making sure they look good with an Apple logo on their shirt that they don't want to get dirty by actually touching a machine. Better luck getting my chihauhau to stop pissing in the house after 7 years of failure than getting help from those snobby bitches. Have a good day.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
More bugs:

1. Users&Groups pref pane: Selecting "Allow guests to log in to the computer" disables the Guest account and vice versa.
  2. Handoff falters periodically in an unpredictable fashion: sometimes copypaste will work one direction but not the other, sometimes it would perform an action with a significant amount of delay, sometimes it would go down completely. The only cure is the tedious procedure of signing out of and into iCloud on every device. Meanwhile, AirDrop works as expected.
  3. Trackpad pref pane: "3 fingers drag" option is missing though the gesture is effective: I migrated my account from Mavericks together with preferences so I suppose it could make a difference. To make sure I'm not dreaming I made a screenshot in Mavericks (below). In the Guest account, this option doesn't even have the effect, so it's not possible to drag a window or a Finder object with 3 fingers in the Guest account.
  4. Trackpad pref pane: the animations illustrating every gesture are freezing in the Guest account as the cursor is moved from one option to another.
  5. Generally, animations are lagging, especially moving, resizing windows and switching between desktops.
  6. Spotlight crashes frequently as a certain combination of letters being typed in in its field.

Trackpad.png

Last edited:

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
One more "glitch" in iTunes Store when going forward and backward. Metal framework is not so irreproachable. Swiping left and right makes the page transparent for a good second before landing in a new page.

Last edited:

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
An iTunes playlist opened in a separate window in a full-screen mode:

• Cannot be closed by using the standard shortcut Cmd-W, accepts only clicks
  • When a click to close applied the window is stripped of its content, leaving empty blackness, and is stuck to its full-screen window container that refuses to respond to any actions, except switching from a full-screen mode in Mission Control. This effectively "closes" the window albeit in such a clunky manner.

Last edited:

Mac_User 0101

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2017
Anyone know why in 10.13.6, a Finder Preview window suddenly closes or resets at midnight? For example, if you are listening to a song in Preview, at the stroke of midnight the song will restart from the beginning or the window will suddenly close. I can't figure out what is causing this to happen. I'm thinking it may be a bug or it's a Cinderella thing and my Mac is turning into a pumpkin. I'm using my machine a lot during those hours so it happens to me consistently to the point where I'm ready for it to happen when it's 11:59 P.M. and it's driving me crazy not knowing why this happens.

Last edited:

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Anyone know why in 10.13.6, a Finder Preview window suddenly closes or resets at midnight? For example, if you are listening to a song in Preview, at the stroke of midnight the song will restart from the beginning or the window will suddenly close. I can't figure out what is causing this to happen. I'm thinking it may be a bug or it's a Cinderella thing and my Mac is turning into a pumpkin. I'm using my machine a lot during those hours so it happens to me consistently to the point where I'm ready for it to happen when it's 11:59 P.M. and it's driving me crazy not knowing why this happens.
Ask on Twitter and tag @siracusa

Umarx

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2021
Bahrain
I hope I find an answer here, apologies if this does not belong here.
I have been facing this issue of my file/screen sharing or remote login turns off after a restart. Is there a bug causing it or else. I have been searching on the bigger search machine but to no avail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.