Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
So I suddenly have two weather widgets. The regular one and another one appeared telling me tomorrow's weather partially in Dutch. Any idea where this comes from?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 11.23.38.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 11.23.38.png
    196.6 KB · Views: 646
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 11.24.05.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 11.24.05.png
    650.6 KB · Views: 507
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 11.25.13.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 11.25.13.png
    635.6 KB · Views: 453

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
So I suddenly have two weather widgets. The regular one and another one appeared telling me tomorrow's weather partially in Dutch. Any idea where this comes from?
The original one... is just that...
the second one... partially in Dutch is coming from Siri. If you asked Siri for the weather and added it to the Notification Center... this is what you get.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I never asked Siri to do anything. Does Siri automatically add the weather widget when you ask about it? Like "What's the weather like in Amsterdam tomorrow?"

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
I never asked Siri to do anything. Does Siri automatically add the weather widget when you ask about it? Like "What's the weather like in Amsterdam tomorrow?"
No idea... it was just a hunch I had. So I asked Siri myself... and clicked the plus icon on her reply... voila... it looked exactly like your screenshot. Whether there are OTHER ways of getting it... Idk...

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
I still haven't received the 10.14.1 update on my 2012 MBP. What's this all about?

Im running 18A389. Is this the newest version and I just don't remember updating?

mgauss7

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Miami
Back again for the next round.

Changes:

- New DVD Player icon
- DVD Player is now a Core Services application and 64-bit
- Software Update now in System Preferences
- APFS for mechanical and Fusion drives
- Accent Colors
- Recently Used Apps in Separate Area on Dock (like on iPad)
- Stationery has been removed from Mail
- Installer is now "Space Grey" instead of white
- Safari Extensions now in App Store, "legacy" extensions no longer work
- OpenGL and OpenCL Frameworks are deprecated in favour of Metal
- New Users & Groups Icon in System Preferences
- Updated Login UI, optimized for Retina Displays
- New Finder Preference to Keep Folders on Top on The Desktop
- New Gallery View in Finder
- New Home App
- New News App
- New Stocks App
- New Voice Memos App
- New Screen Capture Mode - cmd + shift + 5
- New Folder Icon in Dark Mode
- New Trash Icon in Dark Mode
- 'createinstallmedia' now has a 'downloadassets' option
- Legacy Software in System Information for software that needs to be updated for compatibility
- (British) English localization
- Choosing 'Customize Toolbar' makes the toolbar icons jiggle slightly
- Checkbox in Wi-fi network list for automatic connection. See screenshot at post #369 (page 15)

NOTE: As always this is NOT a thread for bugs, questions or troubleshooting the betas. All posts must present a new feature or function, or new behaviour not mentioned in the keynote. Please screenshot where necessary. Comments on features are welcome, but stay on topic. This is also not a thread for whining about missing features, complaining, in-fighting or personal agendas. Keep this informative and to the topic at hand.
Why is Mojave not a formal upgrade for my iMac? It seems there are two paths now.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Why is Mojave not a formal upgrade for my iMac? It seems there are two paths now.

Not sure what the question is.

If you are on a previous version of macOS, the next version is never an 'upgrade' from the App Store... It's installing a different (new) version... it's a subtle difference, but that's how it's always been for OS versions on the Mac.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This will be a good one..

In 10.14.2 when you run Terminal command like diskutil, or where there is a time left indicator of ,it should be more accurate the closer you get to the end..

However now, its off by at least 2 or3 seconds and goes "up".. aka.. diskutil zerodisk with 5% left to go. it would be around 5, 4 ,9, 6 etc...

Not exactly a good way but seems this needs fixing. At first it was somehow switching desktops and back, but after staying on the same desktop and watching it, the time goes "up" regardless of how completeness. Probably a visual issue, but still. Didn't happen in 10.14.1

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
So Mojave can automatically mount an UDF 2.6 ISO ? Since when did this happen ?

Not in finder for some reason, but if you use the command line you the ISO file shows as a folder and you can browse its contents.

First time I see this.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
When looking for the icon to screenshot for you, I found I had to do some more digging.

DVD player is now located in /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/.
I believe the icon is new, but I can't say I've looked at the app or used the app in many many years.

Attached is a screenshot of the about screen from DVD player. The DVD disc is the icon for the actual app.
View attachment 764608
There doesn't seem to be a way to make an alias of the DVD player app so that it can be placed in the apps folder. Is there a way to do this?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
if you go to your applications and in the search bar type DVD player it should look like this

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 10.19.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 10.19.56 PM.png
    770.7 KB · Views: 347

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
How do you all have your macs configured to go to sleep automatically in macOS Mojave? I used to have the setting set to tell the Mac to go to sleep automatically after 3 hours of inactivity but I don’t see such a setting in Mojave and don’t know how to properly configure my iMac to go to sleep now after an “X” amount of hours

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How do you all have your macs configured to go to sleep automatically in macOS Mojave? I used to have the setting set to tell the Mac to go to sleep automatically after 3 hours of inactivity but I don’t see such a setting in Mojave and don’t know how to properly configure my iMac to go to sleep now after an “X” amount of hours
Newer Macs don't really sleep, but they go into a very low power mode much like sleep. Hence the word "sleep" does not appear in the settings.

If you set it like in my screenshot it will effectively sleep in three hours.

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 6.32.21 AM.png

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/06/how-os-x-mavericks-works-its-power-saving-magic/

This started with the Haswell chipsets and OS X Mavericks. Here is an article about it.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Newer Macs don't really sleep, but they go into a very low power mode much like sleep. Hence the word "sleep" does not appear in the settings.

If you set it like in my screenshot it will effectively sleep in three hours.

View attachment 830784

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/06/how-os-x-mavericks-works-its-power-saving-magic/

This started with the Haswell chipsets and OS X Mavericks. Here is an article about it.

But the display will be on for 3 hours with these settings or am I not understanding this concept!? I’ve been a Mac owner for close to 12 years so I’m not a newbie by any means but I don’t quite understand this.

The purpose for the Mac to go to sleep is to conserve energy and basically not run when it doesn’t need to run, I mostly use the computer in the evening when I get home from work for about an an hour or two, I liked having the Previous iMac I had on El Capitan set to automatically go to sleep after 3 hours so I wouldn’t ever have to worry about setting the iMac to sleep.

I never liked using the “Put Harddisks to sleep when possible” to avoid the hard disk constantly being turned on and off so I rather keep that off,

Can anyone please chime in on this to help me better understand how to put the IMac to sleep correctly?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
But the display will be on for 3 hours with these settings or am I not understanding this concept? I’ve been a Mac owner for close to 12 years so I’m not a newbie by any means but I don’t quite understand this.

The purpose for the Mac to go to sleep is to conserve energy and basically not run when it doesn’t need to run, I mostly use the computer in the evening when I get home from work for about an an hour or two, I liked having the Previous iMac I had on El Capitan set to automatically go to sleep after 3 hours so I wouldn’t ever have to worry about setting the iMac to sleep.

I guess I could manually put the iMac to sleep
Correct...

Guri

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019
London
Hi,

Can you please advise me what to do.

When I visit a website and I use auto fill to login, it logs me in automatically, before I press "enter".

How can i turn it off? I'm happy my MacBook to do auto fill but I don't want it to log me in without me pressing the enter button.

Any idea?

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Hi,

Can you please advise me what to do.

When I visit a website and I use auto fill to login, it logs me in automatically, before I press "enter".

How can i turn it off? I'm happy my MacBook to do auto fill but I don't want it to log me in without me pressing the enter button.

Any idea?

This is new in Safari 12.1, and I don't believe it can be turned off. I'm also not a fan.

(edit) I meant 12.1. Got confused because I’m on a 12.2 preview.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.