Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
What do you actually have selected in the System Preferences/Start-up Disk? Do you have only one partition?
My internal SSD which only has one partition. Well, I don't claim to understand the apfs layout but there's only one thing that appears in System Pref/Startup disk and that's Macintosh HD (didn't rename to SSD).

Reactions: TimothyR734

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
My internal SSD which only has one partition. Well, I don't claim to understand the apfs layout but there's only one thing that appears in System Pref/Startup disk and that's Macintosh HD (didn't rename to SSD).

But do you actually have it selected? I am not an expert myself but only because you have one disk does not mean that it is automatically selected.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
But do you actually have it selected? I am not an expert myself but only because you have one disk does not mean that it is automatically selected.
Yes, it is selected, but I selected it again just to make sure. Still got the double boot thing. I don't know what it's doing while the screen is light grey (without the Apple logo) but it seems to take forever - it's somewhere between 30 and 45secs. And, of course, it does it twice so it's quite a nuisance.

So I'm now interested in 2 things:
1. Why the double boot?
2. What's it doing while on the light grey screen?

Other than that, everything's fine. Just a reminder - I'm still on HS, but I think these issues would apply to Mojave too.

Update:
I thought I'd start up in verbose mode (Cmd-V) - knowing that the messages fly by so fast that it's almost impossible to spot anything meaningful. This is what happened:

chime, light grey screen (no logo) for about 45secs, apfs patch output, verbose mode output, grey screen with logo and progress bar, normal after that.

So, a couple of things to note. It still did the first grey screen, so Cmd-V had no bearing on that, and I still don't know what it's doing during that time. There was no second chime before it it did the verbose mode output.

Last edited:

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Yes, it is selected, but I selected it again just to make sure. Still got the double boot thing. I don't know what it's doing while the screen is light grey (without the Apple logo) but it seems to take forever - it's somewhere between 30 and 45secs. And, of course, it does it twice so it's quite a nuisance.

So I'm now interested in 2 things:
1. Why the double boot?
2. What's it doing while on the light grey screen?

Other than that, everything's fine. Just a reminder - I'm still on HS, but I think these issues would apply to Mojave too.

Update:
I thought I'd start up in verbose mode (Cmd-V) - knowing that the messages fly by so fast that it's almost impossible to spot anything meaningful. This is what happened:

chime, light grey screen (no logo) for about 45secs, apfs patch output, verbose mode output, grey screen with logo and progress bar, normal after that.

So, a couple of things to note. It still did the first grey screen, so Cmd-V had no bearing on that, and I still don't know what it's doing during that time. There was no second chime before it it did the verbose mode output.

I forgot to ask if you reset NVRAM after you replaced your HDD/SSD? I believe it is a good practice and should be done every time you replace your HDD/SSD.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot to ask if you reset NVRAM after you replaced your HDD/SSD? I believe it is a good practice and should be done every time you replace your HDD/SSD.
I haven't. Actually never heard this before. My only concern would be if there's anything that needs to be re-done in NVRAM afterwards. For example, is the SIP setting stored there? And what about NVRAM boot args?

Update:
Well, having read @dosdude1's post from back in March, explaining that the SIP Disabler patch means you can safely reset NVRAM without affecting anything, I went ahead. Guess what? On a sample of 2 restarts, no double boot, no double chime, a much shorter light grey screen before going into apfs patch output and then the normal boot process. Which is most excellent. I can't honestly say that the progress bar moves any faster with my new SSD, but hey ho.

So, many thanks go to @avz for the suggestion.

Last edited:

tchek

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
Paris - France
To avoid trails and inverted colors, move out (backup and delete) only the bold kext from your Mojave only this kext and restart: /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext

Sure it work jackluke, thanks !! On iMac 10,2 2011 with Radeon HD 6770 M, but that removes totally all the transparency's effect

Last edited:

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 12.59.19 PM.png

[automerge]1575926624[/automerge]
Installed the new update successfully :)

Reactions: tchek

danano

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017
I have a MacPro3,1 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 flashed by MacVidCards and two Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB memory cards formatted Journaled HFS+ on a Sonnet PCIe card. For about a year, thanks to dosdude1's workaround, I have been running Mohave very successfully, including receiving System security updates via macOS Software Update. To update to new versions of Mojave I have created a modified installer and installed over the existing system.

Last Sunday morning I restarted my Mac, and Mohave would not boot. I downloaded the most recent Patcher Tool (1.3.7) and Install macOS Mojave (10.14.6.06), moved Install macOS Mojave to my Applications folder, and created a modified installer on a 16 GB USB thumb drive. I reinstalled Mohave, restarted and applied the macOS Post Install patch settings.

On restart holding Option, the only Mojave drive seen is the modified installer on a USB flash drive. Choosing High Sierra on a different startup disk allows the Mac to run. While running High Sierra, System Preferences / Startup Disk shows the newly installed Mojave disk. Setting Mojave as Startup Disk and restarting, again I do not see any Mojave system on disk/SSD.

I thought I knew how to do this, since I have updated Mojave several times in the past. Can someone please suggest what I am doing wrong?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
I have a MacPro3,1 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 flashed by MacVidCards and two Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB memory cards formatted Journaled HFS+ on a Sonnet PCIe card. For about a year, thanks to dosdude1's workaround, I have been running Mohave very successfully, including receiving System security updates via macOS Software Update. To update to new versions of Mojave I have created a modified installer and installed over the existing system.

Last Sunday morning I restarted my Mac, and Mohave would not boot. I downloaded the most recent Patcher Tool (1.3.7) and Install macOS Mojave (10.14.6.06), moved Install macOS Mojave to my Applications folder, and created a modified installer on a 16 GB USB thumb drive. I reinstalled Mohave, restarted and applied the macOS Post Install patch settings.

On restart holding Option, the only Mojave drive seen is the modified installer on a USB flash drive. Choosing High Sierra on a different startup disk allows the Mac to run. While running High Sierra, System Preferences / Startup Disk shows the newly installed Mojave disk. Setting Mojave as Startup Disk and restarting, again I do not see any Mojave system on disk/SSD.

I thought I knew how to do this, since I have updated Mojave several times in the past. Can someone please suggest what I am doing wrong?
I would check to see if your Mojave ssd got formatted APFS instead of HFS

danano

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017
Problem solved. Reading and re-reading dosdude1's instructions I realized I had never intentionally done anything with the BootROM. The instructions say the newer BootROM is needed for APFS disks, an all mine were and are still HFS+. Everything had seemed to work fine for about a year, so why change and ask for trouble? Still, my system seemed to be not recognizing the Mohave boot disks, which sounds like a boot ROM issue. I took a chance and downloaded and installed the BootROM updater provided by dosDude1. I set the startup disk to my new Mojave install, restarted, and everything is fine.

Hombre53

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
Long time reader, first time posting here in this thread. I checked for a software update today and received this message: "Preferences Error". "Thee was an error in Software Update Preferences". I am at the latest version (18G102) and reloaded the software patches from dosdude Mojave Patcher ver 1.37 and rebuilt caches. No change. Has anyone seen this before? I am running Mojave on a late 2009 iMac (11,1). Thanks guys!

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
Successfully update MBP5,3 to SecUpd2019-002Mojave (18G2022) reapply Postinstall with Force Cache rebuild.
I needed to reapply Night patch

Capture d’écran 2019-12-11 à 00.50.11.png

EDIT:
After the update (18G2022), iSight works, but Siri's waveform is not present.
I fixed by replacing Siri.app (by v146.15.3 of 18G103) in /S/L/CoreServices and SiriUI.Framework in /S/L/PrivateFrameworks (by v146.12.3 of 18G103 patched by dosdue1's Patch Updater.app)
Siri works again with waveform

Capture d’écran 2019-12-11 à 10.06.34.png

Last edited:

Hombre53

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
Long time reader, first time posting here in this thread. I checked for a software update today and received this message: "Preferences Error". "Thee was an error in Software Update Preferences". I am at the latest version (18G102) and reloaded the software patches from dosdude Mojave Patcher ver 1.37 and rebuilt caches. No change. Has anyone seen this before? I am running Mojave on a late 2009 iMac (11,1). Thanks guys!

SOLVED: Used manual update method per terminal command: sudo softwareupdate -i -a to install security update (18G2022) and Safari 13.0.4. Post installed with force cache rebuild and reapplied night patch per prompt. Running great.

Last edited:

aflito

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2019
Just updated my imac to the latest security update, had to re-apply the post install patch and reinstall night shift patch as requested by the tool

Everything is working fine, now i just need to reinstall the brightness patch aswell

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
View attachment 882034
[automerge]1576051421[/automerge]
Successfully installed as well but no Siri wave animation for this update and iSight is broke again but everything else is working well :)

For me, iSight works, but Siri's waveform is not present either.
I fixed by replacing Siri.app (by v146.15.3 of 18G103) in /S/L/CoreServices and SiriUI.Framework in /S/L/PrivateFrameworks/SiriUI.framework (by v146.12.3 of 18G103 patched by dosdue1's Patch Updater.app)
Siri works again with waveform

Last edited:

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
I have realised one important issue. Even to install security update on unsupported Mac for instance that of Mojave one needs to use the patcher and download the full OS and then install. I tried direct update of security update of Mojave on Mojave partition straight from software update in preference and after restart it only stuck at apple logo for hours with busy circle too stuck without movement. Had to reinstall using bootable usb installer

Tyke666

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Well I had a look at C7771 and it was working at the correct voltage so that's not the issue.
Any problems remaining all still revolve around sleeping/waking.
The machine does not sleep or wake up properly. Putting it to sleep will result in a message similar to:
Stackshot Reason: Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while entering darkwake on way to sleep. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x74.

UPDATE:
OK, it looks like the random shutdowns were due to some hardware instability on my Macbook Pro Mid 2009 (5,2) but apparently not cap c7771. Not got to the bottom of what is wrong, probably a solder re-run needed, who knows.
So I went and bought an identical model to put my new SSD into and hopefully keep it going sometime longer with Mojave.

The only issue I now have is the one mentioned above. I cannot get the machine to sleep for an extended period. After a while it will shut down with the dreaded:
Stackshot Reason: Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while entering darkwake on way to sleep. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x74.
Has anyone found a definitive solution to this on my particular model? Can't see anything specific on page 1. I would dearly love to leave the machine in sleep mode for the fast wake-up.
Thanks

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland
UPDATE:
OK, it looks like the random shutdowns were due to some hardware instability on my Macbook Pro Mid 2009 (5,2) but apparently not cap c7771. Not got to the bottom of what is wrong, probably a solder re-run needed, who knows.
So I went and bought an identical model to put my new SSD into and hopefully keep it going sometime longer with Mojave.

The only issue I now have is the one mentioned above. I cannot get the machine to sleep for an extended period. After a while it will shut down with the dreaded:
Has anyone found a definitive solution to this on my particular model? Can't see anything specific on page 1. I would dearly love to leave the machine in sleep mode for the fast wake-up.
Thanks
My machine also is an MBP5,2 (17“).
I had this darkwake timeout a while ago and found a cure by @alphascorp in the Catalina thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread....2183772/page-268?post=27961310#post-27961310
So sudo pmset -a darkwakes 0 cured this symptom for me.
I found later that on my machine the magnet sensor, sensing closing of the lid, was giving short intermittant signals, apparently confusing the os enough to show the darkwake timeout.
Instead of replacing the sensor, which comes on that machine as a combo with the infrared sensor and the white front LED, I just disconnected and insulated it (flex cable at lower left of the main board)*. No lid sensor (have to send it to sleep from power button or apple menu) and infrared sensor and no LED (a bit of a blind flight) now, but otherwise fine. Replacement will come later (some 20 USD I think).

Edit *: good to disconnect the battery even for this small operation.

Last edited:

Tyke666

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
My machine also is an MBP5,2 (17“).
I had this darkwake timeout a while ago and found a cure by @alphascorp in the Catalina thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread....2183772/page-268?post=27961310#post-27961310
So sudo pmset -a darkwakes 0 cured this symptom for me.
Thanks hvds, I'll give it a go. I had already found that post and entered the command, but not done a sleep just yet. I'll report if it works or not after some reasonable testing.
The note about the lid sensor was interesting, although if that's part of the problem it is on both the 5,2 Macbooks I have, as well as yours.

MTBnBeer

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2015
I installed the macOS Security and Safari updates on my 17" Early 2008 MacBook Pro, rebooted into my macOS Mojave Patcher USB updated with the latest macOS Mojave Patcher v 1.3.7, restarted and everything worked great EXCEPT the backlight which kept going almost completely DARK. Tried reinstalling a couple of times but the only FIX was re-installing bkltpatch10.14.2 and restarting.

@dosdude1 wasn't bkltpatch10.14.2 supposed to be included with the current macOS Mojave Patcher?

macOS 10.14.6 with Security Update.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.