Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Post screenshots, etc., of the little things that has changed in macOS 10.15 here.

NOTE: As always this is NOT a thread for bugs, questions, or troubleshooting the betas. All posts must present a new feature or function, or new behaviour not mentioned in the keynote. Please screenshot where necessary. Comments on features are welcome, but stay on topic. This is also not a thread for whining about missing features, complaining, in-fighting, or personal agendas. Keep this informative and to the topic at hand.

• iCloud Drive
    • Right clicking on a file or folder in Finder shows option to "Download Now", or "Remove Download" on your local Mac, saving local storage space.
  • Misc UI changes
  • Sidecar
    • Apparently only supported for ~2016 Mac models up
    • Supports Touch Bar display for non Touch Bar Macs
    • Faster than third party solutions
    • Native iPad resolution
    • Runs as app on iPad, can be switched between
    • Only pencil input and select multitouch gestures are possible (pinch-to-zoom, two-finger scrolling, three-finger undo/redo and copy/cut/paste), no single-finger input (#104)
    • May support file sharing in the future

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Any wallpapers available yet :)
Can download the only new Catalina one here, it's a HEIC but *should* work as a Dynamic Wallpaper in Mojave (I think): https://we.tl/t-h2ESJHawM3

- Screen Recording permission in Security (I think this is new):
LuHyc7B.png

- Auto switch between Dark and Light mode:
sKtarc9.png

- Siri suggestions in Safari:
iTTYOK5.png

- Trash in now 'Bin' in British English (I think this was changed for some regions - Australia? - in Mojave, but a first for us Brits):
GIxC2Fr.png

- 'Switch to Tab' in Safari:
xbquVCR.png

- Now QT7 is unsupported, some features have (finally!!) made their way to QTX, including things like creating image sequences:
R6VssbI.png

Will post more as I find it... (Edit - I've just found the 'all new features' page on Catalina's webpage, I think a few of these are listed there, so perhaps not strictly unknown 'little things' - I hope this is still in the spirit of the thread though!)

Last edited:

cmatuk

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Hi!! Anyone installed Catalina first then tried iOS??? I did and I can't upgrade (I can get to select the IPSW file from the new Finder UI but then it does nothing) . I tried with the PKG around and did nothing... Im downloading the full Xcode 11 as I type but has anyone done this??

Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Hi!! Anyone installed Catalina first then tried iOS??? I did and I can't upgrade (I can get to select the IPSW file from the new Finder UI but then it does nothing) . I tried with the PKG around and did nothing... Im downloading the full Xcode 11 as I type but has anyone done this??
Perhaps the Apple signing servers are not connected to the new Finder interface yet.

Can you check if "Create New Version" and CD ripping are still intact in the Music app? Would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: NotJohnnyQuest

cmatuk

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Perhaps the Apple signing servers are not connected to the new Finder interface yet.

Can you check if "Create New Version" and CD ripping are still intact in the Music app? Would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a CD unit but there IS still an "Import Settings" on Music and the Help section still mentions "burn"CDs and the Convert feature is still there too.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I am surprised that they didn't include the old maximize/zoom functionality in that list. Does that still at least work if you press the Option key while hovering over the green button with the cursor?
Yes. The menu options change as well (Zoom, Move Window to Left Side of Screen, Move Window to Right Side of Screen).

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Does anyone know whether ios 13's auto and persistent hotspot features are propagated to Catalina?

It would be a very welcome feature considering we're on the cusp of 5g and using hotspots will become exponentially common.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Does anyone know whether ios 13's auto and persistent hotspot features are propagated to Catalina?

It would be a very welcome feature considering we're on the cusp of 5g and using hotspots will become exponentially common.

Not sure about the latter, but there is an auto hotspot option in Network.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 10.30.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 10.30.33 PM.png
    773.8 KB · Views: 1,295

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
I am surprised that they didn't include the old maximize/zoom functionality in that list. Does that still at least work if you press the Option key while hovering over the green button with the cursor?
Hold down the option key while that drop down is showing... You get "Zoom" and "Move window to the left/right side of screen" which does exactly what you'd think. These options are also in the "Window" menubar item.

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Is tile window to left/right the same as split screen or just resizing and placing a window in that location?

Thanks.

The “tile window...” options shown use split screen. Holding down the option key changes the option to “move window...” which resizes the window and places it in that location.

Reactions: afir93 and bmac89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.