Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
It suggests passwords from other words rather than just random characters.

As I said they’re not particularly memorable IMO
1570955713907.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve nor scanned this entire thread, but I think a mention or discussion (if it’s not here) about where data can be entered now in the Machintosh HD volume under Catalina. You just can’t create a folder in that top folder level, (unless it is a smart folder), you have to get down into the User folder. I’ve been able to add data to the Document folder, but have not explored where else you can or can’t add data To.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I’ve nor scanned this entire thread, but I think a mention or discussion (if it’s not here) about where data can be entered now in the Machintosh HD volume under Catalina. You just can’t create a folder in that top folder level, (unless it is a smart folder), you have to get down into the User folder. I’ve been able to add data to the Document folder, but have not explored where else you can or can’t add data To.
You can add them to /System/Volumes/Data which is your writeable root partition.

Reactions: Peadogie

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You can add them to /System/Volumes/Data which is your writeable root partition.
I see Macintosh HD/System/Volumes/Macinstosh HD. I don't understand what I"m seeing. The Second Macintosh HD looks like a little replica HD of the Macinstosh HD at the top level. Is this right?

Top File Structure.jpg

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I see Macintosh HD/System/Volumes/Macinstosh HD. I don't understand what I"m seeing. The Second Macintosh HD looks like a little replica HD of the Macinstosh HD at the top level. Is this right?

That's what you see in Finder. The actual path is /System/Volumes/Data. It's confusing as heck, I know.

But yes, essentially Catalina splits your volume into two partitions, only one of which is writeable to preserve the integrity of the system. The Macintosh HD you are seeing there is the writeable one.

bakerzdosen

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
Thanks for confirming that.

And I didn't find ALL of them memorable, but they often would be a good start to some of my favorite passwords. (That's the problem with passwords I suppose: you come up with a great one and then you can share it with anyone...)

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
So now, for the first time in history, I cannot create a folder inside the root of my hard disk.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That's what you see in Finder. The actual path is /System/Volumes/Data. It's confusing as heck, I know.

But yes, essentially Catalina splits your volume into two partitions, only one of which is writeable to preserve the integrity of the system. The Macintosh HD you are seeing there is the writeable one.
Completely confusing. For user sanity, it would make sense to me that if they want to split the Macintosh HD into a read only and write capable halves, then the write capable half must be distinguished with a designation like “data” like it shows when you look in Disk Utility- Macintosh HD-Data. That makes complete sense. It’s illogical and confusing to have two seperate or split volumes with the same name when you look at them in the Finder.

I’m just using the Document section of the Macintosh HD to add my data.

Reactions: Peadogie

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So now, for the first time in history, I cannot create a folder inside the root of my hard disk.
Smart Folder you can. I know that's not what you want. ? It's not necessarily a bad idea to protect the OS, but I don't understand why you can't see Macintosh HD- Data on your desktop and put data there. I've just settled for putting my data on my MBP in a folder under user>Documents.

Last edited:

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
The image on the App Store of the Catalina installer appears to have been updated from 15.0.32 to 15.0.33, hopefully the Supplemental Update has been slipstreamed in or whatever.

Reactions: Aquamite

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Smart Folder you can. I know that's not what you want. ? It's not necessarily a bad idea to protect the OS, but I don't understand why you can't see Macintosh HD- Data on your desktop and put data there. I've just settled for putting my data on my MBP in a folder under user>Documents.

Creating folders in 'users' folder, seem now as the only option. Am I wrong?
I have put a favorite shortcut of some folders in the left pane of finder, as I can't find any better solution as an alternative to my previous choice of having some important folders of mine directly in the root.
[automerge]1571204642[/automerge]
The image on the App Store of the Catalina installer appears to have been updated from 15.0.32 to 15.0.33, hopefully the Supplemental Update has been slipstreamed in or whatever.
Is this available through software update?
Or if there is a download link to download the dmg it is the same for me.

Reactions: Huntn

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
What does having them in the root of the drive 'solve' or 'help', vs having them in your home/user folder?
Lots of edge cases for developers here. We store our web server environments in /srv/ for instance - and that has to be the same across all platforms. So now we require special configurations for all developers who have upgraded to Catalina.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Creating folders in 'users' folder, seem now as the only option. Am I wrong?
I have put a favorite shortcut of some folders in the left pane of finder, as I can't find any better solution as an alternative to my previous choice of having some important folders of mine directly in the root.
[automerge]1571204642[/automerge]

Is this available through software update?
Or if there is a download link to download the dmg it is the same for me.
I do that too, plus stick Folder aliases on right side of the dock, but I did that before Catalina. I‘ve got 3 folder aliases and 2 sparseimage aliases there. :)

Also, yesterday I got a Catalina update through software update, about 900mb worth, if that is what you are referencing. I was surprised that it’s label was just OS15 with no little numbers visible on the main label.

Last edited:

Aquamite

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
Can anybody please post all the new stock app icons from macOS Catalina in their original .icns file format?

I mean the following apps whose icons are new for Catalina: Music, TV, Podcasts, Books, App Store, Reminders, Contacts and DVD Player.

Thank you.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Lots of edge cases for developers here. We store our web server environments in /srv/ for instance - and that has to be the same across all platforms. So now we require special configurations for all developers who have upgraded to Catalina.
I’m not going to argue with you, but it doesn’t have to be the same. I’ve developed tooling and documentation and provided support for developers on all three desktop OS for at least a decade and “we need this one absolute path to be the same on all machines” has literally never come up.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I’m not going to argue with you, but it doesn’t have to be the same. I’ve developed tooling and documentation and provided support for developers on all three desktop OS for at least a decade and “we need this one absolute path to be the same on all machines” has literally never come up.
I know. But either way it requires changes to our existing workflow.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Anyway to get subvert this: It's starting to be very anonying unless i start adding everything to System Preferences first (Files & Folders):

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 2.57.06 pm.png

Although it would be for security, i know what i do and give access to.. without being reminded

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Am I the only one that I find that 'reminders' are almost ruined in catalina?
The previous days, I checked tasks as completed, and they never gone away. In the previous versions, just pressing delete button erased them completely. Now I have to erase them by right clicking delete in touchpad.

More than this, now I cannot find how I can have my tasks sorted in the most logical way, today's, tomorrow's, and so on!!!!! I want a separator between days, as it was before!
Altogether with no sense!!!!

Please help!
:(

Reactions: GlenK

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Clicking Scheduled sorts like that for me.

View attachment 870597

Why I am not seeing such icons? Where they are located? Or how can I display them?

Here is what I see
Screenshot-2019-10-18-at-8-58-55-PM.jpg

Also, sorting method is always lost, when I run the app! Every time I have to manually select the 'due order' that is the way I want it. Why it loses the sorting order?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.