Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2019
BIG QUESTION:

will the 8GB of macOS Catalina occupy the storage once installed, like it will be additional 8gb on the storage to be consumed or it will just replace the GB taken by the old software? thanks :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
BIG QUESTION:

will the 8GB of macOS Catalina occupy the storage once installed, like it will be additional 8gb on the storage to be consumed or it will just replace the GB taken by the old software? thanks :)
Once the install is done, the ~8GB installer file is deleted.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Also, if you don't want the installer to be deleted, cancel the install at the start, then drag the Install macOS Catalina.app out of the Applications folder. Doing this will prevent the installer file from being automatically deleted. I then create a bootable USB installer with that file and then delete it so I don't have to download it again if I need it for some reason. Very easy process.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Exactly. That has always been the case for me. I wonder why there is a fourth on that computer.
I wanna know too now haha - I checked System Preferences to see if changing the double-click-title-bar behavior to minimize might trigger it, but nope.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
There are WAAAYYYY too many things where if I just click it...it does nothing. Everything related to iOS devices in the sidebar of Finder. Its like it doesn't even do anything. How does anyone just manually copy an audiobook to a device now?

Drag it? Green plus appears? Should be good right? Nothing happens. Nothing.

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
anyone with 10.15.2 beta installed can confirm if battery life is better ? my 13" rMBP 2015 battery drains faster compared to 10.14.6, I lost around 2h of use updating (already reset SMC and NVRAM)...

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
anyone with 10.15.2 beta installed can confirm if battery life is better ? my 13" rMBP 2015 battery drains faster compared to 10.14.6, I lost around 2h of use updating (already reset SMC and NVRAM)...

Surely some rogue app. If you have the time, try afresh install. 10.5.2 beta is stable and good on my Air 2017. Should be good on your machine too.

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
Surely some rogue app. If you have the time, try afresh install. 10.5.2 beta is stable and good on my Air 2017. Should be good on your machine too.
Activity monitor doesn't show any app taking too much battery. It should be the Catalina update... Unfortunately I can't do a fresh install right now. Everything is working fine, I'm not experiencing any crashes or weird bugs. My only issue is that battery life has been reduced with Catalina compared to Mojave.

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Activity monitor doesn't show any app taking too much battery. It should be the Catalina update... Unfortunately I can't do a fresh install right now. Everything is working fine, I'm not experiencing any crashes or weird bugs. My only issue is that battery life has been reduced with Catalina compared to Mojave.

All apps performing as expected? Then it is the update that’s somehow botched.. not the apps, yes. A fresh install will help you, whenever you have the time.

With annual updates to satiate people’s expectations of “new” the software quality has taken a huge hit over the years.

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
Your pre-orders are in Music. Even clicking the link from your email confirmation, Music will open.
I'm not talking about movies I have preordered. I'm talking about the actual list of upcoming preorders separated by release date. I can't find that in any of the apps.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
One interesting observation... Disk Utility in Catalina has changed. Previously, in Mojave (10.14.6) and earlier OSes, if you wanted to run First Aid on the startup/home volume, while the OS was running, it would give you a warning that the OS would slow down, and that applications may not run during the process, then leave the background and all applications intact, visible as the check runs.

Catalina takes on a classic, Mac OS 9 approach to its First Aid process, harkening back to the days of the Disk First Aid application. Once it asks you to confirm you want it to run First Aid on the startup/home volume, it hides the desktop and applications behind a blank, blurred background while it runs the disk verify/repair process. Mac OS 9 Disk First Aid did almost exactly the same thing; if you just wanted to verify the volume, it would leave all applications and the background intact, but if you wanted to repair the volume, it'd hide/close all running applications behind a blank background and run the process. All desktop icons would be hidden, as well. Same as Catalina.

I found it interesting. Definitely a "little thing" in the grand scheme of things, granted, but still interesting to see.

Last edited:

Aquamite

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
During the betas of macOS 10.15.2 I read that it will bring to the Mac all the new Screen Time features from iOS 13 and iPadOS 13. Now that 10.15.2 is out and there's no sign of any of those features. Did they take them out of macOS 10.15.2 during the fourth beta or what happened about those new features?

Does anybody know?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I can't say for absolute but the display on my MBA (late 2017) seems much brighter and sharper. Like a fix for the issues happened to non-retina displays a couple of releases ago. Looks great now

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
During the betas of macOS 10.15.2 I read that it will bring to the Mac all the new Screen Time features from iOS 13 and iPadOS 13. Now that 10.15.2 is out and there's no sign of any of those features. Did they take them out of macOS 10.15.2 during the fourth beta or what happened about those new features?

Does anybody know?
Have you checked system preferences? I see screen time.

Reactions: Peadogie
Although I am not having any issues with Catalina (OS 10.15.2), I am seeing a little bug.

Typically, each Mac OS has a default desktop picture. One can of course change it. I did exactly that, but when I both boot up each of my Macs and shut each of them, the default Catalina desktop picture appears. On start up, it briefly appears before asking for my admin password. On shut down, it is on the screen through the entire shut down process.

Again, not really an issue, but I've never seen that before. Anyone else notice that, and any explanation as to why it is occurring?

Last edited:

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
The wallpapers have been renamed!

Desert 1 > Desert Rock
Desert 2 > Desert Flats
Desert 3 > Desert Reflection
Desert 4 > Desert Rock Formation
Desert 5 > Desert Dunes (can't believe they kept this terrible photo)
Desert 6 > Desert Moonlight
Desert 7 > Desert Night Sky
Abstract 1 > Abstract Blue
Abstract 2 > Abstract Green
Abstract 3 > Abstract Pink
Abstract 4 > Abstract Purple
Flower 5 > Flower Orange
Flower 6 > Flower Blue
Flower 7 > Flower Magenta
Flower 8 > Flower Purple
Flower 9 > Flower Pink
Flower 10 > Flower Teal
Reflection 1 > Reflection Grey
Reflection 2 > Reflection Orange
Reflection 3 > Reflection Green
Reflection 4 > Reflection Purple

Sierra 2 > Sierra Peaks
Colour Burst 1 > Colour Burst Red
Colour Burst 2 > Colour Burst Blue
Colour Burst 3 > Colour Burst Purple

El Capitan 2 > El Capitan Night Sky

Yosemite 3 > Yosemite Trees
Yosemite 4 > Yosemite Half Dome

Aquamite

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
The wallpapers have been renamed!

Desert 1 > Desert Rock
Desert 2 > Desert Flats
Desert 3 > Desert Reflection
Desert 4 > Desert Rock Formation
Desert 5 > Desert Dunes (can't believe they kept this terrible photo)
Desert 6 > Desert Moonlight
Desert 7 > Desert Night Sky
Abstract 1 > Abstract Blue
Abstract 2 > Abstract Green
Abstract 3 > Abstract Pink
Abstract 4 > Abstract Purple
Flower 5 > Flower Orange
Flower 6 > Flower Blue
Flower 7 > Flower Magenta
Flower 8 > Flower Purple
Flower 9 > Flower Pink
Flower 10 > Flower Teal
Reflection 1 > Reflection Grey
Reflection 2 > Reflection Orange
Reflection 3 > Reflection Green
Reflection 4 > Reflection Purple

Sierra 2 > Sierra Peaks
Colour Burst 1 > Colour Burst Red
Colour Burst 2 > Colour Burst Blue
Colour Burst 3 > Colour Burst Purple

El Capitan 2 > El Capitan Night Sky

Yosemite 3 > Yosemite Trees
Yosemite 4 > Yosemite Half Dome
What update did that come to Catalina with? Was it there already in 10.15 or is it new in 10.15.2?

Reactions: RobFog

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I do like this convenient feature:

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 7.13.30 pm.png

Its a change to just having to right-click icon on desktop and Eject a third-party burner..

Since, by design, only Apple superdrives will automatically eject.. The manual physical eject button doesn't work and never did, even in Mojave. But now this is better than right clicking.

Reactions: RobFog

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I do like this convenient feature:

View attachment 890803

Its a change to just having to right-click icon on desktop and Eject a third-party burner..

Since, by design, only Apple superdrives will automatically eject.. The manual physical eject button doesn't work and never did, even in Mojave. But now this is better than right clicking.
Hasn’t that been there for years? I find it hard to believe they’d add it now after nearly a decade of no optical drives.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Hasn’t that been there for years? I find it hard to believe they’d add it now after nearly a decade of no optical drives.

I don't think so. The only reason i could think why it hasn't been there is because Apple expects you to buy their superdrive. ow, they probably realized allot of people choose 3rd party DVD burners instead, so lets give them an easier way to eject. Of course, you have to enable the option first after you plug the USB in.

Reactions: jagooch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.