Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
I used to reformat the drive and start with a clean install instead of doing an in situ upgrade when each mayor release came out, from the public beta all the way to Mountain Lion (i skipped Lion), but the last six years every update has worked without any hinks so i have become a bit lazier i guess.

Unfortunately, that means you have used the upgrade process for WAY too long. As it is, you could be carrying some "bugs" from, for example, Sierra, which would be 3 upgrades ago.

And what about third party software/compatibility? That is something many folks do not consider, but it is critical.

I should have done it the old way, and by the looks of it it looks like I'm in for a complete reinstall. I might give SuperDuper a shot, thanks for the tip.

You're welcome. However, you current "multi-upgraded" system might contain problematic files. You can use a product like Onyx to help with some of that, along with doing as much disk cleanup as you can. It wold be best, though, to also use a commercial program, like TechTool Pro. I depend upon both of them, and with TechTool Pro, it will most likely not be compatible with Catalina until December or January. But that's OK, as Mojave is just fine.

Reactions: SomeSwede

billgr0248

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2018
I am presently having a problem with my Contacts & macOS 10.15.1 (19B88)...they seem to be disappearing. They show up on my iPad & iPhone but disappear from my MBP. I re-created 2 of them yesterday on my MBP & they have disappeared come morning.

Any suggestions?

billgr0248

sblundgren

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2017
Minnesota
Since macOS Catalina I experience problems with the use of PDF files via the Preview app. Preview doesn't even highlight the word I'm looking for via cmd + f. In addition, I cannot select or copy the text when I use Preview. I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, or is this a known bug?

This is not my video, but the same problem: https://streamable.com/31ros

You are not the only one. Searching is very glitchy. Sometimes it finds, often it does not. Select/copy often stops working after a search.

rishi.talreja

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2014
Mumbai, India
I'm on 10.15.1 and I found another pesky bug that I've not yet noticed in any of the betas. Pressing space for quicklook for stacks/folders in the Dock (Downloads for example) passes the space bar to the app in the background.

Example: Press space on an open item to preview it from the default Downloads stack while on desktop, it triggers a quicklook for both that file and the very first file on desktop.
Same thing when in Music, it shows a preview and begins playback if paused.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
My screen brightness goes to max every time I start my iMac. Also still have issues with the trash having content but it appears empty and can't be emptied. Ejecting and remounting the drive in question temporary fixes the issue and allows the drive to be emptied. Have had that last one for the past 4 major versions.

jaredwsmith

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
Charleston, SC
My screen brightness goes to max every time I start my iMac. Also still have issues with the trash having content but it appears empty and can't be emptied. Ejecting and remounting the drive in question temporary fixes the issue and allows the drive to be emptied. Have had that last one for the past 4 major versions.

See the same with screen brightness in 10.15.1 with both of my MacBooks Pro. Hoping there is a fix in 10.15.2.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
How can I make finder to open in bigger size, and not in its default small size window?
Each time I start mac, I drag its corners, and then again from the beginning.

SomeSwede

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
Land of ice and snow.
I thought i had a brilliant idea, clearing the update cache in case the download had been corrupted and thus preventing the 10.15.1 update from installing.

Bash:
iMac:Updates m$ cd /Library/Updates/
iMac:Updates m$ ls
061-38725        ProductMetadata.plist    index.plist
iMac:Updates m$ cd 061-38725/
iMac:061-38725 m$ ls -lah | grep mac
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    68K 30 Okt 20:27 macOSBrain.pkg
-rw-r--r--@  1 root  wheel   104B 30 Okt 20:27 macOSBrain.pkg.integrityDataV1
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   477M 30 Okt 20:54 macOSUpd10.15.1.RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg
-rw-r--r--@  1 root  wheel   1,8K 30 Okt 20:27 macOSUpd10.15.1.RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg.integrityDataV1
-rw-r--r--@  1 root  wheel   3,4G 31 Okt 20:47 macOSUpd10.15.1Patch.pkg
-rw-r--r--@  1 root  wheel    12K 30 Okt 20:27 macOSUpd10.15.1Patch.pkg.integrityDataV1
iMac:061-38725 m$ sudo rm macOSUpd10.15.1Patch.pkg
Password:
override rw-r--r--  root/wheel restricted for macOSUpd10.15.1Patch.pkg? y
rm: macOSUpd10.15.1Patch.pkg: Operation not permitted
iMac:061-38725 m$

But there are mightier gods than sudo, so it looks like i will be reinstalling Mojave this weekend. Linux is becoming more tempting by each passing year...

I thought i had a brilliant idea, clearing the update cache in case the download had been corrupted and thus preventing the 10.15.1 update from installing.

Do you have "Automatically keep my Mac up to date" checked (ie, turned on) in the Software Update Preference Pane? I do not, and thus an update cannot happen without me "allowing" it.

Last edited:

trickbox

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
Unable to burn disk images from the Finder

Sorry if this issue has been reported elsewhere. When I create a Blu-ray disk image in Final Cut Pro X and right click it to burn if from Finder I get an error saying that the Disk is invalid in Catalina. Taking the same disk image to a Mojave machine the disk burning screen pops up and I am able to burn the disk successfully.

Anyone else come across this issue or found a solution?

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
ok, i just created 2 folders for work on my external hd, named "2018" & "2019", i switched from the finder to firefox, then back to the finder, & the "2018" folder was gone. i tried to recreate/create another new folder named 2018, & it says the folder already exists.

1573340513959.png

so, i have 3 folders: "2019" & "untitled folder" & the folder named "2018" is hidden;
Finder says i only have 2 folders though

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
ok, i just created 2 folders for work on my external hd, named "2018" & "2019", i switched from the finder to firefox, then back to the finder, & the "2018" folder was gone. i tried to recreate/create another new folder named 2018, & it says the folder already exists.

View attachment 876134

so, i have 3 folders: "2019" & "untitled folder" & the folder named "2018" is hidden;
Finder says i only have 2 folders though
ok, i went to firefox, in the Download window, & chose reveal in finder for the file i saved in the hidden 2018 folder, & it appeared in the finder after getting the spinning gear for a few seconds :)
1573342189828.png

SomeSwede

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
Land of ice and snow.
Finally back to Mojave.

Not easy these days to find a dmg, when the only official way is to download it trough Software Update and it keeps failing. And if i wanted it would take me one minute to start downloading a Windows 10 1903 iso from Microsoft. Sigh. Apple need to change.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Windows 10 iso would be equivalent to a Catalina download. I'm sure it's more difficult to find a Windows 7, 8, Vista download, not that anybody would want one of those other than Windows 7. I had no problem finding a Mojave download myself just to test it again on my 2019 iMac. I created a new partition which lasted about 5 minutes. I did some testing and nothing worked any better on Mojave than Catalina for me. Of course I keep my apps up to date and create both Time Machine and CarbonCopyCloner backups just in case something didn't work right. I know there are bugs, but complaining about them on here really doesn't do anything. Submit feedback to Apple and the other app developers.

Reactions: Peadogie
Finally back to Mojave.

Not easy these days to find a dmg, when the only official way is to download it trough Software Update and it keeps failing. And if i wanted it would take me one minute to start downloading a Windows 10 1903 iso from Microsoft. Sigh. Apple need to change.
Yeah, definitely Apple making it so frustrating and difficult! I guess Apple does not adhere to the KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple Stupid.

For that reason, that is why I always make a copy of the full OS Installer file in another location on my Mac. That way I have it just in case.

stuartmitch

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Mornington
Have just installed 10.15.2 Beta (19C32e) and seem to have lost the ability to Sidecar to my iPad, using either AirPlay or System Preferences. I get the error message "Unable to Connect to “iPad” A miscellaneous error occurred (32002)."

Anyone else?

Cheers....Scotty

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Is anyone else facing this issue with Safari on macOS Catalina (any version):

Amazon website keeps asking me to login again after some hours of non-use, the moment I try going into orders or anything else. The front page loads fine, it apparently keeps my user information since it shows me logged in, but I just have to keep entering my password each time I interact with Orders or anything else after a while.

I have had this issue ever since Catalina - beta or no beta. This never happened on Mojave.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
Any others having Spotlight and Mail search issues in 10.15.1? I'm not seeing much about it on these forums. If anyone else has had those issues, does 10.15.2 beta 1 fix it?

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Anyone else having problems with finder refreshing? I saved a Word document into a PDF today. I navigate to where I saved it and it doesn’t show up. I change the folder to Desktop and then navigate back to the original folder and now it shows up. I had this problem with a few Photoshop files I saved as well. Is there a fix for this?

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
For that reason, that is why I always make a copy of the full OS Installer file in another location on my Mac. That way I have it just in case.

Sorry, but this probably won't work as you expect. These days Apple puts time-limited signatures on the installation media so that they will fail to work after some time (maybe a week or 2).

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Sorry, but this probably won't work as you expect. These days Apple puts time-limited signatures on the installation media so that they will fail to work after some time (maybe a week or 2).

They will keep working for as long as the certificate is valid. I had to download all of mine again after October 24, which is when the certificate expired for the ones I had. Now they will work for 10 more years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.