Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Ended up downgrading. Catalina Finder is too buggy and impedes workflow. This is the worst software Apple has ever released and they should be ashamed they delivered an unusuable product for so many people.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Ended up downgrading. Catalina Finder is too buggy and impedes workflow. This is the worst software Apple has ever released and they should be ashamed they delivered an unusuable product for so many people.

That’s the experience I expected, but despite my mix of all kinds of software I haven’t really had any major issues. Just a couple of minor bugs.

Reactions: GlenK

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
Anyone else having problems with finder refreshing? I saved a Word document into a PDF today. I navigate to where I saved it and it doesn’t show up. I change the folder to Desktop and then navigate back to the original folder and now it shows up. I had this problem with a few Photoshop files I saved as well. Is there a fix for this?
yeah, & if you try to save it again, it will say the file is already there.

yeah-- i save a file, or create a folder, but it's not showing up (it's there, but invisible)
if i save a picture to my HD, it will save, but won't appear in the Finder, & if i try to save the file again, it will say "000.jpg already exists" (which it does, but it's not showing up in the Finder. if i quit & restart the Finder, then it will appear.

so, i was using Firefox, & if i go to Downloads, then 'show in finder', then it will appear in the Finder

also, if i choose a folder to save a file, it will jump to the enclosing folder, not the folder i chose

these are 2 new bugs.

Reactions: bpeeps and ErikGrim

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
10.15.1. is garbage.

Problems with Safari, AirPods, iCloud syncing... Ridiculous.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
Any others having Spotlight and Mail search issues in 10.15.1? I'm not seeing much about it on these forums. If anyone else has had those issues, does 10.15.2 beta 1 fix it?
yeah, if i try to search for something on my external hd, it will show files in my hd
[automerge]1573768833[/automerge]
Have just installed 10.15.2 Beta (19C32e) and seem to have lost the ability to Sidecar to my iPad, using either AirPlay or System Preferences. I get the error message "Unable to Connect to “iPad” A miscellaneous error occurred (32002)."

Anyone else?

Cheers....Scotty
i keep getting "iPad timed out" ... i sent a Feedback maybe 2 months ago, & got a reply from Apple saying it "may" be fixed... & they said make sure your devices meet the requirements

Shy1519

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
I have an issue with Reason Studios where some file names are showing Japanese/Chinese font, and my iMac Hd keeps renaming itself. This started happening right after the update.

Last edited:

i9inkers

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
Things I'm having issues with;

iMessage contacts becoming telephone numbers in iMessage when the contact and number is in my contacts correctly (Solved for a while by rebooting)

Shared Calendar invites and changes are not always notifying. The new calendar entry is in the calendar but no notification.

Are any of you guys experiencing the same issues as these?

My shared calendar alerts are on

dallastigers

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
TX
I have been running betas and like in prior betas i have gone back and downloaded full version to see if will help with some issues (using reinstall macOS holding option key but might be using wrong term), but today it downloaded a beta 10.15.1 instead of 10.15.2 beta. It didn’t even download released 10.15.1. It said beta before I approved download. I didn’t think it would backtrack to a beta before released version. I immediately had notification to update to 10.15.1 (which ended up being released version)
This process worked to redownload same version with betas and released versions for 10.15 and 10.15.1. I am not sure why it didn’t today. It’s just causing me to redo everything. I am hoping to avoid a wipe, but I am not sure how well a system downgrade to a beta 10.15.1 & then update to released 10.15.1 & then another update to get back to 10.15.2 beta2 is going to work out. I know this is beta, but even released versions and installs have either not been smooth or been a huge pain.
I had much easier times with the windows 10 updates including ones that I have heard some complain about. They have been easy & problem free compared to Catalina both beta and also released versions.

Last edited:

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
While searching for a fix for a minor annoyance, I stumbled upon the tip to re-download and simply re-install Catalina over the existing installation. It fixed the problem I was having, and it's definitely running better now!
What was the problem you were having?

fruit of Zappa's loins

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
If you are finding yourself with system crashes trying to go from the first beta to the second beta use the instructions below as a work around.

Assuming you already downloaded the installer, via Preferences:
  1. Plug in a blank drive of at least 8 GB, and note down the volume name of the storage media
  2. Open your terminal and run the command "sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/<name of volume>" and follow the instructions on the terminal and wait for it to finish. The volume will be wiped.
  3. Reboot your Mac into your external disk which is in effect a recovery mode of the newest beta.
  4. Wait for the disk evaluation to finish, which can take up to 15 minutes. You may need to log your account in.
  5. If you are using File Vault, go to disk utility and mount both partitions of your macOS drive and exit the utility. This is important, and failure to do this could wipe your partitions.
  6. Click the install option and proceed through the process as normal. If you are using File Vault you may need to periodically unlock the disk for the updater to continue.
If you are finding yourself with constant fileproviderd crashes and an unresponsive Finder, disable iCloud in your settings and re-enable it.

I have had numerous crashes. As a Princeton educated applied mathematician in my 70s I am just gobsmacked at the sheer audacity of unleashing such slob code on the populace. I have always straddled Mac and Windows and I have written Apple off. Christ, Apple coders wouldn't have got a job in NASA in the 60s doing core programs. "Sorry Neil, we've had a crash and you're going to have a crash and we have no idea whether you're going in head first or tail first...not that it matters".

Reactions: orbital~debris

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
I think it has something to do with location information, which is glitching. But it occurs even when network connections are disabled.

Is anyone else having this problem?

How to reproduce:
1. Open Photos app and select multiple photos.
2. Try to add a new keyword
2a. You might be able to add a keyword if you paste in a string, but typing is a no-go.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
I've been very lucky to not have experienced as many issues with Catalina as others have (though iOS 13 and HomePod have been a nightmare for me). Still, there are three insignificant bugs that have driven me mad.

Podcasts:
(1) When the Podcast app is open, and when I right click on the app, the icon displayed next to the checkmark in the menu is a generic Mac window icon. First, I'm not even sure what the point of having a checkmark next to the name of the application is. Why is that a line in the menu anyway? Second, I can't imagine they wanted a generic Mac window icon to be displayed.

Mail:
(2) Often times I will see notifications appear for a new email long after I've read it.
(3) I will hear a "ding", the sort of sound you would expect when receiving a new email, after I have archived or deleted an email. (2) and (3) drive me absolutely insane.

Does anyone know if these issues are fixed in the 10.15.2 beta 4?

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
The first is not a bug. It tells you there is a window open called "Podcast" and it's the first window in the app. It's the standard dock behaviour.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Do you have an estimation about when the final macOS 10.15.2 will be released? Someone said that we’ll probably have iOS 13.3 by the next week, and I think maybe this Catalina version, which has been in beta since early November, could be released next week as well? What do you think?

I ask because I have to perform a clean installation, and I’m not sure if I should install 10.15.1 now or wait a few days to install version 10.15.2

Thank you.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Do you have an estimation about when the final macOS 10.15.2 will be released? Someone said that we’ll probably have iOS 13.3 by the next week, and I think maybe this Catalina version, which has been in beta since early November, could be released next week as well? What do you think?

I ask because I have to perform a clean installation, and I’m not sure if I should install 10.15.1 now or wait a few days to install version 10.15.2

Thank you.

Probably 3-6 months before it’s ready.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
The first is not a bug. It tells you there is a window open called "Podcast" and it's the first window in the app. It's the standard dock behaviour.
But I don’t see the same behavior for other apps in my dock.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I see it with Mail and Maps. I had never seen it before.

Last edited:

Thank you.
I am "kind of" facing the same question, as the last of my critical apps, TechTool Pro, now has a Catalina-compatible version, released earlier today. I have already downloaded it on both of my Macs, both running the latest version pf Mohave, V10.14.6.

However, the 4th beta version of oS 10.15.2 was released yesterday:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/06/apple-seeds-macos-catalina-10-15-2-beta-4/

Thus, I would expect OS 10.15.2 to be released very soon, and thus it would be wise to wait for that version.
[automerge]1575743713[/automerge]
You are way off, as the 4th beta version of oS 10.15.2 was released yesterday:

I am willing to get OS 10.15.2 will be released within a week.

Reactions: Populus

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
You are way off, as the 4th beta version of oS 10.15.2 was released yesterday:

I am willing to get OS 10.15.2 will be released within a week.

You missed my point... they can release it at any time, but that doesn't mean that it's "ready for prime time". For some gawd-awful reason, Apple is bent on releasing software "on schedule" rather than when it's fully baked.

Prove me wrong on this.

You missed my point... they can release it at any time, but that doesn't mean that it's "ready for prime time". For some gawd-awful reason, Apple is bent on releasing software "on schedule" rather than when it's fully baked.

Prove me wrong on this.
Easy. OS 10.15.1 is actually quite stable, at least for me (and via my testing). I'll bet OS 10.15.2 will be fine. But like ANY software release, it will not correct EACH AND EVERY BUG.

Prove me wrong about OS 10.15.1.

Reactions: Populus

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Easy. OS 10.15.1 is actually quite stable, at least for me (and via my testing). I'll bet OS 10.15.2 will be fine. But like ANY software release, it will not correct EACH AND EVERY BUG.

Prove me wrong about OS 10.15.1.

Honestly happy that you are happy, but I still have a few issues.

Why does it take 3 months and multiple releases EVERY YEAR to get a stable release? I still have a few problems on the one system that I upgraded... so I am not upgrading the rest... I need to get work done and can be bothered beta testing the production release of macOS for Apple.

Honestly happy that you are happy, but I still have a few issues.
Yeah, I'm good. But I haven't "completely" moved to Catalina yet. I could now, given that my last critical application, TechTool Pro, came out with a Catalina-compatible version earlier today, but such a move to 10.15.1 now makes no sense. OS 10.15.2 will be released shortly, so I can wait.

Why does it take 3 months and multiple releases EVERY YEAR to get a stable release? I still have a few problems on the one system that I upgraded... so I am not upgrading the rest... I need to get work done and can be bothered beta testing the production release of macOS for Apple.
I suspect the same is true for Windows releases. But I assume it is not possible to catch each and every short coming when a new version of the OS is developed. And for most of the subsequent releases (in most cases), it is correcting issues that are not affecting a lot of folks. As I have mentioned, my (limited) testing of OS 10.15.1 with my apps has been very, very stable. Of course, I am not putting the OS through each and every "stress" test either.

Again, in my case, it seems I always have to wait until at least the .2 release of each new Mac OS, due to how long it takes Micromat to release a compatible version of TechTool Pro (I will never, never start using a new Mac OS without having compatible versions of Onyx, SuperDuper!, 1Password, and TechTool Pro, at the minimum). Not an issue with me, along with the fact that I have yet to see any compelling reason to move to the new Mac OS. This has been true for a long, long time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.