Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Anyway, I think we can all put our differences aside, and claim in unison that Apple should change the release cycle to 2 years with longer beta-testing periods. At least in macOS.
Not a bad idea, although maybe every 15 to 18 months might be better, in order to take advantage of newer technologies, features, etc. I actually am not seeing much (if any) difference between Sierra and Catalina (or Mojave, for that matter). And I am also not seeing much (if any) benefit to this newer APFS business.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I think it has something to do with location information, which is glitching. But it occurs even when network connections are disabled.

Is anyone else having this problem?

How to reproduce:
1. Open Photos app and select multiple photos.
2. Try to add a new keyword
2a. You might be able to add a keyword if you paste in a string, but typing is a no-go.

I have almost this issue. I can type one keyword at a time, but as soon as I type a , to start a new one the field becomes deselected. It’s really annoying. I happens with both a single photos selected, and with multiple selected.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Apologies if this has already been talked about:

Clipboard is screwing with some - not all - of my apps, but specifically Capture One Pro. When it decides to give up it really messes everything. Copy and paste adjustments in a pro photo platform? Forget it!

I've talked to Phase One - they can't repeat the problem, but it IS a problem.

I'm currently downgrading out of Beta (.2) back to 15.1 - but I'm fairly sure that this isn't going away, judging by the history of this thread.

How can I get back to Mojave? I mean without a backup of Mojave? I don't use Time Machine because I don't generally need to. Is there a Mojave download out there?

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
updated yesterday to 10.15.2

Battery life is still way worse than Mojave. Also, these bugs aren't fixed yet:

Wrong icon for pdfs and zips:
1576080222266.png

Column view gets stretched because why not:

1576080280592.png

Maps using location services all the time is still present. So for me, 10.15.2 is basically the same as 10.15.1, not much improvement made. Only great thing about it is Music app remembering album position when browsing (wow!)

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
The pdf icons are correct but in order to have the previews you have to use preview as the default app (cmd+i and then selec “always open with preview”). For the columns view just drag the little space near the %cpu text (right upper)

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
The pdf icons are correct but in order to have the previews you have to use preview as the default app (cmd+i and then selec “always open with preview”). For the columns view just drag the little space near the %cpu text (right upper)

I dont think icons are correct. In mojave I was getting the PDF EXPERT icon without the blank page, this is a Catalina issue. I don’t use preview..

Also I know how to resize the column, it its a bug that stretches it out a lot when open a new window randomly.

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
I dont think icons are correct. In mojave I was getting the PDF EXPERT icon without the blank page, this is a Catalina issue. I don’t use preview..

Also I know how to resize the column, it its a bug that stretches it out a lot when open a new window randomly.
About the icons, maybe these are the new icons in PDF expert, if you use another app by default, it changes the icons in Finder, it will use its own icons. Same for the zip, if you switch to another app, the new app will change the icons. And maybe these are the new icons designed by the developers of pdf expert.

I don’t know about the stretch view, never happened to me.

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I am having a minor issue with the wifi menu displaying iPhone status. If I option click the wifi icon and then hover over my iPhone, the battery status always shows a fixed number like 75% no matter what the actual charge level is. I saw this happen on two different laptops, one of which is my 16", both running Catalina 10.15.2.

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
Hi all, I just realized that I don't get any sound from incoming emails.

Has anyone experienced this bug? I'm using exchange acc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all, I just realized that I don't get any sound from incoming emails.

Has anyone experienced this bug? I'm using exchange acc.

Thanks
I did a successful clean installation of OS 10.15.2 on each of my Macs, and I initially had that same issue with Thunderbird on one of my machines. But the next time i launched Thunderbird, and there were some incoming EMails, the familiar sound made by the program was back.

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
I did a successful clean installation of OS 10.15.2 on each of my Macs, and I initially had that same issue with Thunderbird on one of my machines. But the next time i launched Thunderbird, and there were some incoming EMails, the familiar sound made by the program was back.
Sorry my mistake, I was talking about default mail app specifically not a third party client.
Although I get notification sound when I delete or send emails. Weird behavior.

Thanks

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
I don’t understand how it’s acceptable for all of Apple’s consumers to be guinness pigs for 9 months while Apple gets its software in order. I make the mistake every year to upgrade to the next major software release when I should just ride comfortably on the last and most stable X.3 or X.4 version. This happens every year, though this year is especially bad.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I don’t understand how it’s acceptable for all of Apple’s consumers to be guinness pigs for 9 months while Apple gets its software in order. I make the mistake every year to upgrade to the next major software release when I should just ride comfortably on the last and most stable X.3 or X.4 version. This happens every year, though this year is especially bad.
We were tricked by iOS12 and Mojave being stable and well tested.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
Maybe look at the "sound settings" for that program. As I don't use that mail program, not sure what Catalina did with it.
Sounds for new incoming messages is enabled and other mail actions too.

It's just weird.

Hs anyone else experienced this bug? or is it meant that we don't get any sound from incoming emails?

Sounds for new incoming messages is enabled and other mail actions too.

It's just weird.

Hs anyone else experienced this bug? or is it meant that we don't get any sound from incoming emails?
That would be surprising, especially since Thunderbird works as usual. It might be helpful if others who use other EMail programs would "chime in".
[automerge]1576188496[/automerge]
I have never had an issue with the installation and running of a new version of the Mac OS, but I do not dare install the initial version. Here are some mistakes I've seen people make in this regard:

1. Not enough disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs. There are some excellent programs out there which can help with that, along with one doing a good amount of disk cleanup on their own.

2. Not having a solid, reliable plan for upgrading.

3. Rushing to install the initial version of the new Mac OS, even if there is nothing earth shattering or must have in the new version.

4. No backup.

5. Not considering compatibility of third party software.

Myself, I typically have to wait until the .2 or .3 version of the new Mac OS is released, as for one of my critical programs, TechTool Pro, does not have a compatible version ready right away. For Catalina, they released that version last week, but with OS 10.15.2 being so close to being released, I just waited for it. All my other third party software was either all ready compatible, or versions compatible with Catalina were released earlier than last week.

But even if ALL my third party software was compatible prior to the initial release, I'd wait anyway, as it has been shown time and time again that the initial version always contains too many bugs.

Last edited:

Kes.Siebring

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2017
Planet E-arth
I've updated my 16" mbp to 10.15.2 and now after waking from sleep laptop does not connect to the WiFi : Not only it does not connect, but it also does not list any networks (only iPhone hotspot is listed).
If I try to switch WiFi off it does not switch back on : clicking on "Turn WiFi on" makes icon animate (searching networks) for a second and then it goes to the "off state".

Only reboot helps.

Anyone else having a similar problem ?

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I have posted the below in another thread as well, but posting it here for help, hopefully.

Does anyone else with a MacBook Air 2017:

Find upon a restart or a cold boot that some apps that are usually in the Other folder in launchpad are now spread out in Launchpad?

Automator, Chess, Font Book, Image Capture, QuickTime Player, Stickies, TextEdit are the apps that are outside the Utilities folder in Finder > Applications.

The Utilities folder in Finder is what is shown as Other folder in launchpad, and has 17 apps that are reflected as is in Other folder in Launchpad when the aforementioned apps are spilled out randomly on a restart/ cold boot. When I use the Terminal command to reset Launchpad, the aforementioned app icons get consolidated back in the Other folder in Launchpad, but remain outside of Utilities folder in Finder > Applications anyway.

Would someone who has never seen this problem tell me if these aforementioned apps are in Finder > Applications or Finder > Applications > Utilities folder for them?

I am trying to not perform a complete reinstall at this point, since otherwise the system is not showing any issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.