Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Interesting. I just did a regular software update via the App Store for Security Update 2019-005 and it appears to have installed just fine. No errors.

So I currently only have 2018-003 and 2019-005 installed. So, does that mean I have tons of missing security updates, or is 2019-005 cumulative?

View attachment 869425

View attachment 869426
It's cumulative. You don't need to install any of the older ones.

Reactions: EugW

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Interesting. I just did a regular software update via the App Store for Security Update 2019-005 and it appears to have installed just fine. No errors.

So I currently only have 2018-003 and 2019-005 installed. So, does that mean I have tons of missing security updates, or is 2019-005 cumulative?

View attachment 869425

View attachment 869426

Each new security update includes all the previous updates. Say you did a fresh install of HS... only 005 would show up in the App Store.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

View attachment 869425

View attachment 869426
The successful Security Update install above was on the MacBook5,1.

However, no such luck on my MacBookPro5,5. I tried the Software Update method and it failed, although the macOS build number did change. However, the list of installed Security Updates did not change.

Before:

Before_Build.png

Before_Updates.png

After:

After_Build.png

This is the same build number as my MacBook5,1, which had the successful Security Update, but unfortunately, as mentioned the Security Update doesn't show up in the installed software list.

After_Updates.png

So, I tried downloading the 2019-005 update for High Sierra and installing it manually. It said it was not compatible with this machine so I edited the Distribution file as instructed in post #1. That allowed me to begin installing it, but it failed. I tried again and failed again, at the validation phase.

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 1.21.45 PM.png

Anything else I can do?

Strange that I didn't have to do anything at all for the MacBook5,1 except run the regular App Store software updater and it worked with no modifications.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
So, I tried downloading the 2019-005 update for High Sierra and installing it manually. It said it was not compatible with this machine so I edited the Distribution file as instructed in post #1. That allowed me to begin installing it, but it failed. I tried again and failed again, at the validation phase.

Anything else I can do?

I had the same failure multiple times on a 3,1 MacPro following the bog standard approach in Post #1 ... The modified approach set out in Post #4.407 works though

Luke72

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2019
Hi everybody! I've installed dosdude patched High Sierra in my Mac Pro Early 2009 4.1, Logic Pro and many plugins with libraries installed in a secondary HDD. Now I would upgrade to firmware 5.1 and install new cpu to add cores to my machine.
Two options:

1. new HDD with El Captain to run Firmware Upgrade tool and update at 5.1. Then a fresh install with a big work to reinstall system and all plugins !

2. After the firmware update with El Captain (installed in a EFI partition of HDD), can I restore my Time Machine backup with the dosdude High Sierra and then uninstall the dosdude patch with uninstall sh? Can this patched High Sierra recognize and run the new firmware to install new cpu?

Any advice... is welcome ! Thank you for support ! ?

sibok

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2018
Spain
Did a clean MacOS High Sierra install through dosdude1.com software. Everything worked fine until I applied genuine High Sierra updates through App Store, then brightness stopped working and got set at its lowest level.

Booting from dosdude High Sierra USB installer and applying the patches again, fixed the issue. I wonder if this Brightness patch would work on MacOS Catalina.

Thanks in advanced.

=RS=

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2019
I want to install security update 2019-005 on my MP 3,1. Do I have to run thru the procedure as discribed in post #4,407 if I want to keep RecoveryHD?
I have done that with 2019-004 and am curious if that has to be done again?

Last edited:

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Did a clean MacOS High Sierra install through dosdude1.com software. Everything worked fine until I applied genuine High Sierra updates through App Store, then brightness stopped working and got set at its lowest level.

Booting from dosdude High Sierra USB installer and applying the patches again, fixed the issue. I wonder if this Brightness patch would work on MacOS Catalina.

Thanks in advanced.
Last versions of @dosdude1 patches for Catalina and Mojave have working backlight patches. They work, at least in my iMac 7,1 and macbook 5,2

sibok

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2018
Spain
Last versions of @dosdude1 patches for Catalina and Mojave have working backlight patches. They work, at least in my iMac 7,1 and macbook 5,2

MacOS Mojave Patcher 1.3.3 does not include backlight patch.

Patch updater 1.2.0 does not show backlight patch it's never installed through MacOS Mojave Patcher, ergo, has nothing to update.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
MacOS Mojave Patcher 1.3.3 does not include backlight patch.

Patch updater 1.2.0 does not show backlight patch it's never installed through MacOS Mojave Patcher, ergo, has nothing to update.
SORRY, I meant Catalina although I think Mojave Patcher has it too.
Captura de ecrã 2019-10-27, às 18.47.09.png

It was updated last weak if I remember well

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Help!

I am on a 3,1 MacPro and been running @dosdude1 's patch for a while now before I took everything down recently while trying to install the software update.

I have managed to get it back up and running on Mojave using the dosdude patch from another machine running Yosemite but I need to go back to High Sierra as I have an NVidia Card that is not supported on Mojave.

However, I couldn't reinstall using my USB drive and all efforts to create a new drive keeps failing with the error message in the image below:
by default 2019-10-28 at 10.07.02 PM.jpg

I have tried several different drives with the same result.

sibok

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2018
Spain
Help!

I am on a 3,1 MacPro and been running @dosdude1 's patch for a while now before I took everything down recently while trying to install the software update.

I have managed to get it back up and running on Mojave using the dosdude patch from another machine running Yosemite but I need to go back to High Sierra as I have an NVidia Card that is not supported on Mojave.

However, I couldn't reinstall using my USB drive and all efforts to create a new drive keeps failing with the error message in the image below:
View attachment 873102

I have tried several different drives with the same result.
Format the USB drive, APFS if possible, reboot and then try to create the macOS patcher without opening Disk Utility.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Format the USB drive, APFS if possible, reboot and then try to create the macOS patcher without opening Disk Utility.

No joy
[automerge]1572295226[/automerge]
BTW is it normal for the patcher to rename my USB disk as "OS X Base System"?

This wasn't the case when I first installed the patched version but by the time it crashes, the USB has that name although I chose "HighSierraBoot" to start with.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Never format a USB drive for a macOS installer in APFS, it MUST be formatted HFS+ journaled
I figured that out. Thanks
Any idea why the patcher is failing?

I noticed from the log that virtually all the files it tries to copy fails or are not found.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I figured that out. Thanks
Any idea why the patcher is failing?

I noticed from the log that virtually all the files it tries to copy fails or are not found.
Can't say for sure but it seems that the download isn't complete. Try to delete all macOS dmgs you may have in the download folder and try again. Sometimes it has to do with specific brands os usb sticks. I had some difficulties last time I tried to create a install usb patcher and ended having to create it in a machine with El Capitan (non patched). maybe you gantry create the usb installer inside a virtual machine with different version of macOS? USB drive must be 16 GB or higher capacity

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Can't say for sure but it seems that the download isn't complete.

Well, clearing my trash seems to have allowed the installer to be created. Thanks for the tip!

Now hit a separate problem ... When I boot into USB and run the installer, I get a message telling me "MacOS could not be installed on your computer. Contact the software developer etc"

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Still having problems

Thinking about timelines, I may be wrong but it appears there is something different in the latest version of one or more of the following files that causes a new installation of High Sierra using the dosdude patch to fail:
  1. AppleDiagnostics.chunklist
  2. AppleDiagnostics.dmg
  3. BaseSystem.chunklist
  4. BaseSystem.dmg
My issue started after trying to install the latest security update. See Post 4729.

Basically, I had successfully installed the update following the instructions in Post 4407 for not having Recovery. Everything was fine until I then decided to use the instructions for having Recovery which involved copying those files to the patcher and the computer would not boot afterwards.

I notice when creating a new patcher that the versions of those files are not the same date as the rest of the files in the patcher and I suspect that the latest versions are pulled, or something like that, whenever a new patcher is created and that something in one or more of them is breaking things.

Wonder if one of the experienced guys like @nospamboz or @dosdude1 could have a look as while the new versions are obviously more interesting, High Sierra is a big compatibility breakpoint because of the Nvidia Issue.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
In case it helps anyone give me a pointer, are is what appears to be the relevant bit from the install log:

Code:
Oct 29 18:36:51 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: Preparing disk for OS Install.
Oct 29 18:36:51 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: Removing background color for incompatible machine Mac-F42C88C8
Oct 29 18:36:51 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: Evaluating 1 disks
Oct 29 18:36:51 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: Evaluating SKAPFSDisk { APFS UUID: XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX, CONTAINER UUID: XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX, DISK ID: disk5s1 ENCRYTPED: NO } 
Oct 29 18:36:51 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: Warning: Couldn't find boardID, chipID, & ECID in new namespace, falling back
Oct 29 18:36:51 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: Warning: Couldn't find boardID, chipID, & ECID in new namespace, falling back
Oct 29 18:36:51 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: Machintosh HD is a valid target.
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: Activated virtual memory backing store at mount point '/Volumes/Machintosh HD'
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: Enabled OS Install core dumps
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: Will try to attach log to: /Volumes/Machintosh HD/private/var/log/install.log
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: OSIInstallElement <OSIInstallElement: 0x7fc91d47a850> errored out:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=151 "No packages were eligible for install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=No packages were eligible for install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.}
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: ------- Install Failed -------
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: Operation: Install packages failed, Failure Reason: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=151 "No packages were eligible for install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=No packages were eligible for install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.}
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: client 0x7fc91a003e20: phaseName = "OS Installer"
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: ISAP: hide progress UI called
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: ISAP: hide progress UI called
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: client 0x7fc91a003e20: phaseName = "OS Installer" is already finished
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: calling progress app remoteObjectProxy
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: Connection = 0x7fc917c67540, callers = (
        "<IASUPCaller: 0x7fc917c84760>",
        "<IASUPCaller: 0x7fc91a016140>",
        "<IASUPCaller: 0x7fc917d7c430>"
    )
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: version = 2
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: isModernOS = 1
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: isModernOS = 1
Oct 29 18:36:52 Mac-Pro OSInstaller[604]: Connection = 0x7fc917c67540, callers = (
        "<IASUPCaller: 0x7fc917c84760>",
        "<IASUPCaller: 0x7fc91a016140>",
        "<IASUPCaller: 0x7fc917d7c430>",
        "<IASUPCaller: 0x7fc91a31fc60>"
    )

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Finally managed to reinstall High Sierra using the @dosdude1 patch.

For anyone having similar issues, there were two problems in my case:

1. The Patcher could not be created on the USB Stick
I had named my USB Drive as "HighSierraBoot" but I noticed that the creation process for the Patcher was unmounting this and changing the name to "OS X Base System". Presumably it would change this back to my chosen name later but while it was under that name, the process was failing. On a hunch, I reformatted the disk and called in "OS X Base System" and the process went through. I then renamed it back to "HighSierraBoot" afterwards using Disk Utility.

2. After getting the Patcher created and booting into this, the High Sierra Installer would fail with an error message saying "No packages were eligible for install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."
A web search showed that similar errors were linked to errors in the system date. My system date was correct (29 Oct 2019) and knowing I had previously installed this OS, I decided to change the date to 29 Oct 2018 on a hunch and voila, the installation worked fine.

To change the date, before Step 7, "Install macOS normally onto the desired volume", in dosdude's instructions, open Terminal from the Utilities menu of the Patcher and change the system date. The date string that worked for me was "date -u 102904022018".

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepYogurt

DeepYogurt

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Finally managed to reinstall High Sierra using the @dosdude1 patch.

For anyone having similar issues, there were two problems in my case:

1. The Patcher could not be created on the USB Stick
I had named my USB Drive as "HighSierraBoot" but I noticed that noticed that the creation process for the Patcher was unmounting this and changing the name to "OS X Base System". Presumably it would change this back to my chosen name later but while it was under that name, the process was failing. On a hunch, I reformatted the disk and called in "OS X Base System" and the process went through. I then renamed it back to "HighSierraBoot" afterwards using Disk Utility.

2. After getting the Patcher created and booting into this, the High Sierra Installer would fail with an error message saying "No packages were eligible for install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."
A web search showed that similar errors were linked to the system date. My system date was correct (29 Oct 2019) and knowing I had previously installed this OS, I decided to change the date to 29 Oct 2018 on a hunch and voila, the installation worked fine.

To change the date, before Step 7, "Install macOS normally onto the desired volume", in dosdude's instructions, open Terminal from the Utilities menu of the Patcher and change the system date. The date string that worked for me was "date - u 102904022018".

There should not be a space between the - and the u in the date command -- the command should look like this:

date -u 201904022018

Also, another suggestion is to boot the install disk in single user mode and change the date before the macOS installer program even runs.

Not sure, but this might have something to do with Apple's certificate expiration that happened October 24, 2019 -- see the article at https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2...r-apple-software-expiring-on-october-24-2019/ for more information.

I ran into this same silly message that made no sense, and changing the date like Dayo suggested worked great. Thanks so much for discovering this work-around.

I wonder if DosDude may need to rebuild his macOS installer's to incorporate new versions?

Thanks again...

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
There should not be a space between the - and the u in the date command -- the command should look like this:

date -u 201904022018

Thanks. You did fix the gap (commandline options do not have gaps) but messed up the date format.

The command should be:

"date -u 102904022018"

I.E., Not "2019" at the beginning but "10"

DeepYogurt

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Thanks. You did fix the gap (commandline options do not have gaps) but messed up the date format.

The command should be:

"date -u 102904022018"

I.E., Not "2019" at the beginning but "10"

I'm a bit dyxlexic it seems ;-) Thanks for catching that.

DeepYogurt

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008

date -u 201904022018

Also, another suggestion is to boot the install disk in single user mode and change the date before the macOS installer program even runs.

Not sure, but this might have something to do with Apple's certificate expiration that happened October 24, 2019 -- see the article at https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2...r-apple-software-expiring-on-october-24-2019/ for more information.

I ran into this same silly message that made no sense, and changing the date like Dayo suggested worked great. Thanks so much for discovering this work-around.

I wonder if DosDude may need to rebuild his macOS installer's to incorporate new versions?

Thanks again...

Well, I built a new version of the High Sierra installer thumb drive after using DosDude's Patch Installer to download a new High Sierra installer, and just now tested it out, and the weird problem about the High Sierra installer failing and telling you to "contact the software manufacturer for assistance" is no longer happening, even with the date set to today. Whoopeee!!!

I'm now gonna download new versions of the Mojave and Catalina installers and rebuild a new version of the USB installer so I hopefully won't see this again.

Thanks again to Dayo for figuring out the trick about back dating the system before installing. I would have been pounding my head against the wall for quite a while without that little gem of an idea!!

Happy Halloween everyone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.