Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

biyahero1

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017
^^^^Yes, it will work just fine from my experiences. But, MS no longer supports the product. There will never be another update, another bug fix, another anything. 14.7.7 is the latest version.

Lou

Thanks Lou for your confirmation that it still works for you!

I understand MS no longer supports it, and there will never be another anything, but I don't care. It works fine for me as it is, and as long as it continues to work as it does if I were to upgrade, I'll be a happy camper.

Anyone else have experience with this who would care to comment?

Dave

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Several of my clients still use Office 2011 in High Sierra with no issues. It is a 32 bit app and after High Sierra, 32 bit apps will no longer work.

Starting with the first beta build for 10.13.4, we started to get warnings about the 32 bit apps we are using. It's unclear if Apple is doing anything behind the scenes regarding 32 bit apps at this time. It's possible that before High Sierra is complete if it will still support 32 bit apps.

If you are running Sierra, the safest thing you might do it not upgrade. Also if you don't have a SSD drive, I see no real reason to upgrade at this time.

biyahero1

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017
Several of my clients still use Office 2011 in High Sierra with no issues. It is a 32 bit app and after High Sierra, 32 bit apps will no longer work.

Starting with the first beta build for 10.13.4, we started to get warnings about the 32 bit apps we are using. It's unclear if Apple is doing anything behind the scenes regarding 32 bit apps at this time. It's possible that before High Sierra is complete if it will still support 32 bit apps.

If you are running Sierra, the safest thing you might do it not upgrade. Also if you don't have a SSD drive, I see no real reason to upgrade at this time.

Thank you for your response dianeoforegon. I do have an SSD drive on my late 2012 MacBook Pro 15", and there is probably no urgent need to upgrade aside from the fact that Apple always wants you to have the latest version of all their software and I have to send this machine to the depot soon to replace the battery and some speaker issues, and I think they might upgrade it whether I want them to or not when they are repairing it. I have delayed upgrading mostly because TechTool Pro version 9.5.3 specifically stated it would not work on High Sierra and because of the uncertainty about whether Office 2011 will continue to work or not.

But now with the information you have provided about some of your clients running it without problems and some others who have shared similar experiences today I am encouraged to give it a try!

However, I am not sure all of them were using the APFS... one of those specifically said he was not running APFS. Are your clients who are using Office 2011 without problems all using APFS?

I do have a subscription to Office 365 that I have installed on a Windows 10 machine and my iPad Pro but I am not a fan of the subscription model and prefer to continue using Office 2011 on this my main machine since for my purposes it works better than Office 365.

If I do decide to try it I guess I should make a full backup to my Time Capsule so that if it doesn't work I can reformat my SSD drive to HFS+ and restore my machine to the way it currently is.

Reactions: gobikerider

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I am also a user of TechTool Pro. TechTool Pro has been updated to V 9.6, and sadly it's not a free upgrade, but it works fine in HS. And yes, My boot drive is formatted in APFS.

Lou

biyahero1

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017
^^^^I am also a user of TechTool Pro. TechTool Pro has been updated to V 9.6, and sadly it's not a free upgrade, but it works fine in HS. And yes, My boot drive is formatted in APFS.

Lou

Thanks Lou! That's really good news!
I'll try it soon then and hope that Office 2011 contnues to work for me too!

I purchased the upgrade to Tech Tool Pro 9.6.1 yesterday after finding it was available, even though 9.5.3 when you chose "Check for Updates" continued to say I had the latests version!

Update 3/2/2018
I did upgrade to High Sierra last week, and am happy to report that Office 2011 for Mac continues to work just as it did with Sierra, with no issues whatsoever!

Dave

Last edited:

design4life

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2018
[doublepost=1516997485][/doublepost]Something weird is happening with my Photoshop CS5. It was working well with Sierra and when I upgraded to High Sierra it started crashing when quitting. I can still use it but every time I close it, I get a crash notice. Makes me crazy. Can't afford to get PS CC. I wonder if I keep on using it that it won't clear cashes etc when I close, further clogging up my computer. Anyone else having the same problem or know of a workaround? Thanks

Same thing is happening to me, but with Illustrator CC. It's been a week and I haven't been able to fix it yet :(

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
From the Wiki list I learned that ECLIPSE 4.8M3a 'works' on High Sierra.
But, since I installed ECLIPSE 4.8M5 weird things happen while editing (using JAVA 9.0.4):
- declaration search fails, breakpoint fail to be set, content assistant fails etc.
The people at ECLIPSE fail to reproduce, but they discovered strange exceptions in my log files.
Now, as I found that they do not run on Apple, can these events be related to High Sierra 10.13.3?
Or, is anybody successfully running ECLIPSE 4.8M4 or 4.8M5 on High Sierra?
Otherwise I would assume my workspace is corrupt.
;JOOP!

BarbieCarlson

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2018
It won't let me install the new software for some reason if anyone can please help me i am at my witts end so stressed out all i want to do is play my world of warcraft and when i try to downloand the software update it says "This version of macOS 10.13.3 cannot be installed on this computer. it makes No sense what so ever i even tried downloading from the website still says same thing. Please if anyone can help me get it installed ill be oh so ever thankful !!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 3.28.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 3.28.21 AM.png
    437 KB · Views: 372

Docmacaus

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2018
Brisbane
Same thing happened to me. Reboot in Recovery mode (command+R). When Utility Menu appears, choose Reinstall OSX and continue. Seems to be working okay for me now. Cheers.

dcmaccam

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2017
West Coast of Scotland
If I go into Lightroom 5.7 Library then select a file of Type .CR2/TIFF ,go into Develop mode then try to select a menu item or try scrolling left or right using the keyboard I get a crash. I had a folder containing 15 CR2 files and this was repeatable. Converted the 15 to .jpg and deleted the .CR2 no crashes. Just tried the same with TIFF files and it crashes. If I convert to jpeg and delete the TIFF no crash. Its OK with Nikon raw files (NEF)

Update This crash only happens in the develop Module

Last edited:

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
On Wacom Pro 16 the screen has a pink tint only in Sierra and High Sierra. It is very noticeable on white backgrounds. No amount of color profile changes can fix this. Also color profile seems to change in appearance when the monitor is shut off or on along with return of pink. The pink will immediately go away after turning off and on night shift in display preferences but will return after monitor is shut off or sleeps..

dimplemonkey

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2006
Atlanta
TeamViewer 13 doesn't work. Crashes everytime. Had to revert to version 12 which is still downloadable. I believe latest update killed it but unconfirmed.

coloma

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
Corvallis, Oregon USA
Having a few issues with BBEdit 11.6.8.
Once I've seen it display all characters as a square box. After restarting it showed them as white space. This applied to every file I opened. Had to reboot to fix.
I've also seen it consistently truncate files. The same files were not truncated in version 12 beta.

I ran into a similar problem with BBEdit 12.1.2 when I upgraded to High Sierra in February 2018. About once a day the text on all my files disappears. I can highlight sections of a file but it's like the text is the same color as the background.

BareBones tech support says this is a High Sierra bug and instructed me to use Terminal app to reset the ATS server: "atsutil server -shutdown". This restores the text for the next few hours. See thread in the BBEdit forum for more details: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bbedit/Zm-ipOXwgYk.

Overwriter

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2018
I'm hoping that someone with StoryMill (Mariner software, http://marinersoftware.com/products/storymill/) can report whether it is working on High Sierra.
I'd have to say that it has some bugs if you change settings and hit enter, the program quits. I had autosave set for every 2 minutes, and somehow when I next opened my story I had lost all that day's work. Huge huge bummer. It may have been b/c I had the file locked, but if so, there should be a warning telling you it isn't saving. I will try to get a hold of someone at Mariner Software for tech support, since I bought the software for Mac High Sierra. 04/05/18

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Basecamp 4.6.3 (latest release @ 2016), a program to manage waypoints etc. and to transfer
them between Mac and Garmin GPS no longer sends or receives by USB since High Sierra.
I'm not too lazy to type every coordinate by hand (double: into the app and into the device),
but I feel that I'm forced to an other program or maybe even to an other GPS.
Pity: there's some 400 waypoints in both.
Any remarks?
;JOOP!

johandup

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2014
Why do I miss Steve Jobs so much?
Is it because of all the photos I’ve lost on my lacie?
Or is it because the Imac on High Sierra 10.13.5 is not reading my usb flashdrives with important info on it.
It really is time to get your act together.
I have finished with upgrading to the next versions of your software.
Like the Windows guys I’ll stick to a version that actually works even if it is 10 years old.
BUT, you are already talking about the next BIG OSX.
Fyi, I will not replace any of the 6 Apple pieces in my household once they pack up.
My Iphone 6 has lost the will to live on its battery.
The battery going into it will not be an Apple brand - thats a promise.

Reactions: Martyimac

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL

What does Steve Jobs have to do with an overpriced hard drive failure? Store your photos in the cloud if they are that important, or setup Time Machine, or any of the other options available to you from Apple and third parties.

Also, why are you complaining about the battery on a 4 year old phone?

Reactions: Roar7 and tjleonard

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Or is it because the Imac on High Sierra 10.13.5 is not reading my usb flashdrives with important info on it.
Like the Windows guys I’ll stick to a version that actually works even if it is 10 years old.
Fyi, I will not replace any of the 6 Apple pieces in my household once they pack up.
That’s a little passive aggressive. You’re only hurting yourself.

An iPhone 6? Really? Also, you do realize Apple will replace that iPhone 6 battery for $29? Good luck paying less.

Reactions: Roar7

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
It’s pretty entertaining that people think that the loss of Steve Jobs was the problem, when the real decline occurred after Bertrand Serlet left. Serlet was the magic maker behind the software on the Mac.

Reactions: loby

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
It’s pretty entertaining that people think that the loss of Steve Jobs was the problem, when the real decline occurred after Bertrand Serlet left. Serlet was the magic maker behind the software on the Mac.
I don’t personally think it was Jobs, but Jobs did surround himself with a group of people to get things done. The CEO’s job is to be a visionary...

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London

You're blaming Apple for a third party hard drive failing
You're complaining about a four year old phone's battery degrading, which Apple will replace for you at a reasonable price if you want (good luck with a third-party battery in the iPhone or any other brand of phone - hope it doesn't catch fire in your pocket)
You're blaming all of this on the death of Steve Jobs.

I hope you enjoy your windows laptop and android phone. Just to let you know though, neither of those things will stop your third party hard drives failing, and your phone's battery life in four years time will be pretty terrible (and you'll probably be running software that is at least two years out of date).

There are good reasons to choose Windows and Android if you want over OSX/IOS- I don't think you've mentioned any of them though.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
If I go into Lightroom 5.7 Library then select a file of Type .CR2/TIFF ,go into Develop mode then try to select a menu item or try scrolling left or right using the keyboard I get a crash. I had a folder containing 15 CR2 files and this was repeatable. Converted the 15 to .jpg and deleted the .CR2 no crashes. Just tried the same with TIFF files and it crashes. If I convert to jpeg and delete the TIFF no crash. Its OK with Nikon raw files (NEF)

Update This crash only happens in the develop Module

So does that mean Lightroom 5.7 will work in Sierra ?

Raven007

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2018
Oak Harbor, WA
Carbon Copy Cloner V5.1.2 works
Easy Find V4.9.3 works with APFS
Google Earth Pro V7.3.0.3832 works
Graphics Converter V10.6.2 works
Little Snitch V4.1.1 works V4.0.3 listed
Mac Fan Control V1.4.10 works
Mac Tracker V7.7.4 works
Security Spy V4.2.5 works
Speedtest.app V1.5 works

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.