Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

skyehigh13

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
I am not following on what you mean by "turning off". The messages app doesn't "turn off" as it will remain in docks unless you did NOT put it in the docks. If you simply open it, when you quit, it will disappear from the dock.

If you want to have it remaining in the dock, you have to put it there without launching it. Then when you quit, it will remain in the dock.
[doublepost=1559821285][/doublepost]
Apologies , when I open messages its fine but as soon as i use anything else it closes again , the little dot under it goes off and messages dont come through.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010

Apologies , when I open messages its fine but as soon as i use anything else it closes again , the little dot under it goes off and messages dont come through.

Ah. Now I see what you mean.

Unfortunately, I have not had that problem, so I cannot offer any suggestion.

stoopkidblues

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2014

I think this is new behavior: when you close out the Messages app it automatically quits the app. It used to remain open you actually “Quit” the Messages app, but now it closes once you exit. Maybe this is a privacy move by Apple, but you should still receive incoming messages.

EDIT: maybe this isn’t new behavior. Not sure what the cause is, but sometimes it will close the app completely and other times I still have the small dot in the dock showing it’s still open. I’m going to guess it’s a bug.

Last edited:

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
I havent been through all the pages, so my apologies. If I have a Youtube page open on my iMac, and someone calls me on my iPhone, the Youtube video will start playing by itself. Is this a bug?

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
I think this is new behavior: when you close out the Messages app it automatically quits the app. It used to remain open you actually “Quit” the Messages app, but now it closes once you exit. Maybe this is a privacy move by Apple, but you should still receive incoming messages.

EDIT: maybe this isn’t new behavior. Not sure what the cause is, but sometimes it will close the app completely and other times I still have the small dot in the dock showing it’s still open. I’m going to guess it’s a bug.
Messages uses Automatic Termination, a feature from macOS Lion. An app will Quit when you close the last window or document to free up system resources.

Reactions: stoopkidblues

Grizabella

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2018
I havent been through all the pages, so my apologies. If I have a Youtube page open on my iMac, and someone calls me on my iPhone, the Youtube video will start playing by itself. Is this a bug?
Not sure if this is related, but on my MacBook Pro if someone calls while I am listening to ITUNES, the music does not fully mute. I have to stop the song or I still hear it.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Not sure if this is related, but on my MacBook Pro if someone calls while I am listening to ITUNES, the music does not fully mute. I have to stop the song or I still hear it.

Havent heard that one. Mine is a bit different. Say I watch something on YT, and I pause it, if someone calls me, it will unpause the video.

stoopkidblues

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2014
Messages uses Automatic Termination, a feature from macOS Lion. An app will Quit when you close the last window or document to free up system resources.

Okay cool because after I posted the edit it closed the app again after exiting out. Doh! Lol

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
How buggy is Mojave and Adobe CC? I need to use Photoshop, Illustrator and Premiere. Thanks.

Stavros86

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2015
Just bought a new Macbook Pro and have noticed the messages app in the dock keeps turning off , anyone help please ?

I am not following on what you mean by "turning off". The messages app doesn't "turn off" as it will remain in docks unless you did NOT put it in the docks. If you simply open it, when you quit, it will disappear from the dock.

If you want to have it remaining in the dock, you have to put it there without launching it. Then when you quit, it will remain in the dock.

Ah. Now I see what you mean.

Unfortunately, I have not had that problem, so I cannot offer any suggestion.

Okay cool because after I posted the edit it closed the app again after exiting out. Doh! Lol

Hello,

I just upgraded my MacBook Pro from Sierra to Mojave, by performing a clean installation. One of very first things I noticed about the new environment is the behavior that skyehigh13 explains in his previous messages.

What basically happens, is that the open application indicator on the dock (the dot underneath each app icon) seems to disappear on certain apps, even though these apps still run, or at least a portion of them, in the background. My assertion is based on the fact that I can still see these apps (without the aforementioned indicator) in the Force Quit Applications utility or the Activity Monitor.

The applications that I have seen this behavior so far are TextEdit, Calendar and Messages. Other Apple apps such as Maps, Reminders and Contacts continue to behave like they used to in Sierra.

Any input on this is welcomed.

Thanks!

MapleGreen

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2019
Hi there
Apple has released macOS Mojave 10.14.6 beta 4 (18G71a)
Is there anyone that have tested this beta version on Mac pro 5,1 or any other Mac?

as we know 10.14.6 will be the last version of macOS that officially supports Mac pro 5,1 as well as 32bit apps.
so I thought maybe it's a good idea to address problems here before the final release, because we will be stuck with it for a long time!

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hi there
Apple has released macOS Mojave 10.14.6 beta 4 (18G71a)
Is there anyone that have tested this beta version on Mac pro 5,1 or any other Mac?

as we know 10.14.6 will be the last version of macOS that officially supports Mac pro 5,1 as well as 32bit apps.
so I thought maybe it's a good idea to address problems here before the final release, because we will be stuck with it for a long time!

Already a thread for this ...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-mojave-10-14-bugs-and-bug-fixes.2121493/

Reactions: octoviaa

MapleGreen

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2019
that is general 10.14 bug fix, I really don't care if it runs ok with macbook pro or iMac etc ...
maybe they upgrade to Catalina 2 month later, that's not the case with mac pro 5,1 users, specially if they use a lot of 32bit apps.
I think Mac pro 5,1 needs dedicated thread because 10.14.6 it is the last OS that is officially supported
for instance I want to know if Navi GPU's Like new Radeon RX 5700 and 5700XT are supported in beta4?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I am running that. But not sure what you really want to know. 32bit apps run no difference on cMP or any other Mac.
Screenshot 2019-07-11 at 1.36.35 PM.png

Reactions: MapleGreen

MapleGreen

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2019
Your posts are contradictory. This really is an OS question.
in mac pro section we have threads like this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...de-instructions.2142418/page-49#post-27529768

I prefer threads like this to be in hardware category and general stuff in OS section
So it's completely relevant to discuss it deeply.
I have macbook pro 2015 and Mac pro mid 2012, but in my experience same OS behaves in a different way in them.
Because Mac pro is upgradable and we have problems like compatibility issues etc... .
Maybe you have to see this through the eyes of Mac pro 5.1 users.
I don't blame you
[doublepost=1562826591][/doublepost]
I am running that. But not sure what you really want to know. 32bit apps run no difference on cMP or any other Mac.
View attachment 847667

Some. Prob
View attachment 847667
Thanks, did you experience any noticeable difference compared to 10.14.5
Like boot speed test and other benchmarks

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
in mac pro section we have threads like this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...de-instructions.2142418/page-49#post-27529768

I prefer threads like this to be in hardware category and general stuff in OS section
So it's completely relevant to discuss it deeply.
I have macbook pro 2015 and Mac pro mid 2012, but in my experience same OS behaves in a different way in them.
Because Mac pro is upgradable and we have problems like compatibility issues etc... .
Maybe you have to see this through the eyes of Mac pro 5.1 users.
I don't blame you
[doublepost=1562826591][/doublepost]

Some. Prob

Thanks, did you experience any noticeable difference compared to 10.14.5
Like boot speed test and other benchmarks

I only did some simple tests, shows no noticeable difference in performance.

But for hwaccel, 10.14.6 beta shows more stable than 10.14.5.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/activate-amd-hardware-acceleration.2180095/
[doublepost=1562827081][/doublepost]The only bug I encounter in 10.14.6 beta (but not in 10.14.5) is the lsd high memory usage. But I found the fix already.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/high-memory-usage-by-lsd.2188595/

MapleGreen

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2019
I only did some simple tests, shows no noticeable difference in performance.

But for hwaccel, 10.14.6 beta shows more stable than 10.14.5.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/activate-amd-hardware-acceleration.2180095/
[doublepost=1562827081][/doublepost]The only bug I encounter in 10.14.6 beta (but not in 10.14.5) is the lsd high memory usage. But I found the fix already.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/high-memory-usage-by-lsd.2188595/
Really good to hear that
As audio engineer is very important to have better HWACC
So all cpu power dedicates to audio processing instead of handling visual stuff

MapleGreen

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2019
That hwaccel is for very specific video codec, not compute, nor UI display etc.
I installed Mojave for test reasons some time ago but I had to go back to sierra for some compatibility reasons.
Mojave shows my GPU as RX 580 and in Pro tools I had no performance issue at all as well as other apps.
but Sierra shows my GPU as R9 XXX and I have performance issue in HIDPI mode in Pro tools and other apps even in web pages! so I had to use non retina mode by alt+select Scale in display preference for low resolution numbers

so it has something to do with hardware acceleration in processing retina display mode
Am I right?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I installed Mojave for test reasons some time ago but I had to go back to sierra for some compatibility reasons.
Mojave shows my GPU as RX 580 and in Pro tools I had no performance issue at all as well as other apps.
but Sierra shows my GPU as R9 XXX and I have performance issue in HIDPI mode in Pro tools and other apps even in web pages! so I had to use non retina mode by alt+select Scale in display preference for low resolution numbers

so it has something to do with hardware acceleration in processing retina display mode
Am I right?

No, but just general OS difference.

You may try ResXtreme in Sierra and see if it can force the UI in HiDPI mode.

MapleGreen

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2019

I can use HiDPI UI but it causes lags in scrolling through web pages and performance issues even in audio production softwares because CPU has to process more pixels
I don't know the exact reason but I think my GPU doesn't work well because it is not recognized well by the OS
[doublepost=1562830362][/doublepost]

also I have to mention that I use 3 monitors simultaneously one is 4k retina and 2 others are none retina 1080p
maybe this kind of problem is not so obvious in single monitor usage

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.