Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I have just installed the Mojave 10.14.5 update and got a message that Garageband 6 may not work. Now I don't use garage band but, bugger me senseless, what is Apple doing when its own stuff does not work? I cannot view DVDs after paying for a DVD reader. Thus company is outrageous. Why do you pander to their outrageous business practices ?

How long have you been using computers? Any system update, especially one where it’s being transitioned, is liable to break or hobble some software. This is simply a fact of any OS update.
In this threads first post it notes it takes GarageBand about 10 minutes to load up at this time, sure they’ll address it in future patch. If you don’t use it though, why worry about it?
Doesn’t the built in DVD reader work? Again, app publisher probably needs to update and/or get that "certificate" thing that has been noted.
IDK, my 32 bit Adobe CS3 apps are running faster than ever under 10.14.5 and they’re what, 12 years old?
Why do "we" pander? You’re the one who updated your Mac so you must own Apple equipment. Who’s pandering now? You could always switch to Windows that seems to support everything, not matter how old, but is bloated and buggy.
When Mojave 10.15 comes out and breaks all the 32 bit software you’re probably still running, then you can cry me a river.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I have just installed the Mojave 10.14.5 update and got a message that Garageband 6 may not work. Now I don't use garage band but, bugger me senseless, what is Apple doing when its own stuff does not work? I cannot view DVDs after paying for a DVD reader. Thus company is outrageous. Why do you pander to their outrageous business practices ?
Current version of Garageband is 10.3.2... you've likely been ignoring the update notifications for it (since you don't use it anyway). The last few years of GarageBand versions work fine on Mojave. As far as the DVDs failing to play, I'm about 90% sure that's a problem specific to your computer... since I play them just fine on all the Macs I personally use and nobody I know of has any issue at all watching DVDs using Apple's own or third-party hardware players.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere

you're kidding right? you're on a new OS, and that's an old garageband version. so... it needs updating. that's how software works. and you can view dvds... pop one in, dvd player should open, and you watch your dvd. or is that not working? then ask for help; this forum excels in that (also, sadly, in whining...).

EDIT: oops, posted before reloading the page. so, see posts above...

jdw13

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Boston, Maine, Chile
Has anyone else tried skygo? Is this behaviour consistent. Tempted to try the beta but this is a biggie for me (obviously I'd have a time machine backup & data backups anyway.. and a spare machine!)
[doublepost=1530179894][/doublepost]I see
Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client (4.6.01098)
is listed as working.

Has anyone tried 4.5.03040 ?
[doublepost=1530180172][/doublepost]I see there's reference to OneDrive spinning 100% CPU. Are there multiple reports of this? I ask as I previously had this on an early macos version (10.13.?) and ended up having to reconfigure onedrive from scratch, at which point it started behaving normally again. This could be the same?
[doublepost=1559439940][/doublepost]I just tried Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client (4.5.03040) and it appears to work on Mojave 10.14.5 with 32-bit warning.

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
I updated to 10.14.5 and VMWare fusion 11.1 just to test out tuxera compatibility with an external drive again. Still results in a kernel lock when trying to eject the disk (randomly but more frquesnt than most). Of course turning off the MAC also corrupts the external drive which for some strange reason seems to only be repairable by windows. Contacted Tuxera as to the progress of my 12 month ticket. Its progressed to they confirm the bug but still no date for a fix.

Seems that Paragon have also fixed the bug that I raised regarding their driver corrupting the display after sleep. Guess I'll revert to Paragon if they have fixed their issue.

Phoeniix

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2019
Florida
I just Updated to Mojave 10.14.5 and now I am unable to write to my shared NTFS drive. I use Tuxera 2018, anyone got any ideas on fixing the write permissions? or do I need to wait on Tuxera? Does anyone know if 10.14.6 has the same issue?

upload_2019-7-27_16-36-12.png

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
I just Updated to Mojave 10.14.5 and now I am unable to write to my shared NTFS drive. I use Tuxera 2018, anyone got any ideas on fixing the write permissions? or do I need to wait on Tuxera? Does anyone know if 10.14.6 has the same issue?

View attachment 850149
I run 10.14.5 and have no issues with Tuxera doing basic file related items simply for storage. I've not upgraded to 10.14.6 as yet. However if your trying to use Tuxera with Fusion simply don;t do it. I've had a bug outstanding with Tuxera for almost a year now with Fusion. It is also a confirmed Tuxera bug. I've at least requested they stop advertising that they are compatible with Fusion, as its one of their major selling points, they have not done this. If your using fusion you will get kernel locks and corrupted drives with Tuxera. Best to move to another file system that does not need a driver unfortunately. If your just storing files and then recovering them there should be no issues at all.

Phoeniix

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2019
Florida
I run 10.14.5 and have no issues with Tuxera doing basic file related items simply for storage. I've not upgraded to 10.14.6 as yet. However if your trying to use Tuxera with Fusion simply don;t do it. I've had a bug outstanding with Tuxera for almost a year now with Fusion. It is also a confirmed Tuxera bug. I've at least requested they stop advertising that they are compatible with Fusion, as its one of their major selling points, they have not done this. If your using fusion you will get kernel locks and corrupted drives with Tuxera. Best to move to another file system that does not need a driver unfortunately. If your just storing files and then recovering them there should be no issues at all.

Thanks tommiy,
I have had issues with the write permissions on the Bootcamp partition every time I update OS/X. I do run Parallels 14.1.3 occasionally, so that could be the culprit ???... I also run Bootcamp as a native "windoze" 10 boot. I did not have this issue of course when I ran a third partition formatted as FAT32 as my share location. I switched to sharing from the Bootcamp drive to cut the latency from my 3D rendering programs accessing the shared drive. Seems a return to 3 partitions is my best solution... If anyone has any alternative suggestions PLEASE tell me! FAT32 is archaic, is there a better NTFS solution for the Mac than Tuxera?

Last edited:

Phoeniix

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2019
Florida
Thanks tommiy,
I have had issues with the write permissions on the Bootcamp partition every time I update OS/X. I do run Parallels 14.1.3 occasionally, so that could be the culprit ???... I also run Bootcamp as a native "windoze" 10 boot. I did not have this issue of course when I ran a third partition formatted as FAT32 as my share location. I switched to sharing from the Bootcamp drive to cut the latency from my 3D rendering programs accessing the shared drive. Seems a return to 3 partitions is my best solution... If anyone has any alternative suggestions PLEASE tell me! FAT32 is archaic, is there a better NTFS solution for the Mac than Tuxera?

Just installed the trial version of Paragon's NTFS for MAC. Suddenly Tuxera is able to run repair (no longer greyed out) on Bootcamp partition... Hmmm I think I will be dumping Tuxera and switching to Paragon's product. Looking at the performance benchmarks was also a convincing argument. I can't say why I have issues with the write permissions using Tuxera, since others do not experience them. However, every time I update the Mac OS, I have this issue. I remember the last time updated Mojave, I had to fix the permissions in the Terminal console. Not only have I forgotten how to fix them, I just don't have time to mess with this crap. I have a workflow to maintain, I need my stuff to WORK! This is not a hobby, it is my career at stake. Time is $$$.

I hope this info is helpful to others.
Have a blessed day.

Phoeniix
Phoeniix.gif

Reactions: decafjava

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
I've just noticed that Tuxera has removed all references to their product supporting VMWare Fusion from their Web Site. As it has been almost 12 months since i lodged my bug and had it confirmed by Tuxera that their product will not support Fusion and VMs hosted on external drives I've asked for an update on if the issue will ever be resolved.

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
according to tuxera they are going to fix the incompatibility between the ntfs driver and fusion in catalina. Will be over a year since I purchased the product and not been able to use it. Thats if it actually happens and works. Will see I suppose.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Game wise:

Doom 3 (opens but after intro, crashes)
Biosock 2
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Asphalt 6: Adrenaline

I can only assume they all do the same, but havan't tested the rest

Bugger .... Doom 3 was good too. Only option now is play them under VM.. El cap or lower, i have installers . That's what i always do if i can't get stuff to work :)

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
This thread is for posting the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to app compatibility with macOS Mojave DB 1. Make sure to update the first page, instead of making individual posts. This is a wiki post. Please keep the apps alphabetized.

Apps that are working
1Password
Acorn 6.1.3
Adguard Pro (1.5.8)
Airfoil Satellite (requires latest update)
Alfred 3 (issues with 3.6.x with DB4, fixed in beta of 3.7)
Amphetamine
Anaconda Navigator (1.8.7)
Aperture (3.6)
AppCleaner
Asphalt 6
Audition (CC 2018) & (CS6)
Autodesk Maya (2018.2 & 2016 ext 2 SP1)
AutoMounter (Pro needs Helper v1.3.3)
Avast 13.11
Backblaze
BackupLoupe (if you add to Privacy - Application Data)
Banktivity
Bartender
BBEdit (12.1.4)
Beamer
BetterZip 4.1.3
Blender 2.79b
Blender 2.8 beta
Boom2 (you will need to check 'allow' in Privacy (system preferences) for the microphone..
(i had to uncheck/recheck that)
Boxer (Dos Emulator) 1.4
Brackets
BusyCal
BusyContacts
Caffeine (1.1.1)
CalcVerter
Capture 3.2
CarbonCopyCloner - new beta here: https://bombich.com/download#nmos_beta
ChatMate für WhatsApp 4.2.4
Checkbook Pro
ChronoSync
Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client (4.6.01098)
Cisco Jabber (12.0.1)
Cisco WebEx Productivity Tools 31.20.2.18
CleanMyMac 3.10.0b1
CleanMyMac X Version 4.0.1
CoconutBattery
Colours for Hue
Copy'Em Paste
CoverFlow (RC1.2)
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
CrossOver 17.5.0
Deliveries
DaisyDisk
Default Folder X
Diablo
Discord
Dreamweaver CC
Dropbox
Eclipse
Entropy
Fantastical 2
Finale 25.5
Firefox
Forklift (3.2.2)
FruitJuice
f.lux
Fuse for macOS (OS X Fuse) 3.8.2
GarageBand '11/6.0.5 (Up to 10 minutes for first launch as with HS, after that works perfectly)
Garmin Training Center GTC - version 3.2.1.1
GearWatchDesigner
GitKraken (3.6.3)
Google Chrome
GoToMyPC
Handbrake (1.1.1)
Hazel
Home Inventory (3.7.3)
HoudahSpot
HP EasyScan Version 1.9.1 (119)
HP Utility Version 5.38.0 (1792)
Icon Slate
iConvert Icons
Illustrator CS6 [after re-installing Java for macOS 2017-001]
iBackup (for iOS apps iAccounts and iData) requires Java legacy version
iFlicks
iMazing 2.6.1 (9014)
iPhoto 9.6.1
iPhoto Library Manager (4.2.1)
InDesign CS6
InDesign CC 2018 (requires patch on PBeta 3: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/crash-on-launch-macOS-mojave-beta.html)
iStat Menus
iTaskX 3.3.1
Jump Desktop (7.1.4 and 8.0.2)
LightCapture
LiteIcon 3.9 beta https://freemacsoft.net/downloads/LiteIcon_3.9.zip
Little Snitch (4.1 nightly 5165; released 11 June 2018)
Logic Pro X
Logitech Gaming Software (8.98.306) -- Gaming mouse and keyboard run without issues
Logitech Options (initially broken, but a reinstall of the latest version fixed it)
Luminar 2018 v 1.3
Macs Fan Control (1.4.10)
Magnet
Mail Satellite
MATLAB
McAfee Endpoint Security for Mac v10.5.0
MEGAsync
Microsoft Office 2011 (excel-word-PPT-outlook) need to reinstall 14.7.7 update after install for everything to work properly and may have to reactivate serial number
Microsoft Word (16.13.1) & (16.15.0)
Microsoft Excel (16.13.1) & (16.15.0)
Microsoft Outlook (16.13.1) & (16.15.0)
Microsoft Power Point (16.15.0)
Microsoft Remote Desktop Beta (10.1.8)
Microsoft Teams (1.1.00.11551)
MindNode
MoneyMoney 2.3.6
Moom (3.2.11)
MySQLWorkbench (6.3.7)
NeoFinder (7.2.1)
Newton Mail
Notability
Omnigraffle 7.8.1
OmniOutliner 5.3.3
Omnipresence 1.6
OpenEmu
Outside
Pacifist 3.6
Paperless (2.4.1)
Paragon NTFS for Mac
Parallels 14.0.1
Parcel
PathFinder (8.x)
PathFinder (7.6.2)
PCalc
PDFpenPro (10.1.0)
Photoshop (CC 2018) & (CS6) (Manually add to Security-Privacy-Accessibility for Pen Pressure)
PhpStorm 2018.1
Pixelmator
Plantronics Hub Version 3.11.0 | Build 17287
PowerPhotos 1.5.7
Private Internet Access (PIA) v81 (Preliminary macOS Mojave (10.14) support)
Pro Tools 2018.7 (not officially supported by Avid, but works perfectly)
PureVPN
PyCharm 2018.1
Quicksilver
QuickSleep
R (3.3.2)
Rapidweaver 7.5.5
Reunion 12
Rocket
Room EQ Wizard 5.18 (brings its own jvm)
Runescape Java 1.1
Runescape NXT 2.2.4
RStudio (1.1.383)
ScanSnap Manager
Scapple
Screenflow 5.0
Scrivener
ShimoVPN (latest release solves PPTP connectivity issues)
Skype for Business 16.18.62 (Integration with Outlook 2016 works in Build 18A314)
SkySafari 5 Pro
Slack
SlimBatteryMonitor (!, as old as this app is)
SmashTunes
Snagit 2018 (latest update in App Store resolves the issues)
Snappy v2.0.1 (121)
Sophos Hom Premium (2.0.3)
Spark
Spectrum
Speedtest (1.5)
SpiderOak One
Splashtop Streamer
Spotify
StarCraft II
StarCraft Remastered
Steam
Subler
Sublime Text 3
Suitcase Fusion v19.0.5
Tableau Desktop 2018.1.3
TextExpander 5
TextMate
Things 3
TickTick 2.6.0
Tile Game Classic
Tor Browser
Total Finder (11.1.10)
TotalFinder (1.11.0 with SIP disabled)
Transmission (2.94)Trello 2.10.5
TripMode v.2.2.0
Tweetbot 3
Übersicht (1.2.53) - including custom python scripts for info display
Unity
Ulysses
Vanilla (requires restart if you switch to Dark Mode to get rid of a graphics glitch)
VeraCrypt 1.2.2 (with Fuse for macOS 3.8.2)
Virus Scanner Plus 3.11
Visual Studio Code
Visual Studio Community (for Mac)
VLC
WiFiExplorer 2.4.3
VMWare Fusion Pro 11.0.0
VMWare Fusion e.x.p. 2018 Tech Preview
Vox
Wacom Tablet Touch Drivers (working properly with the 6.3.31-3 update on 9/20, seems to have fixed the freezing and crashing reported with earlier driver versions)
Waltr 2 (2.6.8)
WebEx Teams (3.0.8519.0)
Wunderlist
Zoc Terminal (7.18.4)

Apps that work but are having problems
Aerial Screensaver (Working in PB10/Loads in System Preferences/"Done" button in options not working.)
Adobe Director (Editor is working but can only create projectors without the Xtras)
Agenda (funky UI rulers cut off first couple of columns of notes) (Beta 2 seems to fix)
Airmail 3 (white background over account names for some reason)
Acrobat X (gives “needs updating” warning, works - only sluggish)
Arq Backup (5.12.1) - must manually add the Arq application to "Application Data" category under privacy settings for Arq to be able to access some folders in the user's library folder.
Atom Text Editor (1.27.2)
AutoMounter - App runs fine, but if you install the helper (v1.3.2) it causes the desktop to hang. Had to go into recovery to remove the helper. Emailed the dev.
CodeKit App (launches, but interface bugs make it unusable)
DEVONthink Pro Office 2.9.17 (crashes shortly after start)
Dreamweaver CS5 (gives “needs updating” warning, but continues to work - only sluggish)
Forecast Bar - will not load satellite images
Hyperdock v1.7 (it took a few reboots to get working; had to manually add to Accessibility in System Preference; reports "Unsupported Operating System" when opening the config in System Preferences)
iTunes can’t transfer files from iOS apps in File Sharing.
iTunes 10.4.1 still plays Music happily. Can access store. Have not tried buying anything yet. This system also has iTunes 12.9 installed on it.
iTunes 12.6.4 & 12.6.5 (if you try to install, you just get "This software is not supported on your system.") But there are ways to make it working- just follow the link
Lightroom Classic - The application crashes when trying to import from an SD card. Other functions seem to work.
LogMeIn App works but LogMeIn Safari Plug-In no longer works
MacGo Blu-ray Player (2.17.2) - Very occasional stutter/pause - not sure if this is due to running on MacBook Pro 2016 13" TB 3.3Ghz i7, 16GB RAM from disk image on USB-C ->USB 3 external hard drive or an app issue.
Mamp Pro (4.5.0) - random freezes and beach ball at random points every little bit. Useable but annoying...
Microsoft Excel 2011 (gives needs updating warning, templates pane is unreadable, continues to work)
OmniFocus 2.12.3 - Works fine, slight cosmetic anomaly in toolbar display which is "grayed out"
PDF Expert - fails & crashes when trying to print. all other features work.
Pixave - Import Crashes
RealVNC Server - viewing is OK, but no remote control. Apple Screensharing works
Reeder (version 3.2 crashes occasionally)
RoyalTSX v3.3 (hangs randomly in Preferences and when trying load new documents, crashes when exiting an RDP session)
Scroll Reverser (need to give permission in Accessibility setting in Privacy)
Sonos (can't update music library)
SpamSieve (make sure to update to current beta before installing 10.14)
Splashtop Business (workable but very slow)
ThemeEngine - requires a little zooming in on elements to make them appear perfect in view. Can save .car files just fine.
Ulysses 2.8.3 (standalone version, pre-subscription) - works and iCloud sync is functional, but there are display anomalies in Ulysses' dark mode.
Vellum 2.0 (works, but no “contents” in the navigation pane.)
Whatsize 6.6.3 (application is showing wrong sizes)
X-Plane 11: Purchased aircraft crash upon loading, built in ones work fine. (Purchased aircraft seem to work in PB 7 and latest stable X-Plane release as of today (2018-08-26))
xGestures (1.7.8) - works, but will not auto start. Throws a few Assistive Device prompts, despite being whitelisted. It does work though.
Zoom Outlook Plugin (4.3.5278) - doesn't show the plugin when creating Outlook Meetings

Apps that don't work at all
BetterTouchTool (see thread for update, working beta release at https://folivora.ai/blog/post/13005)
CleanMyMac 3 (they have a Mojave beta version ready, email their support on support@macpaw.com to get hands on it) (Version 3.10.0b1 appears to work and is available for download)
Cocktail
Game Golf Transfer - starts when device is plugged in but then gets "USB CONNECTION LOST error
Hands Off! (3.2.7)
IBM Client Application Access
IBM Notes

iStat Pro (Cannot be installed)
LastPass (App does not work. Browser plugin barely works) (10.14 B2)
Little Snitch 4.1.2 (not compatible with Mojave)
Live Home 3D (3.3.4 build 874) by BeLight Software - app launches to Project Gallery but won't open any selection or new document
MailButler 2.1
Malwarebytes (3.3.22) (tries to update app, installer freezes, forces uninstall of app)
Mindjet Mindmanager 11 (Build 11.1.160- application crashes at start)
NFSManager, stops with a window unsupported OS version
OS X Fuse 3.80 (Will not install)
Paste 2 (crashes when copying something to the clipboard)
PIA v80 (loads, connects to VPN server but blocks all internet traffic - Mojave also throws "legacy" warning)
PowerPhotos (crashes on startup)
Sculptris
Snapz Pro X 2.6.1 (crashes when choosing any capture option)
Sound Control
SQLPro Studio (launches, runs slow, then crashes and won’t reopen)
Unison
Unlox (launches and runs fine but cannot unlock via iOS counterpart, tap to unlock also broken - UPDATE: developer has released beta version with full Mojave functionality, can find info on Twitter @UnloxHelp)
VyprVPN
VMWare Horizon Client (Older version 4.1 works. Current version 4.7 does not)
VirtualBox
You forgot Wine, that works just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.