Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bxs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
One of the things that bothers me at this moment is that when executing the Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool it requires access to the Internet for downloading certain info related to performing the upgrade. My concern is that this data may not be available in the future or that I'm stuck one day wanting to use the Tool but don't have access to the Internet.

Does anyone know how to obtain the Tool's needed data ahead of time (like now) and store it away to avoid internet access altogether and to protect against the data no longer being available one day ? Thanks. :)

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Once the upgrade is done, why would you need access to it again? Those of us with real 5,1s certainly don't need it, why would you?

Lou

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
My guess is that the tool just go to Apple's server to download the 5,1 firmware. May be you can download that and back it up.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
This might be what you are looking for.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1321

Hi Studio K I downloaded the firmware from that link and tried installing it. A message pops up something like saying the software is not compatible. I am using a 2009 Mac Pro. Unless I am missing something. The Apple page also shows a photo of the new Mac Pro, probably the firmware is meant for the new Mac Pro, not sure though. Thanks.

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
Hi Studio K I downloaded the firmware from that link and tried installing it. A message pops up something like saying the software is not compatible. I am using a 2009 Mac Pro. Unless I am missing something. The Apple page also shows a photo of the new Mac Pro, probably the firmware is meant for the new Mac Pro, not sure though. Thanks.

That link is for the 2010 5,1 Mac pro boot-rom firmware. You would not be able to install it directly on a 2009.

I was guessing that it was what the Netkas Firmware Utility downloads when flashing the 4,1 to 5,1.

When the 2010s were first available, the firmware ended in B00, I believe. An update was made available months later ending in B03. That is the one that is still available for download.

The image of the new Mac Pro is something you can ignore. Apple uses that in every page related to the Mac Pro regardless of version.

bxs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Once the upgrade is done, why would you need access to it again? Those of us with real 5,1s certainly don't need it, why would you?

Lou

Thanks...
That is true if you only upgrade a 4,1 to a 5,1 one time. In my case I've just finished my 3rd upgrade, and I suspect I will have a few more to do over next year. So I want some assurance the Tool will continue to work. If the info is downloaded from Apple then I'm dependent on Apple continuing to make that info available. If I knew exactly what is downloaded, how it's applied and can obtain the info for myself. I can archive it and know for sure I can continue upgrades into the future.

In addition, it seems the Tool 'pings' the server address where the firmware info is to be downloaded from. If your facility has a firewall that prevents passing 'pings' through you need to reconfigure the firewall temporarily to allow the ping to pass through.

I just feel nervous about relying on a Tool that I really have no control over, even though I admit it does a really fine job of minimizing the effort.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
simple solution: open this file with your favourite texteditor ->
Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool.scpt

you’ll find two URLs:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL989/en_US/MacProEFIUpdate.dmg
and
http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1321/en_US/MacProEFIUpdate1.5.dmg

download the two files and place them on your own webserver ->
http://your_web_server/downloads/DL989/en_US/MacProEFIUpdate.dmg
http://your_web_server/downloads/DL1321/en_US/MacProEFIUpdate1.5.dmg

now on the Mac Pro you want to flash the EFI, edit the file /etc/hosts and add
this line: IP_of_your_webserver support.apple.com

problem solved ;-)

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
That link is for the 2010 5,1 Mac pro boot-rom firmware. You would not be able to install it directly on a 2009.

I was guessing that it was what the Netkas Firmware Utility downloads when flashing the 4,1 to 5,1.

When the 2010s were first available, the firmware ended in B00, I believe. An update was made available months later ending in B03. That is the one that is still available for download.

The image of the new Mac Pro is something you can ignore. Apple uses that in every page related to the Mac Pro regardless of version.

Thanks Studio K. No problem on the firmware. Incidentally, I just remembered my 2009 Mac Pro already had the updated 5.1 firmware months ago.

soren4

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2015
It appears Apple has removed/moved or otherwise changed the location for the MacProEFIUpdate1.5.dmg, which now causes the Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool to generate the dreaded 5570 error because it can't find it to download.

Apple appears to have renamed it to MacProEFIUpdate.dmg, the same name as the other file needing download from Apple and can be downloaded here as others have mentioned in this thread:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1321

Unfortunately, the Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool.scpt inside the tool app was compiled to be "read only" so it appears that even if someone downloads the MacProEFIUpdate1.5.dmg and posted it on their own web server or copies the new download URI from Apple etc., there isn't anyway in which to edit the script file to point to the files new location.

Does anyone have an idea on how to overcome these issues? I'd like to be able to use this wonderful tool and update my 2009 Mac Pro.

Thanks in advance.

soren4

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2015
How about temperaoryly redirect the address back to your local host and place the file there?

Are you referring to doing something like a 301 redirect on your local machine? Seems to be far too complicated when editing a text script file would be so much easier - but alas I can't because it was compiled to be read only...

soren4

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2015
This is what I was thinking.

Actually I found the solution on Netkas.org. The site was down for a good portion of today and I wasn't abel to search their archives.

Apparently all you have to do is this:

Download the Mac Pro Firmware update 1.5 (MacProEFIUpdate.dmg) from Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1321

With the downloaded .dmg on the desktop, double click to mount the image.

Run the Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool. It will automatically locate the package and proceed to the next phase of reboot and power switch hold until the little light above the power button begins to flash or you hear a long beep.

There is no need to rename or replace anything. The Firmware Tool grabs the package and proceeds with the process with no 5570 error message.

Hope this helps other Mac Pro 2009 users who are attempting this firmware update.

RetroDan

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2015
Michigan
Many thanks

It certainly helped me! Without your assistance I was beginning to have anxieties ... all is now well and 5.1 is showing.

Okay, so I managed to do the update, or so I thought. I followed the instructions, and shut down the machine on my 4,1 Mac Pro with El Capitan. Then I held the power button until my Mac Pro let out a long beep, then released it.

My computer still claims to be a 4,1, and now when I try to run the update, I get a 5530 error. not a 5570 error, but a 5530 error, of which I can find no information. I'm rather annoyed, and I would like some assistance, please. Netkas' site doesn't send me a registration link, so I can't sign up to get help there.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
This is the correct firmware version to run the tool.

So you actually able to ran it on the 1st time (before disable SIP), but unable to run that again (after disable SIP) with that 5530 error?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.