Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p.pan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Hi,

I am on a macpro 5.1 (Middle 2010).
Actually running High Sierra.
I have the possibility to install Lion X.7.5 on an internal Hardrive to be able to start with Lion an able to use all my 32bits application.

It will work??

Thanks by advance.

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA
You shouldn't need to (install Lion)...your 32-bit apps will work with High Sierra and Mojave just fine. Well, assuming there aren't other compatibility issues from running older apps on a newer system, they will. But just for 32-bit compatibility, you're fine on High Sierra. It is 10.15 Catalina that will no longer run them.

p.pan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Thanks,
But I try already to install Digital Performer 7.24 (From Motu).
And it failed...
Thats the reason I was thinking to install Lion.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
OS Lion should install fine on a cMP 5.1. You'll need to start up with a StartUp USB stick with 10.7 on it.

Lou

p.pan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Thank you very much,
When you say: You'll need to start up with a StartUp USB stick with 10.7 on it.
You mean:
I install Lion on one of the internal HD of the Macpro with a USB stick (with the install of Lion on it)??
Thanks.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Hi,

I am on a macpro 5.1 (Middle 2010).
Actually running High Sierra.
I have the possibility to install Lion X.7.5 on an internal Hardrive to be able to start with Lion an able to use all my 32bits application.

It will work??

Thanks by advance.

If you are running High Sierra and you have a SSD boot drive, then it's very likely that your SSD drive is already converted as APFS volume. Lion x.7.5 can not read an APFS volume; only High Sierra and up can access boot APFS volume. So even if you split the partition into two, you can not install Lion on an APFS volume. So you need to dedicate a separate drive and format it to HFS+ and install Lion on this drive. To access both High Sierra and Lion easily, you can install rEFInd boot manager (an EFI boot manager) which gives you a boot menu and you can select to boot from High Sierra or Lion without hitting the Option key. It remembers your last selection so you can let it boot automatically to the last selected operating system. That is how I do it with my Mac Pro 5,1 booting to El-Capitan to run Final Cut Express 4, which failed in High Sierra.

p.pan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2019
If you are running High Sierra and you have a SSD boot drive, then it's very likely that your SSD drive is already converted as APFS volume. Lion x.7.5 can not read an APFS volume; only High Sierra and up can access boot APFS volume. So even if you split the partition into two, you can not install Lion on an APFS volume. So you need to dedicate a separate drive and format it to HFS+ and install Lion on this drive. To access both High Sierra and Lion easily, you can install rEFInd boot manager (an EFI boot manager) which gives you a boot menu and you can select to boot from High Sierra or Lion without hitting the Option key. It remembers your last selection so you can let it boot automatically to the last selected operating system. That is how I do it with my Mac Pro 5,1 booting to El-Capitan to run Final Cut Express 4, which failed in High Sierra.

Thank you very much for your answer.
Sorry but what is HFS+ format??

Because when I am on Hight Sierra I dont have this format...

Let me know.
Thanks a gain.

p.pan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Thanks a lot to everybody I install Lion X.7.5.

To Orph:
No I didnt upgraded the GPU yet.
I was thinking about this graphic card available in my country.
MSI Radeon RX580 Armor MK2 OC – 8GB GDDR5
Did she will still work with Lion X.7.5??
And do you have any feedback with this card??

Thanks again.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
you cant use that GPU on osx lion, you need something like osx10.12 (i think) to use an rx 580 or newer

you can use 32bit apps in osx10.14

williamkhall

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2013
Have just read this post; am running High Sierra (10.13.6) on mid 2011 mac mini ... can I follow your instructions to run Lion from an external drive? How do I get OS Lion from disk to hard drive? Thanks

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Have just read this post; am running High Sierra (10.13.6) on mid 2011 mac mini ... can I follow your instructions to run Lion from an external drive? How do I get OS Lion from disk to hard drive? Thanks

Yes you can. I setup my Mac Mini 2011 as dual boot between El-Capitan and Linux Mint, and rEFInd supports another OSX boot as well as Windows.

To get OS Lion from install disk image or DVD to hard drive is to create a USB bootable install disk first. Or attach an external DVD drive to the mini and boot from there. Reboot/Start your Mini by pressing the "Option" key on the keyboard. This will display the Apple boot manager and then you select the USB/DVD drive to install the OS from. Then when you want to install Lion in disk utility, format your external drive as usual and then install Lion on that. After you finished installing Lion, reboot back to High Sierra and download rEFInd and install it. When you reboot again, you will be presented with both High Sierra and Lion. Make sure that your USB external drive is bootable. The latest High Sierra build starting from 030 updates your Mini EFI boot firmware and SMC firmware that makes most external USB drive non-bootable. Only a select few does now. I use Vantech brand of USB enclosure, but the Samsung T5 series is also bootable. Firewire 800 external drives are always bootable if you have one attached.

Last edited:
Reactions: williamkhall

williamkhall

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2013
"Or attach an external DVD drive to the mini and boot from there."
[automerge]1570874363[/automerge]
thanks for your reply; as I am a newbie, I would appreciate a little more help.

You say: "Or attach an external DVD drive to the mini and boot from there." Is the next sentence, starting "Reboot/Start ..." the method of putting the os from the disk into the external hard drive?

What is (and what does it do) rEFInd ?

When I work in Lion, can I use apps already stored in the computer? In particular, a Canon printer DVD label app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.